Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 60
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: onion-free recipes???  (Read 3100 times)

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
onion-free recipes???
« on: November 25, 2007, 04:38:42 PM »

This is an odd topic, and nothing to do with writing, but I'm convinced somebody on this board can answer any question I could possibly come up with.  This may be a real test. :D

We're having a guest over next Friday who can't eat onions--at all.  I never realized how much I rely on onions in my recipes.  I had planned to do chili, but can't imagine chili without onions.  Do any of you have a good soup recipe that doesn't use them (or leeks or garlic or anything similar to onions)?  If so, I would appreciate hearing it.  If you don't want to put it on the forum, feel free to email me directly.

Thanks!
Donna

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: onion-free recipes???
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 05:53:33 PM »

Hi Donna,

Chili without onions or anything in the lily family works just fine.  You might find a pinch of brown sugar will make up for the lost taste.  May I suggest you also avoid sweet peppers such as the salad type green/yellow/red peppers.  I don't know about your friends, but my problem with those families is a mild sulfur allergy. 

However, a soup that can avoid everybody and is great is split pea.   I make mine with finely diced celery and carrots, cook it down until it's nice and thick and serve it with a blop of yougert on top sprinkled with dill.  If you eat pork, a ham hock makes a fine addition - cook it in the water first, pull it out when done, put in the split peas and veggies, shred the meat and add it back.

This also works fine with black eyed peas, or brown lentils.  Sometimes I add a bit of curry seasoning to the lentils both cooked in and on top.

I haven't mentioned salt because I don't use it - but add it to taste.  You might want to check on the black pepper - it's another high sulfur dude.

Feel free to email me if you have questions.
Good luck  :D
Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 02:45:49 AM »

A very popular non-onion soup in my family is cauliflower-broccoli soup. You melt 2 tblsps butter or margarine and stir in 2 tblsps flour. After 2 minutes add and mix with a whisk 6 cups of water with soup powder (I don't know what it's called, but I mean the powdered soup mix you add water to make a soup. I use it sparingly as flavoring for soups). Stir till smooth for 3 minutes. Add 2 chopped potatoes and 1 chopped sweet potato, cauliflower flowerets and broccoli stems, salt, white pepper, a pinch of nutmeg and 1 tblsp sugar. Boil and cook on low heat for 25 minutes. Before serving, add broccoli flowerets and 1 cup cooking cream (I mean the type of cream that holds up to heating, not like the regular sour cream). Heat for 3-4 minutes and serve.

Good luck!
Penny

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:01:55 PM »

I knew somebody would have answers for me. Thanks for the helpful hints, Elena and Penny!  Funny, I even put onions in my split pea soup, lentils and broccoli/cauliflower soup.  Maybe I'll try them without, but not this time.  As an added complication, another guest has a stomach ulcer.  This dinner is getting more complicated by the minute.   :o  I think I'll just serve plain chicken and dumplings with a couple of simple side dishes.  Thankfully, none of the prospective guests (as far as I know now) suffer from celiac disease or wheat allergies.

Thanks again!  Your comments made me hungry. :D

Donna

Brenda B.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 04:55:01 PM »

Probably too late on this, but ...
My favorite recipe site is  allrecipes.com
You can search for items with or without certain ingredients in it.
Purchase the Alex Masters Mystery series consisting of: Dead Birds Don't Sing, JailBird, A Bird By Any Other Name, and SwanSong at writewordsinc.com or amazon.com
"Dead Birds..." and "Jailbird" are now available in print!

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 10:54:28 PM »

Brenda, thanks!  That's a great site.  I put it right in my favorites.  Their search feature will be a real help.

Donna
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal