Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 65
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grafton/S  (Read 4504 times)

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: Grafton/S
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 11:36:45 AM »

I felt that this book - S - was written in an entirely different style (two timelines, different setting) because she, too, felt she needed a change.
Also, for the first time Kinsey makes friends, which shows some character development.

BTW, her first books in the series were translated into Hebrew, and the later ones weren't. Guess they didn't catch on here.

Jane, maybe you'd like to share your motive theory with me offline??

Penny

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 12:09:46 PM »

I'm almost afraid to admit this, but I've never read any of Grafton's alphabet series.

I haven't read them, either, Joyce, so you aren't totally alone. ;D

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 01:36:21 PM »

I was also very disappointed in S is for Silence.  I've read them all, but I think the stories and characters have gotten a bit stale.  In this one, I felt that the Kinsey character was flat.  I kept looking for more of the personality I remember from earlier books and didn't find it.  I'll have to think twice about "T is for...". 

Susan

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 02:20:33 PM »

I gave up on the series somewhere around E or F when it became clear to me that Kinsey wasn't going to grow as the series progressed.  Since she wasn't a flat fantasy character like Travis McGee, I felt she needed to deal with her personal demons as well as the exterior ones as the series went on.  Having the MC share a strong interior life with us without including it as part of the development of the series makes the story lines feel off balance to me.  Marcia Mueller and Janet Evanovich both have allowed their MC to 'grow' as time goes on.  Maybe not a lot, but definite maturing.

However, I am clearly in a minority as far as the general reading public goes.  Though a mystery book store that had lists of what books tended to sell together had John McDonald and Sue Grafton on the same list, while Marcia Mueller was on a different list which included Sara Paretsky.

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

jsmith98

• Cub
    • Justin Smith's Home Page
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 11:25:23 AM »

I never understood the appeal of the Grafton novels. I forced myself to read one and the main detective seems completely colorless. She's the kind of person you'd want to hire, if you actually needed a detective --- but just isn't that interesting to read about.
"As long as you are not aware of the continual law of Die and Be Again, you are merely a vague guest on a dark Earth."  - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal