Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 96
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Gay Post  (Read 5164 times)

Jonathon

• Wordsmith
A Gay Post
« on: August 08, 2011, 01:57:42 PM »

A long time ago, Caro posted a bit of her new novel that had a gay tryst.  I commented that it was titillating, which in turn made people comment on how I was gay.  I protested.  And someone wrote, "Methinks he protesteth too much."

Well, you were right.  I was in denial for a very long time, but now I'm Out as a gay transman.  And I'm happy, even though I recently got my heart broken by an online romance that turned out to be a complete and utter lie.  But such is life.  I fell in love with the words, not the man behind them.  So now I'm concentrating on writing, not romance.  Well, except for the kind in fiction.

So now I am writing a mystery with a gay protagonist and having a blast.  No need to worry about hurting someone's feelings or saying the wrong thing.  I'm just creating a nice fictional romance ... with a happy ending.  Well, after a few murders. :)

I'm settling on making friends online, which is a far better way to go about things.  No chance of heartbreak, and there's always possibilities.

I've also met a gay mystery writers.  I got his book from the library, checked out his web page and clicked on Contact, to say, "Thanks for leading the way."

I was expecting nothing but an automated response, but we've become penpals and that is so cool.

And it made me wonder, why isn't there a convention for Gay Mystery Writers?  Maybe something like a Gay Mystery Weekend where several writers of mysteries, who have some GBLT content in their books, could be on panels, give readings, sign and sell books.

Maybe even have one of those mystery games, where participants have to solve a murder, with volunteer actors playing the roles.

And the vendors tables selling mystery books and other convention thingies.  I used to go to science fiction conventions so there were a lot of strange things being sold.  Oh, costumes.  Dressing up as your favourite detective or even a cross-dressing contest.  The cutest man-babe?

Do any of you have experience setting up conventions?  I think this would be a cool convention for anyone, not just GBLT people.

Jon

Jonathon

• Wordsmith
Re: A Gay Post
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »

Sorry, too much too soon.

When I joined MWF a long time ago (two weeks after it was formed) I was already a man.  So I am the guy I aways was here.  But I just didn't know how to tell people, and didn't want to tell them, I was trans.

When I came out as gay, I had been alone for 18 years and I was extremely lonely.  I finally joined an online dating site and met some nice guys.

Then I saw Coming Out in America on TV, saw a guy I knew from a long time ago, doing so well.  People talking about how free they felt now they didn't have to lie by omission.

And so I came out on the dating website.  And I was still accepted.  Sure I got heartbroken, but that had nothing to do with who I am, what I am.

I hope I haven't shocked or dismayed my friends here by my double Out.  I'm just tired of keeping secrets from my friends.

Jon

sam709

• Cub
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »

I think the key is whether you're writing principally "gay" fiction or whether your protagonist just happens to be gay. I've got a couple of gay characters in my novels, not for any agenda, but because the wide variety of characters in my stories, some are gay. That doesn't alter the story. Depends on whether you're using gayness as an agenda or simply populating your story with different types of people. For me, it's the latter. I've only read one book where the private eye was gay, and didn't much care for the book, not because of gayness but because the content was fairly juvenile and not adult enough. One of my fave SF writers is gay (Chip Delany) and also happens to be black. Regardless I enjoy his stories because they're adult in tone. I think it makes a difference whether you're pushing an agenda or simply having gay characters in your story.

Jonathon

• Wordsmith
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:46:12 PM »

My books are mysteries first, the protagonists just happen to be a gay couple.

My friend, Jeffrey Round, writes the Bradford Fairfax murder mysteries and always has lots of gay plotlines, but mine, at least in book one and two, revolved around my two main characters.

Jon

linda

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:20:48 PM »

Jonathon,

I know that gay novels are much more prevalent now, but I'm wondering if there's enough of an audience to support a writing convention?  Even if there's not a lot of attendees at the first one, you could pick up steam and became very popular.

Shocked or dismayed me?  Jonathon, as long as you're a good person and a better friend, I don't care which adult you choose as a sexual partner. 

Glad to hear that you're happy and you've found a niche for your writing. 

Linda

sam709

• Cub
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »

I think there's a considerable market for gay literature, and growing. There are two gay oriented bookstores nearby my house, and apparently thriving.

It's a good decision for someone who wishes to write within a gay genre. The market is there, for sure. Just remember that the writing must first be quality, regardless of the thematic basis. Good luck!

dcragen

• Cub
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »

Jon--

i applaud your freedom.  would love to become "penpals" or whatever it's called these days.  email me at darincragen@yahoo.com

best wishes
darin

Andy Connor

• Cub
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 05:11:42 PM »

Hi Jon,

Damnit, there we were, my brother John and I, thought we had the Gay Mystery Writers niche all to ourselves... :)

Welcome to the club!  We're starting to form up a writing self-help collective (www.murderous-ink.co.uk) of writers (not strictly gay writers) and have several novels completed - tasters up in PDF format, going to convert them to EPub and Kindle once brother J has moved house (hopefully within the next 4 weeks or so) - you're welcome to email me at sildan@uko2.co.uk if you want to talk privately.

Oh, yeah, and congratulations on coming out.  It's the hardest first step you'll take, but each and every step after that becomes easier and easier.

Best!

Jonathon

• Wordsmith
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »

Thanks, everyone.

I am finally back on-line after getting a laptop.  I've been wanting one for a long time and the back to school sales finally pushed me to it.  That and my son's computer had a spectacular meltdown with sparks and smoke.  It was his power supply, but we won't know if anything else is damaged until he gets a new one.  After he moped around for a few days, I told him to take my old one and put it in his room so I could use the laptop on my desk.

So now I'm portable, which is really cool when I go to the Vancouver Screenwriting meetings.  We're having a one hour writing workshop on the weekend, so if I'm well enough to go (diverticulitis attack at the moment, OK if I don't move) it'll be fun to take my laptop with me.

And thank heaven's Will is more technical than me and moved my Favorites and my writing over from the old machine, difficult since Windows 7 and XP don't get along that well.  In fact, I couldn't even get drivers for my old Lexmark printer and had to email myself an attachment with the pages I needed to print for the last VS meeting, so I could print them up with the old machine.

So, nice to be back again, amongst friends. :)

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 06:19:45 PM »

I'm going to go all sappy here for a second about this thread.

I'm thrilled by it, for two reasons. First, that Jonathon felt comfortable enough to come out here. I can't imagine what it was like for him to make that post, but I'm happy he felt safe here.

More importantly, I'm happy he was right about it being a safe place. Very proud to be running this place.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Jonathon

• Wordsmith
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:12:15 PM »

Thanks, Bob.

I'm at a loss for words, and anyone who knows me, knows that takes a lot.

I joined the original MWF 2 weeks after it started and value the friends I've made here.

Jonathon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal