Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 227
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A voice from the distant past  (Read 3374 times)

laurihart

• Global Moderator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
A voice from the distant past
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:31:04 PM »

I suspect quite a few of you don't know me.  I started the Mystery Writer's Forum about a billion years ago and after a bunch of years of moderating it, I handed it off to Bob, the only guy crazy enough to take it over.  I think he probably has now moderated it longer than I did originally. Deepest respect, Bob.

So, I got an email from Byron (McAllister), a 'charter' member  (which just means he's been here since near the beginning) of MWF, asking me to let people know what I've been up to.

Well, as with all people over 45, I had a few years of medical problems that went on a bit longer than they should have due to doctors being unconvinced I had problems (which resulted in a year of recovery time after rotator cuff surgery...I'll never be able to pitch in the majors!)  After recovering from one problem, I had what my husband likes to refer to as "chick problems"...again, conservative medical care let things go on too long causing for a longer recovery.

On the upside, I've been to Turkey, Vietnam, Spain, Peru, Bolivia, Mexico and China...all just for fun. 

Oh, and most recently I went to Burning Man.  ( My blog at http://www.travelpod.com/members/laurihart )  If you've never heard of Burning Man...well, it's a hippie art festival in the desert that has a self-reliance culture.

To support all this, I'm a CPA who works as a consultant with companies with problems.  I've been doing this since I started MWF so I've been doing it for a lot of years now.  My last project was working with the organizers of Burning Man...which partially explains why I went to the event when I hate the heat.

I'm between projects currently, but it looks like I'll be working with a start-up company very soon, again.

Most of my writing is done in 140 character chunks on Twitter these days (you can follow me, but be warned it is definitely "R" rated at times).  And the blog entries you can find on Travelpod (as noted above).

I have one completed mystery manuscript (never shopped) and one that I still feel could use a little polish.  I never shopped the first one because my father died just after I finished it and I was too devastated to deal with rejection.  Polishing of the second one got lost in medical problems and the need to make money. 

The problem is I make a LOT of money as a consultant.  And I love to travel.  So, that tends to push writing to third priority.

I haven't been to Left Coast Crime or Bouchercon since I transferred MWF to Bob.  I miss it.  I miss MWF.  But, mystery writing... well, it just hasn't been a focus.  Mystery reading, even, has been at a much lower volume....sometimes life gets that way.

I hope all of the 'charter' members are now published and  those I haven't met are wildly successful, too.

Mysteriously yours,
Lauri A. Hart
former moderator of MWF

Kat

• Hack
Re: A voice from the distant past
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:16:31 PM »

Lauri,
I'm one of the brand new ones here and I really enjoyed your post. It's nice to learn a little history of this forum. It's not a very active forum right now but I'm keeping my fingers crossed things will pick up.
Thanks for stopping by,
Kat

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:44:02 PM »

Lauri,

It's great to hear from you after all this time.  Stick around and keep in touch, even if mystery writing isn't one of your top priorities anymore.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 01:02:23 PM »

Thanks for the update, Lauri!

Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:45:24 PM »

That "only guy crazy enough" thing was a compliment, right? :)

Good to see you drop in here, Lauri. Hope the duct tape idea worked out for you!  :D  ;D
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »

Hi Lauri,

It's nice to hear from you.  Always.

Keep in touch.

God bless,

Matthew S.

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 07:03:22 PM »

Hello Lauri,

Another long time member saying it's great to hear from you. Miss you lots! Sorry to hear of all the ills, but the travel sounds great. Do drop in occasionally, even if it's just to let us know where in the world you decoded tp visit next.

Best,
Lynette

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »

Hi, Laurie!  I'm sure glad you stopped in.  All the best with all your projects!

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »

Good to see you back, Laurie.
Don't be a stranger from now on.
As you can see, your 'baby' is in good hands.  Bob's doing a great job of keeping it going.

Charles King

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • The Mysterious Writ
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:39:24 PM »

Hi Lauri you globetrotter you.  ;D

C.King 8)
A writer must teach himself that the basest of all things is to be afraid.

William Faulkner

linda

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 01:57:41 PM »

Laurie!

It's so good to read your words on this site again. 

So, life gets in the way of writing?  Imagine that.

I'm just glad to hear that you're still writing.  It was great to hear from you.

Linda

Kelly K.

• Cub
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 11:44:08 AM »

Hi, Laurie.  I'm not sure you remember me, and I rarely make it to MWF any longer, but it was good to hear from you.  The travel sounds great. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal