Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 232
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mail Fraud  (Read 5174 times)

kathie

• Cub
Re: Mail Fraud
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 03:52:10 AM »

I generally pop in a promotional postcard from my latest book and send it back.
Kathie

Michele Viney

• Hack
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 04:27:49 AM »

I like that ;) Nice one Kathie

Michele
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre

stevent

• Expositor
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 11:47:22 PM »

I've heard of one writer who uses the postage paid envelopes by putting a label with another address on it and mailing out promotional material. That seems riskier to me, but then, they did send the postage paid envelope without it having been requested so I'm sure they realize that they could be fueling someone else's ad campaign, no?

Joyce S

• Expositor
Re: Mail Fraud -- interesting update
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 04:44:06 AM »

Thought you guys might be interested in a response I got from one of my 'returned' offers.

A nice form letter. First paragraph read: "We recently received the response coupon you returned to us for the [store name] prescreen account offer. Your response indicated that you wish to be excluded from any future mailings of this type."

The next paragraph described my rights to prevent any credit reporting agency from using information about me in connection with any credit transaction not initiated by me and then went onto to read: "Accordingly, in situations where you have not requested credit, you may exercise this right by calling 1-888-567-8688, the common toll-free notification number established by national credit reporting agencies to process such requests, or by writing to: Trans Union LLC, Attn: Name Removal Option, P.O. Box 97328, Jackson, MS 39288-7328; Equifax Options, P.O. Box 740123, Atlanta, GA 30374-0123; Experian Opt-Out, P.O. Box 919, Allen, TX 75013."

The next paragraph talked about sending a written request to the Direct Marketing Association (DMA). "Please send your request to be Added to this list (including your name and address) to: DIRECT MARKETING ASSOCIATION, MAIL PREFERENCE SERVICE, PO BOX 9008, FARMINGDALE, NY 11735-9008."

The next paragraph indicated: "Please note that your request can only be processed by organizations like us who use DMA's mail preference service. Therefore, submitting your request to the DMA probably will reduce but not eliminate the direct marketing offers you receive."

The back of the page looks like a standard Federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act notice.

Who would have thought that I would actually receive a response? And I'm sort of proud to see that the response is from GE Money Bank -- Since I am a GE employee, it makes me feel good to see that my "big corporation" actually noticed my little mailing.

By the way, I understand that if you call the toll-free number above, you name is removed for two years, but if you write, your name is removed permanently.

Joyce S
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 04:45:46 AM by Joyce S »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal