Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 168
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: third time's a charm  (Read 2194 times)

ella

• Expositor
third time's a charm
« on: March 14, 2008, 04:45:34 PM »

Anybody here superstitious?

And if so, who's next--me?

Yesterday I got an email that I didn't open until this morning.
A woman I know who had volunteered to help me bathe Mira wrote to say she couldn't, her mother is dying and she is flying out.

A few minutes ago I opened another email from a friend, his wife's sister just died, and she is flying out.

Ella
waiting for the third one... ... .

ella

• Expositor
Re: third time's a charm
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:54:44 PM »

Just went into another forum that I use occassionally. One of the posters there is in Hospice care and sedated with morphine. He has been for a while, and in fact, is (was) contributing updates on himself and the care as he's able.

His recent update was yesterday.

Does that count as the third? Can I relax now?
Ella

Angie

• Hack
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:18:27 PM »

Oh, man. That's horrible! Here's hoping your run of bad news is over!

Angie

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »

All this started Thursday AM when I went to a feed store I hadn't been in in  a long time. I was the only customer and the several clerks were talking w/each other. As I got closer, I realized they were talking about the one fellow having chased a bird out o the building that morning, and another clerk told of haing to chase one out the day before.
That reminded me of an incident I experienced in probably 1980-81. I had opened the store I was working in, and the ancient clerk that worked with me arrived. A bird flew down toward her and she went bonkers--screaming that a bird in a building meant death and it was all my fault.
We got the bird out, and waited all day to hear of someone's death.
Late the next day, I got a call from a friend to call my sister. I did.
My father had died the day before.
Ella

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »

If it's any comfort, I believe the origin of the bird business, is actually about crows.  Seeing a third crow in a place where it is not usual to see crows was considered a harbinger of bad tidings.  The worst a non- crow bird in a building can do to you is to poop somewhere very inconvenient.

As far as the truth value of crows as auguries or coincidences I keep an open mind.  Hitchcock not withstanding.

Still, I do know what you mean that once something tragic happens, it feels as though it's followed by more of the same.

Your ancient clerk would make wonderful color in a mystery.  Much like the three witches in the Shakespeare play.  I do not include it's name since that is considered bad luck  :D

Hope several lovely things come your way.
Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 09:28:01 PM »

When a crow is to take a role in a play, one avoids bad luck by avoiding wishing it good luck.  Instead one says, "Break an egg."
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 02:49:07 AM »

Elena,

Re your comment below:

Your ancient clerk would make wonderful color in a mystery.  Much like the three witches in the Shakespeare play.  I do not include it's name since that is considered bad luck  :D

Do you mean "The Scottish Play?"

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 07:02:02 AM »

"Break an egg."

LOL, Byron!

Ella, I do hope you and those around you get good news for awhile.

Kathy W.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 10:04:21 AM »

Do you mean "The Scottish Play?"

Thank you Jim - I had one of those pesky senior moments when I was trying to express myself  :D 

And, a thank you to you Byron - I had always wondered how 'break an egg' came to be a good luck charm.  I had thought it might be based somehow on 'break a leg' for opening night.

Elena

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 09:20:12 PM »

What?! You mean it really is a supposed good luck charm?  Oy! Gotta go back to my Ovaltine!
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 06:13:42 PM »

Ella, I do hope you and those around you get good news for awhile.
Kathy W.
The recent is my good friend was diagnosed w HIV a few days ago after staving it off for close to 15 years with diet, exercise, and healthy living.
Then another friend called to say she is having a second major operation: She had one several months ago to repair her lungs, this one, in two days, is to repair several vertabrates (C3 to C7, I think she said) cuz they're crushing her spinal cord.
Boy, I hope I'm not contageous!

Ella
who is not waiting for any shoes to drop this time.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 10:40:49 PM »

Then another friend called to say she is having a second major operation: ... this one, in two days, is to repair several vertabrates

Look on the "bright" side: apparently it isn't necessary to repair her invertebrates.

Byron Leon McAllister.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »

No, Ella, you're not - it's age - the older we get the more wear and tear and the more opportunities for opprotunistic nasties.  I'm seeing it in myself, and all around me.  As one woman, who works out regularly, put it "I now have muscles that ache that I can't even find on the charts."  Every year we seem to lose some physical elasticity, but, like many others, I'm finding that I am gaining more mental and emotional elasticity  :D

Elena

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »

No, Ella, you're not - it's age - the older we get ...Elena

Old?                OLD?

Who you callin' OLD?

;D You're probably right, and it beats the alternative. Thanks, I think, for the reminder.
Ella

Brenda B.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 11:20:21 PM »

I'm sorry about all your sad news Ella.
Here's another story though.
The church where I work has a visitation pastor. He walks with a slight limp and is getting up in age, probably in his 70s, maybe not though. As I age I find it's harder to tell a person's age.
Anyhow. Wednesday of this week, Holy Week a very busy week, his wife was scheduled for a knee replacement. He takes her to the hospital, gets her situated. Realizes he's forgotten something in the car and goes to retrieve it. Falls in the parking lot and can't get up, in extreme pain. Probably severly broken. Wife has not yet made it into surgery so they get her out of her gown, back into her clothes and take her down to the Emergency room. Her surgery is now postponed for at least three months and he had surgery Wed. night around 7:30 to have a rod and several pins put in his leg.
As for things coming in threes. I see it happen a lot in my "line of business." We seem to have three deaths close together more often than not.
At work, well there was the broken leg. Prior to that the married couple who were organist and music director for this church for 30 years turned in their resignation on Monday.
We just sit back and wait and see if another shoe drops.
Ella, you've had enough shoes to fill a closet, we'll pray it's over for you!
Purchase the Alex Masters Mystery series consisting of: Dead Birds Don't Sing, JailBird, A Bird By Any Other Name, and SwanSong at writewordsinc.com or amazon.com
"Dead Birds..." and "Jailbird" are now available in print!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal