Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 52
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Agent Jack Bauer  (Read 5432 times)

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
Re: Agent Jack Bauer
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 09:44:17 PM »

Another parallel between Jack and Jane that just occurred to me is that they both have substance abuse problems.  In this latest (and apparently last) installment of Prime Suspect, Jane's an alcoholic (I don't recall her having a drinking problem in earlier installments; does anyone else?).  And, in the third season of 24, Jack's a junkie, having gotten deliberately hooked on heroin to make his cover identity more convincing.

Being driven to drink by the Job is one thing.  I've known cops who went that route, sad to say.  But I've never met an undercover cop who deliberately got himself hooked on heroin just to protect his undercover persona, let alone one who subsequently, and almost single-handedly, neutralized a nationwide terrorist attack while jonesing the whole time, all without missing a step.  Now that's dedication.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 01:38:15 PM »

I also don't remember the drinking in past episodes, but it worked superlatively well here. I thought the first segment very strong, mostly because of the personal angle: the hard, aggressive woman superintendent coming apart at the seams (and suffering professional embarrassment and stricture) because of her father's dying from cancer and from sheer loneliness. Particularly telling was the scene where her father tells her to keep his condition from her sister, because she isn't as strong as Jane.  It was beautifully done.
(and proves to me again that mysteries and crime novels are enriched immeasurably by the personal lives of the protagonists).
Ingrid

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 02:43:56 AM »

I don't know about undercover cops, Jim, but yeaterday I read an interview with an actor who said he became an heroin addict some 20 years preciously, when he wanted to get into his role in a play. He thought he'd only try it to get the feeling, and couldn't find the way out for years. (He didn't act for more than a decade and only got back onstage about three years ago, I think.) He now speaks in schools about his story.

And Ingrid, I totally agree with the protagonists' lives enriching the story. I think most of the current series try for that. One case in point is the American series about the FBI people trying to locate missing people. (I don't know what it's called in English.)

Penny

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 05:53:38 PM »

As for 24:  can't seem to find it on FOX, but I see they have a lot of "paid programme" entries listed.

Ingrid

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 06:50:06 PM »

Ingrid,

I don't think this season has commenced yet.  I believe Season 6 starts in January.

Michele Viney

• Hack
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 05:11:46 AM »

And Ingrid, I totally agree with the protagonists' lives enriching the story. I think most of the current series try for that. One case in point is the American series about the FBI people trying to locate missing people. (I don't know what it's called in English.)

Penny

Penny,

I think the series you are thinking of is called Without a Trace, and it's one of my favourites too!

Michele
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal