Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 190
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Agent Jack Bauer  (Read 5366 times)

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
Agent Jack Bauer
« on: November 12, 2006, 02:46:03 PM »

I don't know how many of you are fans of 24.  I find I can never quite make the commitment to watching it, or even remembering to record it, every week, plus I don't like waiting 24 weeks to find out what's gonna happen. So Ive either waited 'til Fox's cable station, FX, had an all-day 24 marathon, and recorded the whole thing (which I did for Seasons 1 and 2), or I've gotten the DVD of the whole season out of the library (which I finally managed to do this week with Season 3).

Although I never found federal law enforcement to be quite this exciting during my years of government service (of course, I wasn't working for CTU), I have to admit that I really like the show, and find myself, when I watch it, easily getting through the whole season in the course of four or five days.

Noodling around on the 'Net, I found out several previously unknown facts about the hero, Jack Bauer, that I thought you'd all find interesting:

Superman wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

Jack Bauer got Hellen Keller to talk.

1.6 billion Chinese are angry with Jack Bauer. Sounds like a fair fight.

Jack Bauer once forgot where he put his keys. He then spent the next half-hour torturing himself until he gave up the location of the keys.

And my personal favorite previously unknown fact about Jack Bauer:

Killing Jack Bauer doesn’t make him dead. It just makes him angry.

In deference to those of you who are Prime Suspect fans (and I'm a big fan myself, by the way), there is a alleged unknown fact making it's way around that I feel I should mention:

Special Agent Jack Bauer wouldn't last ten seconds with Detective Superintendent Jane Tennyson.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 01:44:06 PM by JIM DOHERTY »

Charles King

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • The Mysterious Writ
Re: Agent Jack Bauer
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 03:02:07 PM »

Bauer wouldn't last ten seconds with Detective Superintendent Jane Tennyson.

Yeah, I can imagine that conversation: "Yes, Mum. No Mum. Yes, Mum."

I'm a big 24 fan. Pity I have to wait for 07, but I hear it's going to be another good season. On the downside he does seem a little too indestructible, but then the writers keep upping the consequences of the previous seasons on his shoulders, which acts as a kind of balancing tool, so when they finally knock him off it will be something big, if not long overdue. ... Also, Jim, you have to go get Tivo, or like service. It will change your life.

Charles  8) 

A writer must teach himself that the basest of all things is to be afraid.

William Faulkner

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 03:12:57 PM »

Oh, I don't know about Jack...

• When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
  • There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
  • Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.
  • When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down.
  • There is no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold, so he turned the sun up.
  • Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

;D
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Chase

• Scribbler
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 03:42:57 PM »

Bob,

Ha ha ha.  Love the Chuck Norris lines.  Chuck's no fictional character like Jack, but he's certainly become larger than life.

I put Steve Segal in the same class.  Watching those guys perform is like sitting spellbound through the old war and cowboy movies starring Audie Murphy.  Acting may not have been the greatest, but whatever daring do was done, you had to say to yourself, "It's not all hype; he really did that stuff."

Chase

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 03:51:27 PM »

The thing about Audie Murphy is that he wasn't just built up to be larger than life, like Norris or Seagal (nothing against either of them).  He really was larger than life.

If you read about what he managed to do during two years of almost continuous combat during WW2, he really does come across as being as close to a real-life Jack Bauer as one can imagine.

And, like Jack Bauer, when the guns went silent, he was never really able to find any peace in his personal life.

Chase

• Scribbler
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 04:35:22 PM »

Never met Norris.  Just admire him and his skills from afar.

I saw Murphy in the late '50s, then a major in the Texas National Guard, speak at Fort Ord, California.  Murphy was quite small and extremely handsome.  According to army records and those at Fort Ord who served with him, Murphy's exploits in his book, To Hell and Back, were seriously understated.

I also saw Steve Seagal in action at Gunsite, a shooting school in Arizona.  Steve may be Hollywood, but his on-screen skills are the real thing.

Chase

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 04:49:08 PM »

Who is Jack Bauer?  Is this something only accessible for people who pay for special cable channels?

Ingrid

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 06:52:58 PM »

Ingrid,

Jack Bauer, played by Kiefer Sutherland, is the hero of the Fox Network TV series 24.  Each season of 24 tells the story of one particularly frantic day in the career of Bauer, and each episode in the 24-episode season is one hour of that day.

Jack is a government investigator, specifically a field agent in a non-existent federal law enforcement agency called the Counter-Terrorism Unit, or CTU. 

24 isn't a cable show, but, at least for the first two seasons, the Fox Network's cable affiliate, FX, spent one day showing the entire 24-episode season after the show had completed its first run and its summer rerun season on the broadcast channel.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:40:18 PM by JIM DOHERTY »

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 07:50:12 PM »

Oh, dear.  I hear of all these good TV shows, but I have an unexplained aversion to TV.  Must be the remote in my husband's hands...no control!  So, I escape to the written word.  Maybe someday I will rent the DVD.   ;)

Susan

Zara

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 09:25:13 PM »

How come you're talking about 24 while I'm running a 24 marathon with my brother in law? Hum!  ??? Who is lurking out there...
Like Jim I hate having to wait 24 week to have it all so I order the series from England and watch it all as fast as possible 4 to 6 episodes a day. On this side of the Atlantic we are far behind (season 5) but I'm on my way to order the next season to keep up with you guys... My other favorite show -- with a man larger than life and hard to kill (no, it's not Walker Texas Ranger) -- is NCIS, love the characters. I don't understand, however, how an American agency like NCIS could let someone from the Mossad be involved in their organization :o
Zara

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 09:29:49 PM »

Zara,

Officially, I don't think she's part of the organization.  She's a liason betweent the organization and Mossad.

However, I'd be very surprised if there is any real-life counterpart.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 09:56:18 PM by JIM DOHERTY »

Zara

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 09:46:16 PM »

That is how they explained it but she is involved in their investigations and poking around classified files! Couldn't they come up with something more believable? Oh, maybe I just miss Kate :'(
Zara

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 10:39:31 AM »

This is almost the first time for me to be able to recognize some of these TV characters - we usually don't get the current shows. But we do get 24 and I like it. It doesn't bother me to wait a whole week for the next episode. I've read a critique in a newspaper here which says part of the attraction is that, OK - excluding Jack Bauer - you can never be sure which main character is going to be killed off, and that adds to the suspense.

Also Jane Tennyson sounds familiar, I think her series visited here a little while ago. Is she the British older blond detective? If so, I tend to agree with Jim about Jack Bauer's chances...

Penny

Michele Viney

• Hack
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 11:40:07 AM »

Yes Jane Tennison is from the Prime Suspect series, played by the incomparable Helen Mirren - soon to be seen in the film The Queen. Sadly the last ever Prime Suspect played on BBC 1 (Irish viewers can get the British stations on cable) a couple of weeks ago. But the series was so good I'm sure they will be playing repeats for years to come. And you're right Jack versus Jane - no contest.

I'm always delighted to see so many British crime dramas lauded here on MWF from Frost to the Inspector Linley Mysteries.

Michele
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 01:49:55 PM »

Okay.  I get Fox.  I will watch 24.  Thanks much.

Yes, Helen Mirren is great. And she is the British blonde, Penny.

Susan, get your own T.V. That situation is highly unfair.

I think the Inspector Linley shows are also only loosely based on Elizabeth George's books.  Again, excellent shows with fine actors.

Ingrid (not watching much T.V. but loving the British mysteries) 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal