Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 60
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: And one for Elena...  (Read 2275 times)

Tony

• Scribbler
And one for Elena...
« on: August 08, 2008, 05:56:34 PM »

This one should test ya'

The name and address please, of the only public House (pub) in England licensed to sell both U.K. and U.S. postage stamps....

Oh go on then, just one more...

Not only the smallest public square in The U.K. and still retaining its original gas lighting, but also the the square in which the last duel in The U.K. was fought.
A plaque on the wall erected by the Anglo-Texan Society indicates that from 1842 - 45 a building here was occupied by the Legation from The Republic of Texas to The Court of St James's.
Name that square? 

Tony.... :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 06:03:12 PM by Tony »
"A man may forget his triumphs
whilst his failures shape him"
Julius Caesar

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: And one for Elena...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:36:39 PM »

Oh Tony, you sneaky Pete you!

The pub is the Mayflower Inn and it's at 117 Rotherhit St.  SE164NF

The square is Pickering Place, besides being a famous dueling site (Beau Brummel dueled there), the Anglo-Texan society founding president was Graham Greene who had a flat overlooking the square. 

If I didn't know I'd be depriving you of valuable writing time, I'd reciprocate ;D  But, I know only one of us is retired :D

Oh what the heck - what is the origin of  the traditional cowboy bandana?

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 04:35:42 PM »

what is the origin of  the traditional cowboy bandana? (Elena)

And Tony, can you name some of the many uses a cowboy has for it?

;D Peg H
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

Tony

• Scribbler
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 05:54:09 PM »

Oh this is indeed naughty...Someone call the management; I thought I had the monopoly on the questions thingy.... :)

Now then, to answer Peg H first I found this....

The cowboy kerchief or bandana was another thing one could not be a cowboy without. The bandana had many uses, most notably as a dust mask while driving cattle kicking up dirt, as earmuffs in cold weather, as protection from sunburn on the neck, as a pot holder for hot pots or branding irons, as prevention against snow blindness in winter, a tourniquet or sling in case of injury and just in case they were planning to rob the stage, it made a nifty mask!. Red was the most common color and it could be made of silk, cotton or linen. Much like today, the bandana was generally folded into a triangle and tied around the neck, but with the knot in the back.

And on to Elena....Now the unwritten rule of this question malarky is that the question has to have a cross cultural reference ie, a couple of squares in London that the American types use, a house in London once occupied by an American...etc etc...You get the general idea...

This being said I found nothing on the origins of the bandana that might have a cross cultural link in the afore mentioned and prescribed manner....However, I am prepared to take a stab at a cross cultural link....Here are my thoughts:

I reckon the bandana, although adopted by the cowboys and made there own was in fact an item of apparal linked to and derived from the ties worn by Knights of The Relm in medievel times.   Such ties were usually the colours attributed to a fair lady the Knight was attracted to and were derived from her handkerchief.....But alas I am guessing.

Oh by the way, and I forgot to mention, your answers were spot on ma'm well done indeed!  I can see that on my travels around London in pursuance of American/London links I am going to have to be a bit more cunning and latteral.... ;D

You have me at an advantage ma'm

Tony... :)
"A man may forget his triumphs
whilst his failures shape him"
Julius Caesar

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »

Hey Tony,

You missed the cross cultural part of the bandana.  Both the pattern and the function originated in India.  When they started importing them into the UK in spite of the dye being very fugitive, they were loved so much that they decided to make them locally - specifically in Paisley Scotland - which is why that particular pattern came to be called Paisley.

Monopoly - you said Monopoly????  Pass Go and collect $200.00 (104.15 pounds) sort of thing???

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 12:44:54 AM »

Very good Tony!

Let us not forget the pirate's use of a bandanna as well.  Hehehe!

;D  Peg H
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal