Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 224
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: any practicing musicians or friends of musicians onboard?  (Read 5600 times)

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
any practicing musicians or friends of musicians onboard?
« on: July 12, 2007, 05:36:16 PM »

I haven't posted much lately, but looks like I'm not alone in that.  I'll take the lazy way out and offer congratulations and happy birthdays (late, as usual  :-[) all at once here.  I hope all of you are having a wonderful summer and getting much writing done.

Now for the questions:  I've been polishing the third story in my "Fiddling With Murder" cozy mystery series.  I've written a scene where a bluegrass band (professional, but "famous" only locally) is practicing in the basement of a house.  The owner has created a place for them to practice that is as close as he can get it to a stage environment.  I called it a studio, but I'm not sure that's the right name for it.  They don't actually record in it, just practice.

Have any of you ever seen anything like this?  If so, did it have a name other than studio and would you be so kind as to describe your impressions of it?  I promise I won't steal your words, I'm just curious as to what it might look like, and I don't know any professional musicians to ask--unless... scotfiddle are you still with us?

Donna
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 05:49:12 PM by dhparker »

Lee Lofland

• Expositor
    • www.leelofland.com
Re: any practicing musicians or friends of musicians onboard?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 08:07:45 PM »

I play guitar and a few other instruments and have played in several bands over the years. Some were really good; some were not so good. We never used a special name for the place where we practiced. We just referred to it as practice and everyone just knew where to go, which was usually someone's basement or garage. We did have an actual studio for one road band I played in, but I don't recall anyone ever calling it a studio. In fact, the building was once occupied by a fitness center so we called it "the gym."  I'm sure we weren't the norm.
There are no perfect crimes, merely imperfect investigations.

www.leelofland.com

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 09:48:55 PM »

Lee, I'm not a professional musician, but I married one (Katy's got two degrees; one in music and the other in accounting).

She said that she woudld call a room like the one you described either a "studio" or a "music room."

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 05:00:00 AM »

My neighbor has a friend in a Bluegrass band I can put the question to her if you'd like.

Peg H
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

jnichols

• Cub
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:55:05 AM »

Wouldn't they call it a "rehearsal room?" Practicing is what you do when you're learning how to play an instrument, when you're a performer you rehearse.

Judy Nichols
www.judy5cents.com

Lee Lofland

• Expositor
    • www.leelofland.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 07:32:27 AM »

Gee, when I played in bands (knowing some of the jugheads I played with) if you called the practice a rehearsal they'd think you meant a body fell out of a funeral hearse and you had to put him back inside.
There are no perfect crimes, merely imperfect investigations.

www.leelofland.com

Janet Koch

• Expositor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 12:15:04 PM »

Gee, when I played in bands (knowing some of the jugheads I played with) if you called the practice a rehearsal they'd think you meant a body fell out of a funeral hearse and you had to put him back inside.
----------------
Okay, I'm slow. Had to read that twice to get it. Funny, Lee :)

Donna, I think you can call your musician's practice room whatever you want to call it. Musicians are creative types -- let your characters give it a goofy, off-the-wall name!

Good luck,
Janet

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 09:45:34 PM »

Lots of Bluegrass in the south - generally laid back types  who prefer to practice outside in someone's back forty, a parking lot, or where ever anyone welcomes them.  Bad weather moves the energy inside.  Some of the names I've heard refer to the place, such as "The Gym" as Lee mentioned.  More often the name would refer to the person who set the place up.

In my experience 'studio' is more commonly used by more formal muscians.  For example - I have a neighbor who when rehearsing with his band says that they practice in his studio.  But, when he's jamming, or playing bagpipes with friends, they refer to playing at the 'purple door'.  This is the color of the door leading into the 'studio'.  It's all the same place, just different musical cultures.

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 03:21:52 PM »

Thanks, eveybody.  It's great hearing all your ideas!

Donna

clayiseditor

• Hack
    • E.C. Morgan
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 08:00:50 AM »

I have a friend who is in a punk rock band that has gained a little bit of a following around the country. Back when they were still unknown, they just practiced in "the basement."

Nowdays, when preparing for a tour, they rent out some warehouse space. When actually recording, he says they are back in the studio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal