Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 97
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bust by Bruen and Starr  (Read 1921 times)

stevent

• Expositor
Bust by Bruen and Starr
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:22:47 PM »

Ingrid mentioned disliking this book. I've read a couple of others by Bruen but i haven't read anything by Starr. This book was hard to like (not impossible) because I think it was something of a lark for both authors. They seemed to have a lot of fun topping each other. When taken less seriously than most novels - when taken in the spirit of the lark that it is - I think it can be enjoyed. It took me a few chapters to get into that mode, but then it worked. Overall, I'd give the book a B, I think. I have a couple of Jason Starr novels to read. I'm thinking they may well both work better separately.

As for what this particular novel has to say about hard boiled novels in general, I don't think it says anything on that score. Frankly I think any genre (any writing) can lend itself to flat characters. Bruen's Jack Taylor novels are definitely hard boiled, but Taylor's a pretty well rounded character.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
Re: Bust by Bruen and Starr
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »

Yes, I agree.  I never really think of the Jack Taylor novels as hard-boiled. Much too deep and carefully written. Even a tad literary. This may be a definition problem.

Ingrid

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 10:42:59 AM »

Ingrid,

Re your comment below:

I never really think of the Jack Taylor novels as hard-boiled Much too deep and carefully written. Even a tad literary. This may be a definition problem.

That's actually what I took issue with before, that hard-boiled was, by definition, not deep and not carefully written.  Not the judgment that a particular hard-boiled  novel was less than satsifying, but the presumption that anything that was hard-boiled was, by definition, shallow and carelessly written.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 01:44:29 PM by JIM DOHERTY »

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 10:52:34 AM »

IMHO hard boiled stories are not at all easy to write.  Staying consistent and smooth and not wandering off takes a lot of effort.  I once did a short one on commission and felt I more than earned my money.  I kept a volume of Chandler at my elbow for vocabulary and style.  Though I must admit it was fun to do, as well as an excellent writing exercise for pushing me way past my comfort zone.

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal