Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Facebook?  (Read 3613 times)

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Facebook?
« on: October 25, 2007, 09:22:26 AM »

I know Byron and Daniel are on Facebook. Is anyone else using it, especially those of you who are published?
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 11:52:56 AM »

I know Byron and Daniel are on Facebook. Is anyone else using it, especially those of you who are published?

Is Facebook the same as Ning?  Two versions of Ning (Daniel's "Crimespace" and somebody else's "Bookspace") sent me invitations to join, and I did, but so far I can't tell that showing up there has made any difference in my life, writing life or any other kind of life.  One quickly accumulates a vast number of "friends," but the "friendships" are strictly token, consisting of showing pictures, caricatures, or symbolic weird stuff representing ones self on each other's Ning sites.  Nobody there has--so far--remarked that they were tempted to buy any of "Runaway Nudist," "Undercover Nudist," or "To Kill a Nudist" on the basis of being my "friend."  E-friendships are kind of a strange thing in any case, and even stranger when casually acquired.
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 01:38:25 PM »

Don't know about Facebook.  I'm on Daniel's Crime Space (which has quickly grown to 1000 subscribers). The forum topics are often interesting and some well-known people belong/ post.
I don't know about selling books there. I doubt it's a good place for that, though some members are readers and book store owners.  I did find someone who had read my latest.  And was kind enough to say it deserved its starred review.  :)

Ingrid

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 04:33:42 PM »

Crimespace has forum topics?  I gotta look harder at the site.  All I've detected so far is opportunities for me to post videos (I have none to post), pictures (I have none that seem relevant) and bloggery (don't think I'm ready for that).  And, of course, the "friends" thing.  I reckon I'd better go there now and look for Ingrid (and for Bob?)

Addendum:In fact, I did that, in part. Looked for Ingrid, but the search mechanism doesn't know she's there.  Spotted Forum right away and visited it, but you know something: it's a navigational nightmare: you have to click and click and click to see what's going on, and then, in the cases where I clicked and clicked and clicked, the answer was, "not much."  I guess it takes some getting used to.  (So does this one, but it already meets most of my needs.  I really only joined there because Arline Chase--remember her?--told me I should increase my web presence with the intent to remind  people that they can buy what I wrote; shallow maybe, but that's the reason.)

Byron
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 04:54:45 PM by Byron Leon McAllister »
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 05:28:16 PM »

Well. in view of the fact that we have few enough opportunities to communicate with the world, the internet is nice, and cheap, and usually entertaining.

Don't know why you can't find me (I.J.Parker).  My blog isn't visited much, so I rarely post, but I do post on the forum -- usually in my inimitable and aggravating fashion. At least they aren't DorothyL., so I haven't been attacked yet.  Dorothy L. is a fan site. There you can post and flatter fans.  That might bring some sales.

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 11:45:59 AM »

I have a facebook account, but not as an attempt to market my writing.  It's the only way I can keep up with my three young nieces and see the photos my brother posts of his grandsons.   :D  I did post my latest book cover as my "face" photo, but I doubt if anybody outside of family sees it.  In fact, I may have it set up so that nobody but them can see it.  I don't remember which option I chose there.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 02:24:19 PM by dhparker »

clayiseditor

• Hack
    • E.C. Morgan
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 05:34:02 PM »

I have a myspace page, but don't use it much.

I also have a Crimespace page — again, don't spend much time there, but I made that decision after I was subjected to a particularly harsh attack. I have better things to do with my time.

Clay

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 09:42:22 AM »

Clay, you were attacked where?  Not on Crimespace, I hope.  That seemed pretty civilized to me.

Ingrid

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »

Don't know why you can't find me (I.J.Parker).
Finally did.  It was an interesting process.
My blog isn't visited much, so I rarely post, but I do post on the forum -- usually in my inimitable and aggravating fashion. At least they aren't DorothyL., so I haven't been attacked yet.  Dorothy L. is a fan site. There you can post and flatter fans.  That might bring some sales.
Maybe, but my earlier visits to Dorothy L. suggested that there was altogether too much going on there for a slowly degenerating mind like mine to handle.  But thanks for the suggestion.  Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.

clayiseditor

• Hack
    • E.C. Morgan
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 09:09:54 PM »

Ingrid,

Yes, it was on Crimespace. Not worth going into now. But consequently I don't spend much time there anymore.

Of course, lately, I don't spend much time on any online forum...things are kind of busy in my part of the world.

:-D

Clay

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 09:35:12 AM »

Byron, I found your picture.  Very handsome and dashing!

Clay, I'm so sorry.  It's a motley crew there.  Many people have nothing whatsoever to do with mysteries and some are downright peculiar.  However, I guess I've been warned.

Mind you, if this was a single individual, you can disregard it.  I have suffered a combined bombardment on Dorothy L.  and will never go back there.

Ingrid

Daniel Hatadi

• Ink Slinger
  • Daniel Hatadi is a crime writer based in Sydney.
    • Daniel Hatadi
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 02:07:29 AM »

I have a myspace page, but don't use it much.

I also have a Crimespace page — again, don't spend much time there, but I made that decision after I was subjected to a particularly harsh attack. I have better things to do with my time.

Clay

Damn, I missed that particular post, or at least that particular reply. I wish I'd have known--I would have removed the member or at least given them a stern slap with a wet fish or two. But I understand what you say about time on the internet. I never seem to have much time to pop around here anymore, but I do check in every so often.

Nothing beats MWF.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 10:11:20 AM »

See what a good guy Daniel is?  He really works at Crimespace and it's amazingly successful and mostly congenial.

Ingrid

clayiseditor

• Hack
    • E.C. Morgan
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 09:18:33 PM »

I like Daniel very much. Like most people here, he, and you Ingrid, have been extraordinarily kind to this not-so-good mystery writer.

I was probably overly sensitive that day, anyway. No biggie. Saw they are having a short story contest. That just may revive my attention over there....

Clay, who should be laying out news pages right now.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 09:34:26 AM »

Never, never, never say or think again that you a "not-so-good" writer!  It absolutely stifles creativity and is totally untrue.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal