Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gone but not forgotten ...  (Read 2497 times)

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
Gone but not forgotten ...
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:13:19 AM »

Geez, I go away for a year or so and look what happens. 

Hey guys!  (and gals!)

Just an update for those who know me.  I finally retired from Ma Bell and am officially a full time writer.  (Not bad for a guy who just reached fifty-one ... and doesn't have to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to.) 

I do some work proofing novels and magazines - if you're familiar with the new Doc Savage Magazine that Nostoligia Press puts out, you may have seen my on the front cover under proofreader.  (And maybe not - it's not a full time gig, just so you know, but I get more and more as time goes by.)  The wonderful irony of that is that I finally get paid for reading DS - something I've been doing for free since I was 13.

In addition to my mystery novels and dark thriller novels (supernatural cops and robbers), I have also written a comedic play about Valentines day - love from the male point of view - I call it CUPID SUCKS.  It will be produced next year locally and then, hopefully, elsewhere. 

I am also trying to break into the movie industry (a really tough cookie since I don't plan on moving there).  To date I've written three scripts for popular TV shows (none of which have sold, however, two of which reached the appropriate people).  I am also working on a TV Pilot - slash - mini-series, entitled HARBINGER.  Can't give away the plot until it's finished and protected, but I think it's different enough to attract attention.  I also think it's different enough to keep it from being bought, but we'll see which is the more powerful pull, the content or the context.  (Mysterious, no?)

I recently celebrated my 33rd wedding anniversary ... I have five grown children and ten-plus grandchildren ... and I'm currently working out an intenery of states to visit this summer on what I call the Grandma Tour - I'm taking my Mom to see all her family members.  So far I have Virginia, Indiana, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Any questions?

Ahhhh, it's good to be back.

Matthew Schoonover

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: Gone but not forgotten ...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:52:16 AM »

Hi, Matt

Good to see you back.

So, where are you headed in PA?

Dave

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »

Welcome back, Matthew,

Your life sounds full enought without having to deal with Ma Bell. Congratulations on an early retirement and 33 years of marriage and good luck with the scripts. Maybe as some of our older (and I don't mean age) members start coming back, this place will get lively again.

Lynette

Kat

• Hack
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »

We haven't met on the boards. I'm new here but welcome back and congratulations on your retirement.  ;D

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 05:16:47 PM »

Hey Matthew,

It's great to hear from you, and with such a long list of wonderful news. Sigh, Doc Savage - I remember when I found him - I was superamalgamated for months.

Sorry WI isn't on your itinerary.  Hope you can poke your head in here every now and again.

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:25:53 PM »

Hey, good to hear from you again!
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »

Congratulations on all the good stuff in your life, Matthew, and welcome back!  Hope you can visit the forum more often now.  We've missed you.  (If anybody's stuck on finding a title for his or her WIP, Matthew used to come up with great ideas.)

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 07:22:05 PM »

Boy, it's nice to hear from you guys again!  Thanks, Dave, Lynette, Elena, Bob and dh - and greetings to Kat. 

I'll try to check in here on a daily basis, and look forward to putting in my two cents now and again. 

Bob - read your post on Byron.  Married and with child!  Amazing!  Did he ever finish Lunchbox Hero?  He let me read what he had and I enjoyed it.  Always told him to finish it. 

And dh - don't forget that Scott used to put out as many ideas (and titles!) as I ever did.  Come to think of it, I believe a single one of my titles was actually used (by anyone but me, that is). 

*sigh*  Man, it's good to be back. 

Matthew S.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 05:38:24 PM »

That was Bryon, wasn't it?  Byron has been married since 1957 and has three kids.
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 11:47:50 PM »

That was Bryon, wasn't it?  Byron has been married since 1957 and has three kids.

I claim dyslexia.    Yes, I meant Bryon.

You heard the one about the agnostic dyslexic insomniac?  He stayed up all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Matthew S.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »

...if there really was a dog.

Should either the d or the g in dog be capitalized?  All agnostics (not just the dyslexic insomniac ones) are eager to know.
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 11:31:02 AM »

I once had an editor send a note back and ask if I was dyslexic because I had tswirched a couple of letters. I gave him a one word reply. "Yes." He bought the article. (I really am dyslexic, but I've never worndered about a dog.)

Lynette

capanarius medievalist

• Cub
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »

We've not yet met. I'm a neophyte to this neighbourhood; however, I wish you all the best and congratulations. Wonder if you might also consider UK options for your scripts? Sam
socius criminis (a partner in crime)

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »

...if there really was a dog.

Should either the d or the g in dog be capitalized?  All agnostics (not just the dyslexic insomniac ones) are eager to know.

Can't swear to the d or g but I believe the o can be capitalized.

Matthew S.

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 09:02:19 PM »

We've not yet met. I'm a neophyte to this neighbourhood; however, I wish you all the best and congratulations. Wonder if you might also consider UK options for your scripts? Sam

Hey Cap, glad to see you here.

The answer to your question is yes, I've always wondered about UK options. 

I'm open to any and all legitimate offers.  Honestly, I thought this might go over well in Germany but never really thought about the UK.  Maybe even Spain.  The only place I've definitely marked off my list of possibles is France.  Don't ask me why.

Matthew S.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal