Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 118
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a title  (Read 6209 times)

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
I need a title
« on: October 18, 2006, 08:23:34 PM »

Believe it or not, I - me - moi - need a title for a script I'm working on.  Most of you guys know I like to have a title before starting a work.  This time I have the plot for a movie script but no title.

Here's the plot:

For those who are familiar with DC CAB, it's the same thing except with telephone company cable splicers.

For those who don't know DC CAB, it's about a bunch of misfit cable splicers who have to deal with a new supervisor, an old supervisor who's a nice guy but overwhelmed by the coprorate productivity levels, and a new female splicer among all these rough and rawhide guys.  Think SUPER TROOPERS without the chase scene.  No, that's not right, because in my plot there is a chase scene - and a heist and rescue. 

Here's a couple of examples:  The new corporate manager is telling the old manager about the new productivity levels and the old manager points out that it looks good on paper but is actually less effecient.  While he's talking, the new guy says, "Let's get something straight.  This is the phone company.  We are not in the communication business, so stop wasting my time and do what you're told."  (Later the new guy forces the old guy to take early retirement and later still the old guy gets a job working for OSHA.)  In another scene, the new guy is hitting on the female because his wife is out of town.  The female and a fellow splicer have hooked on to his while he's talking with his significant other in another city.  He assures his SO that he's alone.  The female begins moaning on the illegal hookup and the SO thinks (naturally) that the female is in the room. 

It is primarily a comedy but the basic plot revolves around a splicer who accidentally thwarts a the kidnap of a mob boss's father which leads to the mob guy stealing a few telephone company trucks to break a partner out of jail and then the splicers use their talents to help recapture the escapee.

Okay boys and girls, now you can see why I'm stumped on a title.  Any and all suggestions welcome.  The winner, if he or she wants, will get their name used in the script. 

Matthew S.

Jonathon

• Wordsmith
Re: I need a title
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 08:44:50 PM »

I usually start with a title, also, but sometimes I just have to use a working title until something jumps out at me, usually from the narrative or dialogue, that hits the nail on the head.

So, start with something, anything as a title and just write until one hits you on the head. :)

Or ...  how about:  "The Splice of Life"?

Jon

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:51:40 PM »

OK.  Here's an idea or two, after a glass or two of chardonnay.  Maybe I'll do better tomorrow.

Faulty Connections
Party Line  (for anyone who remembers that far back!)
The Company Line

Susan

Zara

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 09:57:43 PM »

How about 'Splicers' ???
Zara

Daniel Hatadi

• Ink Slinger
  • Daniel Hatadi is a crime writer based in Sydney.
    • Daniel Hatadi
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 11:42:29 PM »

I love coming up with titles, and there's far less pressure if it's for someone else. :)

Here's a few:

CUTTING LINES (drug dealers on the side?)
INCOMMUNICADO (cut out all the dialog)
COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN (it's always good to steal a Led Zeppelin song)

Good luck!

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 01:49:46 PM »

Disconnected

Sounds like something I'd like.

Ingrid

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 01:59:09 PM »

Dial Tones
Playing With Phones
Tap and Trace
Eavesdroppers
Trouble on the Line
Phone Tappers
Dial 'O' for Trouble (with apologies to Dial 'M' for Murder)

Paul Kuczynski

• Cub
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 06:10:54 PM »

Yikes.. I remember party lines... as a kid they were fun to listen in on.... hmmmm... hey that could lead to a nice murder/suspense story.... -WHAT DID YOU HEAR ON THAT PARTY LINE

Paul... (who did  a re-wind back to the late 1950s)

OK.  Here's an idea or two, after a glass or two of chardonnay.  Maybe I'll do better tomorrow.

Faulty Connections
Party Line  (for anyone who remembers that far back!)
The Company Line

Susan

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 10:39:12 PM »

As a working title they all sound useable.  I like Splicers and Disconnected so far.  Keep them coming.  

After writing this I thought of HANGING UP as a title but even that doesn't quite ring true.  And FOR WHOM THE PHONE RINGS falls flat.  

More!  I need more!

Matthew S.

Daniel Hatadi

• Ink Slinger
  • Daniel Hatadi is a crime writer based in Sydney.
    • Daniel Hatadi
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 11:42:02 PM »

My vote goes for DISCONNECTED. Much catchier than something like IMPACT PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT TRAINING, which is what I'll be doing on Monday.

Kate Maguire

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 10:53:31 AM »

I like Disconnected as well, Matthew. I also like your premise; I've long wanted to see something done around the telco. I don't remember any inside slang--at least nothing pertinent--but it would be cool if you used something that could be understood by everyone but had an insider ring to it. You could talk with some of your repair people, maybe dispatch, to find out what the terminology is for a dropped call.

Keep up the good work.

Kate

ArlineChase

• Wordsmith
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 05:49:28 PM »

I like Disconnected, too.

Other options?

HANG UP, OR HANG ON

SPLICE 'EM OR DICE 'EM

ON THE LINE

WIRED

TAPPED OUT

Michele Viney

• Hack
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 06:07:03 AM »

Matthew

Like your premise and I like the titles that the others have suggested, many of them are ones I came up with myself.

I work in the film and television industry in Ireland (in the very unglamourous part of production) and I'm sure you are aware that the title that a scriptwriter gives a script is often called 'the working title' since the title can change - usually because the distributor (where the money to make the movie comes from - and money speaks) wants it changed. A typical example of this happened a writer/director friend of mine he wrote and directed a low budget feature with the working title of THE SMILING SUICIDE CLUB. the American distributor thought the title was too depressing and made John change it to the more innocuous ON THE EDGE.

My advice is two-fold. First choose a title that you like but do not necessarily love - because it might be changed, and secondly choose one that you think the viewing public and therefore the distributor might like as well.

Best of luck with your script. Is there a producer attached yet? If you want advice please feel free to ask and I will try and answer any questions you might have.

Cheers
Michele
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 08:56:46 PM »

My advice is two-fold. First choose a title that you like but do not necessarily love - because it might be changed, and secondly choose one that you think the viewing public and therefore the distributor might like as well.

Best of luck with your script. Is there a producer attached yet? If you want advice please feel free to ask and I will try and answer any questions you might have.

Michele,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I do know about working titles, and I have no problem with anyone changing a title of mine provided they pay me first. 

I do not have a producer yet and probably won't for a while.  I've written a DEAD ZONE script and am working on a MONK script, but other than that I have very limited exposture in H-wood. 

However, that is about to change.  I hope.

I'm working on getting an agent (William Morris if I have my way) within the next year.  Keep your fingers crossed.

And thanks for the invitation.  If I need help or advise on this thing rest assured that I will definitely post here.  These people are my bothers and sisters (and no, that's not a misspelling).

And for everyone else, thanks one and all for the suggestions.  I'm going to go with DISCONNECTED (the misadventures of cable splicers) as a working title. 

Matthew S.

Jane B.

• Wordsmith
  • MWF Old-Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 03:12:14 PM »

I like DISCONNECTED, too, but here are a few more to chew on. Maybe one of them will be a spark:

LISTENING IN
DROPPED CALL
DROP THAT CALL!
DROP IT!
UNWIRED
UNPLUGGED
CROSSWIRE
CROSSED WIRES
GOT CONNECTIONS?
UNCONNECTED
MISCONNECTED
WIRED FOR SOUND
WIRED FOR ______ (something relevant—crime, etc.)
THE GODDAMN PHONE COMPANY
THE PHONE GUYS
THE F#*$&ING PHONE GUYS
HOOK ME UP
HOOKED UP
UNHOOKED
CONNECTED TO THE MOB (pun)

Jane B.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal