Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 192
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jane Tennison  (Read 5434 times)

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
Re: Jane Tennison
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 03:04:25 PM »

Finally carved out some time to watch it last night.

I think it's the best Prime Suspect since the first, and since they've all been excellent, that's really saying something.

That said, I have to make one bit of criticism. 

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

I didn't like the solution.  It seemed obvious to me, fairly early on, and I kept on hoping I was wrong because I didn't really want that particular suspect to turn out to have been the murderer.

Still, no other solution would have been as emotionally wrenching to Jane, and I suppose it was important for the solution to be emotionally wrenching.

END SPOILER ALERT END SPOILER ALERT END SPOILER ALERT END SPOILER ALERT

I'm sorry the series is now over.  I'd hat to see her turn PI.  I don't think it worked for Harry Bosch, and I don't think it would work for Jane Tennison.  Maybe she could be persuaded to come out retirement and take over the CID for some provincial force.

Which reminds me, was it ever made clear how Jane, having transferred to the Manchester Police after her promotion to Superintendent in earlier episodes, made it back to the Met?

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 10:26:10 AM »

Can't answer that question, Jim, but I'll say that I prefer the police procedural to the P.I. novel. I find it more believable on ther whole. Most P.I.'s tend to work adultery and divorce stuff, I suspect. An actress of the caliber of Mirren will probably not return in this series.

As for the solution: You know, I saw it and had already forgotten.  Had to do some hard thinking about it.  It illustrated once again that I care more for the human factor than the plot twist. On second thought, yes, I wasn't really happy with the solution, though it made sense.

What was good was the walking away into the dark city without any fanfare or human contact.

Ingrid

krisneri

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 09:19:29 PM »

I watched it, and I also thought the mystery was rather weak. But I still think nobody beats the Brits when it comes to character-driven mysteries. They're also not afraid to show deeply flawed but really fascinating characters like this. I'm sorry to see Jane go. I did like the very characteristic ending.

Somebody told me they're going to make new episodes of Cracker, another British favorite of mine. True?

Kris

Michele Viney

• Hack
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 07:17:24 AM »

I watched it, and I also thought the mystery was rather weak. But I still think nobody beats the Brits when it comes to character-driven mysteries. They're also not afraid to show deeply flawed but really fascinating characters like this. I'm sorry to see Jane go. I did like the very characteristic ending.

Somebody told me they're going to make new episodes of Cracker, another British favorite of mine. True?

Kris

Kris,

Yes they have made new episodes of Cracker, I didn't see them, but the first episode got mauled by the critics.

Michele
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 01:28:08 PM »

Hmm, sorry to say I don't like CRACKER. There is an American version, isn't there?

Ingrid

krisneri

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 10:37:57 PM »

Kris,

Yes they have made new episodes of Cracker, I didn't see them, but the first episode got mauled by the critics.

Michele

Aw, rats. I really like that character.

kris
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal