Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Dropped By To Grouse A Little  (Read 3562 times)

jnichols

• Cub
Just Dropped By To Grouse A Little
« on: May 26, 2007, 04:52:27 PM »

It's been so long since I logged on that I had to figure out all over again how to post.

I've taken a very boring temp job doing data entry.  It's the sort of job that eats your brain after eight hours.  Still it's nice to be making money, after my disastrous foray into Real Estate last year. But I forgot how much time a day job takes out of your day. Not that I ever got much accomplished when I wasn't working, but I always had the illusion of  plenty of time to do it.

My book Tree Huggers, which has been on hold for two and a half years (I remember I submitted it to the publisher Oct. 30, 2004), is now in the edit process and my editor is not all that happy with it. She says it needs lots of work. I look at all the different colors of type fonts on the file and I feel overwhelmed by it all. I'm only up to the second chapter of re-writing. It doesn't help that I'm trying to do it after working all day.

Anyway, if those of you who've known me all this time could remind me that this is worth doing, maybe throw in some words of encouragement, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to give up, but I'm worried that I might.

You'd think I'd have developed a thicker skin after all these years. I take things too personally. When our new border collie Bailey finished last in obedience class (my fault, I was nervous during the final exam) I was depressed for two days.

Anyway, I feel better now, just bringing it to MWF.

Judy Nichols

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
Re: Just Dropped By To Grouse A Little
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 05:45:54 PM »

Hang in there Judy. You can do it and IT IS worth it. Deep down, you know it is. Just think how proud you'll be when you hold Tree Huggers in your hand. You're a good writer and your work needs to be read. Never, Never give up!!

Are you working with Cape Fear Crime Festival this year? That should put you in the mood too. I look forward to it every year and it wouldn't be the same without you at that registration table and on the panels.

Over 2 years? That is a long time but I think from the time I  contacted Silver Dagger, waited for their response and signed the contract it was close to 4 years before I saw the book in print. I guess small publishers work that way.  Is your publisher always that slow or was it a fluke? (I have a personal reason for asking.)

Hope to see you in October.

Lynette

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 06:11:10 PM »

Hi Judy,
Go for it - I know it's not easy working temp and trying to write, but the other side of it is worth the effort.  Your own book to flash at people and leave around the house to be admired - it's so much fun  :D

And a thumbs down to an obedience class that has to pass judgement - if they did their job then all the dogs would be tops which in the eyes of their owners they already are.  That is not the purpose of obedience classes!!!!!   :-\

Years ago I took my Golden puppy to obedience class and I can assure you there was serious competition amoung us to wind up at the bottom of the class.  I was so bad at following directions that even my puppy was embarassed to be with me.  Then there was the sweet round huge white furry guy who bored with the lecture a substitute teacher was giving us, fell asleep on the mat.  His sweet also round owners couldn't wake him up because they kept whispering at him because he was sleeping.  It took five men to carry him off the mat - he never woke up.  It was quite a class.

And, don't forget the virtual champaign party we'll throw you when the book is done!!!   ::)

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Velda

• Cub
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 06:48:43 PM »

Hi Judy,

I know this is the less glamourous part of the process, but when it's done, I'm sure you'll be thrilled and proud of the result.

Your mention of Doggie School brought back uncomfortable memories  ;D I have a Scottie (need I say more) who insisted on baring her teeth at the Great Dane in the class. The instructor was not impressed!

I have my pink champagne ready and waiting for the right moment!

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 11:07:32 PM »

Hi Judy,

Hang in there it will be well worth it.  The champagne is on ice for you.

As for memories of obedience let's just say my old male Bull Terrier was known as the class clown during the time we went though the classes and for many years after we'd finished.

The first time I put him on a down, turned and walked away, the whole class broke up.  I didn't know why until I turned around to face him and HE WAS RIGHT BEHIND ME--HE'D CRAWLED ON HIS BELLY THE WHOLE DISTANCE. (Hey, mom I stayed down!) 

No one wanted their dog next to him for the sits and downs because you could see him whispering to  the dogs on either side of him, "hey, if you get up, I'll get up!"  They would, he wouldn't, and I swear he'd laugh at them for breaking.   Then there was the time... ;D 

Don't worry, I'm sure you will be a great success!

Peg H
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

jnichols

• Cub
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 07:12:12 PM »

Thank you all, I feel so much better now.  I know it's worth it, just needed some encouragement.

Today Bailey stayed for three minutes in down (I timed it) without so much as a leg twitch.  My husband built an agility course for him and he's amazing. You should see him jump, five feet in the air and he doesn't even need a running start.  I really want to put him in agility training and maybe even do the competitions.   Of course, I hated just doing that obedience final exam with a stranger judging us, I'm sure I'd be a nervous wreck at a competition.

Judy

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 04:19:46 AM »

At least, Judy, when you're doing the tedious rewriting, you know it's for a goal: a flesh and blood editor wants these changes. It sure beats rewriting and rewriting  for your inner critic, not knowing if anyone would read it!

Good luck with it,

Penny

jnichols

• Cub
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 06:58:26 AM »

Tuesday night I went over the first few chapters on the phone with my sister, and that helped a lot. Made it almost fun. I am working on it every night, and it is very slow going. I find myself staring blankly at the screen, as well as writing and deleting different versions of the same sentence over and over. It's much harder coming up with descriptions and actions on demand than it is to let your imagination run.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Judy

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:10:11 AM »

I find myself staring blankly at the screen, as well as writing and deleting different versions of the same sentence over and over.

Judy, I'm in the throes of rewriting too and know exactly what you're talking about. Well, not exactly, since I have no publisher or deadline -- but enough to send sympathy and encouragement your way. Hang in there!

And doesn't it feel great when you solve a problem and realize your story just got better?

Kathy W.

Charmaine

• Expositor
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 10:49:31 PM »

I've had jobs like that. Too boring to enjoy, but requiring lots of attention. In the history of the world I'm sure most artists of any genre have had to endure this at some point in their lives. First thing I'd suggest is something to break up the routine and the stress, even if just for a short time. Visit the zoo. Get a massage. Set aside an evening to listen to some new music or favorite old music with a glass of wine.

Then take a look at everything you need to do on the book -- can you break it down into smaller steps and then do only one or two every day until it's done?
"I refuse to have a duel of wits with an unarmed person."

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 09:37:21 AM »

See? That's just the type of great Charmaine advice we've been missing here!

Penny

jnichols

• Cub
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »

As I tackle the task of editing, I remember the joke "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time."

Tonight I'll be reading through the whole manuscript and making notes, so I can get a better idea of the direction my editor wants to take.  I've been trying to make the changes chapter by chapter and I'm running into some trouble that way.

I just need to keep at it.

Judy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal