Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 90
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ken Bruen's THE DRAMATIST  (Read 5481 times)

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
Ken Bruen's THE DRAMATIST
« on: October 17, 2006, 01:58:21 PM »

This is a wonderful book -- lean, rich, and powerful.  To my mind, it achieves all that crime fiction can and should achieve.  It is one of the Jack Taylor novels (the others were also great), but incredibly controlled in style so that it isn't very long but packs an enormous punch.  It is a character-driven novel.  In fact, while it would probably be defined as P.I., such distinctions don't seem to apply.  It is primarily a very human novel which is also coincidently about serial crime and a page turner.

Ingrid 

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
Re: Ken Bruen's THE DRAMATIST
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 04:15:55 PM »

I'm reading Killing the Tinkers right now...first time reading K Bruen.  I'm having some trouble with the dialogue which I find confusing, but hope that if I stick with it, I'll 'get it' soon.

Susan

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 05:20:19 PM »

He has an odd habit of separating speaker and speech by starting a new line.  He also centers thematic nouns, usually three, like poems in the text in the earlier Taylor novels.  This takes some getting used to.  I believe he is experimenting with the novel form.  Not sure what is being gained by the dialogue thing, but the thematic nouns are relevant to the meaning.

Other than that, this is a book about the Irish.  They talk like that. I like that part very much because it gives you insight into a mindset that is different and, in its own way, fine and admirable.

Ingrid

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 06:37:33 PM »

Nothing to do with Bruen's writing, but I had the opportunity to talk to him at Bouchercon.  He mentioned that he lost his older daughter earlier this year in a car accident.

I think he'd appreciate any good thoughts and prayers that might be sent his way.

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 07:03:34 PM »

I think I had heard that here or on DL, about his daughter.  There is no greater tragedy than surviving a child, IMHO.  I'm trying to 'learn' Irish-speak, though I wish the book was more helpful to the uninitiated!  I am sure if I used 'pharma-speak' in my WIP without translating, it would not be tolerated. But then, the Irish are undoubtedly more revered than the pharmaceutical industry.  Alas, I am doomed to be amongst those ranked with tobacco growers and HMOs.  Perhaps I can create some good will with my writing, though I'm sure the issue is much bigger than me. :(

Susan

Daniel Hatadi

• Ink Slinger
  • Daniel Hatadi is a crime writer based in Sydney.
    • Daniel Hatadi
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 07:45:46 PM »

I've read a few of Bruen's novels and plan to read more. Haven't caught up to THE DRAMATIST, but THE KILLING OF THE TINKERS is excellent. Brutal ending. With THE GUARDS I found myself getting annoyed at Bruen's writing idiosyncrasies, but I think he's finally programmed me to understand them. One thing I never had trouble with was the language. Maybe because I'm Aussie or maybe there's just a lot of Irish pubs around here, not sure.

Can't wait to read THE DRAMATIST, but I have a mountain of books to climb before I get there.

Caro

• Wordsmith
    • Caro's Place
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 10:34:59 PM »

I was absolutely stunned by the first Bruen book I read! I've read a few more and bought some at B'Con, too.  Haven't made it to The Dramatist, yet, but looking forward to it.

I enjoyed him so much I've invited him to be the International Guest of Honour at Bloody Words when it gets back to Toronto in 2008!

Caro
Drag Queen in the Court of Death
http://www.carosoles.com

Poisonguy

• Hack
  • Psst, you, you need some poison, eh?
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 05:20:55 AM »

I loved what Bruen did with Tinkers, eventhough it was a little thin on Story for my usual taste. However, good writing is good writing. I've kept the goode ole chap on my "To read" list.

What the heck is a thematic noun? How about an example, Ingrid? Educate the poor Canadian cretin.
All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison from a remedy. -Paracelsus

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 01:34:21 PM »

Nothing to do with Bruen's writing, but I had the opportunity to talk to him at Bouchercon.  He mentioned that he lost his older daughter earlier this year in a car accident.

I think he'd appreciate any good thoughts and prayers that might be sent his way.

Oh, Jim, that's a lovely idea, but I'm entirely to timid to write to him.  He'll remember you (I only met him for a moment in Chicago).  Why don't you drop him a note and tell him that other fans from MWF send their best to him and his family?

Ingrid

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 01:39:06 PM »

Poisonguy writes:  "What the heck is a thematic noun? How about an example, Ingrid? Educate the poor Canadian cretin."   You're way too hard on yourself.  :)

This is my fault.  I made up the term in lieu of a better idea how to describe it.

Okay.  From THE DRAMATIST:

In my years on the force, I encountered every type of

Trickster
                           Con man
                           Villain
                           Rogue.

And the years after I met the

Sad
                            Lonely
                            Depressed
                            Dispirited.

Ingrid
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 01:42:09 PM by Ingrid »

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 02:11:40 PM »

Ingrid,

Re your nice comments below:

"Oh, Jim, that's a lovely idea, but I'm entirely to timid to write to him.  He'll remember you (I only met him for a moment in Chicago).  Why don't you drop him a note and tell him that other fans from MWF send their best to him and his family?"

I meant private prayers and good thoughts.  I believe prayer works even if the person prayed for doesn't know about it.

I've already sent him a Mass card. 

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 05:22:29 PM »

Ah!  Hmm!  I thought I fixed that typo ("to" into "too").  This site is still a bit strange to me.  Take it as corrected.

Ingrid

Poisonguy

• Hack
  • Psst, you, you need some poison, eh?
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 05:53:12 AM »

Thanks, Ingrid. I think I get it.  :-\ I hope it's not formatted in this way, though!
All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison from a remedy. -Paracelsus

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 01:41:37 PM »

It is indeed formatted that way.  I had some trouble replicating it.  :)

The guy has no respect for the conventions.  Or rules.  Nice, that!

Ingrid

Angie

• Hack
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 12:28:03 AM »

I adore Ken Bruen's writing.  His books are the first I've come across in ages that are actually on the experimental edge without losing sight of character and story.  Bruen is, by far, my favorite contemporary writer.  I haven't gotten to The Dramatist yet, but it's on my top 5 TBR list.

Angie J-S 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal