Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 220
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More than I can chew  (Read 3472 times)

clayiseditor

• Hack
    • E.C. Morgan
More than I can chew
« on: October 24, 2006, 07:33:16 PM »

Ok, by virtue of the newspaper, I'm a member of the local Rotary Club, and we hae decided to take literacy as a service project.

Due to the fact that Rotary meets over lunch, and I tend to stuff food in my face, I'm now in charge -- that's what I get for listening to mom who told me never to talk with food in my mouth.

Anyway, they decided to do a book fair. Sigh. They want a couple of authors. Sigh. Kids. Adults. Benefit the library. Maybe I should retire.

Anyway, has anyone any experience with local book fairs, and what makes them successful?

Advice is mucho appreciated.

Clay

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: More than I can chew
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 10:58:48 AM »

I love bookfairs!  :)

In Israel there is an annual book fair - each large city and small town has its own one during one week, usually in June.

We usually take our kids to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem to see the "real" thing, but in our own community has a small fair one afternoon and kids love it.

It's an experience to browse through huge numbers of books, for one. Each publisher has its own booth. There are writers around, and they announce, "so and so is now signing his new book at booth number whatever..."

During the fair, all books are sold on discount.

Other ideas: Different magazines hand out complimentary copies and find new subscribers. There are rest areas, literary related exhibitions and even food booths.

Good luck with yours, Clay. I'm sure if you contact publishers they'd be happy to open a booth and sell their books.

Penny

Kate Maguire

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: More than I can chew
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 06:00:09 PM »

Funny, Clay, the Texas Book Festival is in Austin this weekend. Here's the link if you're interested: http://texasbookfestival.org/authors/ You might get some ideas from their set-up.

You're on the coast now, aren't you? Or did I misremember? At any rate, I think a book fair sounds great. Perhaps you can contact a writers group in your area for names of local pubbed authors. Ask at the public library; they usually know about writers groups. (They also probably know the pubbed authors.)

Penny's idea sounds good too. Could you get some local artists groups involved, maybe make it bigger as a book/art/craft fair? Our little town has a craft fair twice yearly--no books involved. It's not very large, but it's a neat place to buy handcrafted gifts. Autographed books would fall in line as wekk with the holidays coming up.

Good luck.

Kate
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 06:03:32 PM by Kate Maguire »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal