Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 102
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My ongoing dentistry struggle...  (Read 11590 times)

Joyce S

• Expositor
Re: My ongoing dentistry struggle...
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 07:20:12 PM »

I've heard advertisements about sedation dentistry. It talks how you wouldn't have your appendix out with being sedated. Also about doing the entire mouth in 1 or 2 sessions rather than weeks and months of work. I'm luck that my dentist was super, so never had to look further and have no idea what they actually do to 'sedate' you.

My daughter, on the other hand, has an anxiety attack each time the dentist looks in her mouth (even just the check after a cleaning). She had to have the same hygenist for each cleaning. And a valium tablet before any actual work. You are definitely not alone.

But I say again, the doctor and staff should have reacted more quickly and firmly to your symptoms.

If I were you, I'd definitely be looking for someone else to complete the work.

Joyce

Jennifer P

• Hack
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 12:13:09 PM »

Charmaine, that sucks.  That dentist sounds like a total jerk.  I had a panic attack last year at the dentist, and as soon as they saw I was having trouble, they stopped what they were doing, raised me into an upright position, and gave me oxygen until I felt better.  And when they resumed, they were very careful to keep asking me if I was okay.  Which is exactly what your dentist should have done for you.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for how to find a better dentist (and you do need to find one -- avoiding it will lead to big problems and even worse visits in the future). But I do have two suggestions for when you go to the new person.  First, ask your hypnotherapist to make you a tape to play during the visit, and bring your own portable tape player to play it.  Second, as soon as you get in the chair, before anyone picks up an instrument, explain what happened at the last visit and arrange a signal (hand gesture) for if you're having any trouble.  Make sure they understand that if you make that signal, they need to stop what they are doing and ask you what you need -- sitting up, more nitrous, more oxygen, etc.  In addition to making sure they are responsive to your needs, this may also help you feel less powerless and more relaxed, because you will know that if there is a problem, there's a plan in place to deal with it.  If they give you flak about either of these things, then get up and leave.  You have the right to do that.  You would probably still have to pay for the visit, but you don't have to let someone uncaring work on your mouth.  That's just a recipe for more anxiety.

Good luck!

Jennifer

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 01:52:01 PM »

Four shots for one part of the mouth?  I never heard of that. Something isn't right there. I've had two shots, one for the right side and one for the left, but never more than one for one side of the jaw.

Ingrid

Joyce S

• Expositor
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 06:06:19 PM »

Four shots for one part of the mouth?  I never heard of that. Something isn't right there. I've had two shots, one for the right side and one for the left, but never more than one for one side of the jaw.

Ingrid

I have an extremely sensitive mouth. I've needed 2 or 3 injections for a single tooth before finally the pain would not happen -- I always feel the vibration of the drill. My dentist was very good about the whole thing. I even remember in one particularly long session having to have an injection part of the way through.

Joyce S

Alice

• Cub
    • Alice McCrory, Realtor
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 06:42:28 PM »

I have a great fear of dentists, but found a lovely lady who is truly kind and gentle and sings the whole time she's running drills, pulling teeth, whatever.

She also prescribes drugs.  I take one pill of .25mg of triazolam 1 hour before the appointment, per her instructions.  Then if I am too aware of my surroundings, she has me take another at the dentist office and just sit for a little while.  Then she puts the gel stuff on and gives me Novocaine and I have to say that even if I feel the shot, I don't much care. ::)

Oh, and I go home and sleep the rest of the day away.  By the time I am aware again, the worst of the pain has subsided.  It goes without saying that my husband has to go with me for all my appointments.

Don't know what the warnings are on this drug, and I don't have any side effects.  She prescribes just enough for the treatment I am going through.

I'll bet there are a number of other possible drugs one could use.

Hope this helps.

Alice

It goes without saying that my husband has to go with me for all my appointments.
Alice

Charmaine

• Expositor
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 01:54:02 AM »

Well, I took a friend' s advice and contacted her dentist -- he uses a laser, and she says she's had teeth removed by him with no bleeding and no pain. He also does not use nitrous -- but it's supposedly not necessary because a good topical is all that's needed. The laser is administered in pulses, in a very focused way.

The agreement is that I am "trying" this to see if it's doable for me. I actually feel pretty optimistic. My appointment is for tomorrow (Thursday) mornig.

Ya'll keep your fingers crossed and candles burning, please.
"I refuse to have a duel of wits with an unarmed person."

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 10:33:50 AM »

Charmaine, My appointment is this morning, too--getting a crown on one side, and hopefully fillings on the other.

And yes, I'm anxious, though I do know this guy hasn't caused me the pain that so many others have. There is some pain, but it's minimal.

Best wishes with yours, and I'm asking for good thoughts and prayers, too.
Ella

Kathleen Taylor

• Wordsmith
  • Kathi
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 11:14:25 AM »

Charmaine, I hope the new dentist is more understanding and helpful.

Is it possible to have this work done under sedation, even though that's not the usual method? Is there any medical reason for you to be awake during the procedure?  If not, then maybe you can find a dentist who will do the work with you knocked out, even though it's not the norm.

Kathi

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 02:13:19 PM »

Good luck, Charmaine!  A recommendation from a friend is the best way to find good services of all kinds.  Your friends know your needs best and if they have 'checked out' the dentist personally, you have reason to be optimistic.

Susan

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 02:30:11 PM »

Great!  Waiting to hear!

Ingrid

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 05:40:20 PM »

I'm home! Got 4-5 shots on one side, one on the other.
Only the last one of the set of 4-5 hurt a bit for a few seconds. As I let him know, the dentist said, "All tissue is not created equal."

Got one filling and the other was a prep for a crown.
I hope your time was as pleasant as mine, as if going to the dentist could ever be pleasant...
Ella

Charmaine

• Expositor
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 06:47:27 PM »

Hallulujah! Had my laser treatment today and YOWZA! that is THE way to go if you have problems with needles and nitrous oxide!!!

Spent quite awhile talking to this dentist about my experiences and what I've been doing for myself (vitamin supplements, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, sesame seed oil rinsing, twice-a-day flossing, the WaterPik and the hypnotherapy) to prepare for periodontal treatment. He took a lot of time making sure I was comfortable (he gave me a neck pillow! geez, and the chair even fit my short body!)

After he explained about the laser (which I already basically knew about from extensive reading), he commenced with a topical gel that worked  VERY well (he said if left on long enough it would make my teeth numb). He uses a microscope for fine-point application, and the laser sounds like a teeny, tiny machine gun -- rattattatatatat! with an accompanying beeping noise.

I felt absolutely nothing from the laser -- smelled something mildly toasty (the calcified deposits being burned off like barnacles). He used one of those scraper-things a few times and the suction thing often. Two or three times I felt a momentary pain but oh-so-bearable compared to past tortures! And he always apologized! I noticed he always spoke to his young assistant as "Miss Stephanie"and said "Please," when he wanted something from her -- another striking difference from observing other dentists.

He told me while he was working about going to dental school in Oregon and then spending a few years practicing in Kathmandu. Yes, Nepal. Spent about 13 years in Southeast Asia before moving back to the States. Did all the usual conventional dental treatments, including the drastic oral surgery that would have been my lot if my guns didn't heal up after periodontal treatment. Became convinced that it wasn't that great as a procedure and turned to the new technology of lasers.

He said lasers did a lot less "collateral damage" compared to the less-focused scraping and cutting. I thought it could be compared to a surgical strike on a single small object as opposed to dropping Napalm on an entire village. No bleeding. No swelling.

We talked afterwards, and he said he had gotten about 70 percent of the problem (and it shows!) and I would need to come back a couple more times but that was really it! I was on the verge of tears of relief and shook his hand and paid up gladly -- I don't have dental insurance, I have a modest dental discount plan which he is not covered under, of course. But nitrous is way more expensive, and this guy is his own boss and can set his own rates (unlike the other guy who worked in a chain) so this treatment cost less than half the torturous session of my previous periodontist!

Came home and performed a little ritual of thanksgiving to the Divine. Then called my friend and thanked her for the referral.

So now ya'll know. There IS an alternative, and no one should have to suffer to get necessary dental treatment!  ;D
"I refuse to have a duel of wits with an unarmed person."

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006, 08:14:11 PM »

Great news! Glad it went so well!
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 08:36:29 PM »

So happy to hear you had a good experience, Charmaine!! 

Susan ;D

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 09:39:16 PM »

Wow! That is SUPER.
I'm so glad you had a good experience.
Ella
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 42 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal