Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo Cheerleading  (Read 7452 times)

Daniel Hatadi

• Ink Slinger
  • Daniel Hatadi is a crime writer based in Sydney.
    • Daniel Hatadi
NaNoWriMo Cheerleading
« on: October 31, 2006, 05:20:46 PM »

Australians get a head start on November 1st by about ten to sixteen hours compared to the Yanks, so I wrote a couple of paragraphs just past midnight, before heading off to dreamland.

Best of luck to Joyce, Angie and any other MWF'ers that have taken up this insane challenge.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:41:10 AM by Daniel Hatadi »

linda

• Ink Slinger
Re: NaNoWriMo BEGINS!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 06:45:40 PM »

Yeah for the MWF NaNoWriMo team!!!

GO FOR IT!!!!

Joyce S

• Expositor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 02:33:44 PM »

I thought about staying up until midnight US ET, but faded when the 10 o'clock news come on. I got up this morning, made a big cup of tea, and got my 1,668 words (50,000 / 30 = 1,667) done before showering, before breakfast, and definitely before checking my email, MWF, and the NaNoWriMo sites. I had been wondering how I was going to get the FMC to go up to Vermont with the MMC, but interestingly enough the first scene with the FMC and her fiance (yup, she's going to dump him for the MMC) showed me that the fiance is actually going to encourage her to take the trip, thinking that it will speed up a project she wants to finish and he's agreed to let her finish before they set the wedding date.

I'm lucky that today, 11/1, turned out to be a vacation day. My daughter missed her flight from London Heathrow on Monday and ended up coming home a day later. So I moved a scheduled vacation day from Tuesday to Wednesday. We went to brunch together and shopping. She'll head back to UGA shortly.

What a nice coincident that I have the first of November, the first day of NaNoWriMo away from my paying job so I can get some extra word count done.

By the way, I can't thought of a name for the FMC's fiance so I'be been using 'Pompous'. Does anyone else have trouble coming up with the perfect name and what do you do about it?

Hoping to get another few thousand words created and keyed before the end of the day,

Joyce S

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:59:32 PM »

Good luck to all. I've made this a sticky thread, which means it stays at the top of the forum, so we can all see it and encourage Dan, Joyce, and Angie (and any others).
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 04:10:01 PM »

Joyce,
I also get stuck on names sometimes and then choose a descriptive substitute so I can come back to it later.  Sometimes I am so drained on ideas, I will name the person something like Joe Lastname.  How creative!   :-[

Susan

Daniel Hatadi

• Ink Slinger
    • Daniel Hatadi
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 07:50:13 PM »

Good going, Joyce. Did you make that extra thousand?

I hit 2033 for my first day, and the writing itself is not too bad. One of the sneaky preparation tactics I used was to build a list of names, both male and female, that would suit my story. It only took a few seconds to name a new character, which frees me up for more words.

Thanks Bob for making this a sticky. Every little bit of motivation helps, and one of the reasons I'm being so vocal about this whole exercise to increase my fear levels. :)

Joyce S

• Expositor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 10:35:07 PM »

I managed 5,027 -- a great start! I really wanted to get off to a strong start, particularly because I had the luxury of the day off, and I guess I managed just that.

Next test will be whether I can get the daily goal (1,667) done on a typical work day.

Congrats on your 2,033, Daniel.

I have a list of potential names, but none seem to fit Pompous. My daughter had a suggestion, but I can't remember it now, so obviously it did not strike a cord with me.

Off to bed now, got two long days ahead of me at the office coming up.

Joyce S

Michele Viney

• Hack
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 05:23:54 AM »

Joyce

This might sound a bit lame, but I sometimes flick through the phone book at random. In Ireland it's not all initials in the phone book and even if I don't find the exact name that suits it starts a train of thought that leads me to the name I hope in the end works.

On the other hand in the mystery I'm currently writing (NOT for NaNoWriMo - I hasten to add!), two characters Ben and Tom just upped and introduced themselves and I hadn't planned for them at all :o

The very best wishes to everyone taking part in this madness - as we sometimes say in Ireland
Go néirí an bothar leat (May the road rise with you). It sounds like you've all made great starts.

Cheers
Michele
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre

Angie

• Hack
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 10:54:30 AM »

Guess I'm the slacker in the bunch...I broke a thousand, but didn't make the 1667.  I'm having a hard time with the whole "quantity over quality" concept.  I seem constitutionally incapable of writing without editing.  But it's still early and I'm gonna try and get the word count back up there. 

Damn.  Two days in and I'm already tired & verging on big-whiney-baby syndrome!
 :P
Angie

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 11:40:17 AM »

I seem constitutionally incapable of writing without editing.

That's why I didn't try this.  Any time I get "writer's block", it's because I've taken a path that was wrong for the story.  If I go back and fix it (which sometimes takes several days), the words (and story) begin to flow again.  No way I can write 50,000 words and finish a rough draft in a month.  I am truly in awe of those who can.

Hope all of you will surpass your quota today!

Joyce S

• Expositor
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 09:08:34 PM »

Struggled to get an additional 1,668 tonight, but I'm up to 6,703. Ended up with an 11-hour day at the office with a half hour commute--12 perfectly good hours NOT used writing.

Angie, it really is important to board your Inner Editor in the safe hands of the "fully licensed, board-certified No Plot? No Problem! Inner Editor Kennel" where, according to Chris Baty, it will spend the month of November "carping with other Inner Editors, happily pointing out typos in the newspaper and complaining about the numerous plot holes on daytime television."

Joyce S

Daniel Hatadi

• Ink Slinger
    • Daniel Hatadi
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 11:49:51 PM »

Joyce, you're a MACHINE! Good for you, and hope it continues.

Angie, Joyce is right about the Inner Editor. Baty's book has a silly little 'button' to press on a page about this topic. I pressed it, and I actually think it helped.

We're such physical beings, us humans.

My word count is on target at 4073 (my lunchtime target, still have to do 1K more tonight), but things have become a little more complicated for me. I'm sort of cheating. But not really. :)

Rock on, fellow NaNo'ers.

Janet Koch

• Expositor
Re: NaNoWriMo (Sticky)
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 05:10:49 PM »

Keep it going, you NaNoWriMos!

Joyce - I came across some of names today that might fit Pompous. I was looking at subdivision plats from the early 1900 and saw:

Fenton
Sumner
Addis
Ashton
Arden

Good luck!

Janet

Joyce S

• Expositor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 09:38:47 PM »

Egads, Pompous is running for a soon to be vacated state senate seat. Where did that some from?

I like Charleigh's new dog, Cricket. Charleigh is my FMC. Cricket's going to be fun.

Janet, thanks for the suggested names. Sumner sounds close to what I'm looking for.

Since I've done my quota of words for the day (up to 8,382 now), I can treat myself to some research. Maybe one of the baby name sites will reveal something to me. Or maybe I should just look more carefully at the political signs proliferating by the roadsides like rabbits lately.

And if I manage to keep up my energy, I might go back and try to figure out how to get Cricket properly into some of the earlier scenes. Can't just have him showing up three days into the story. Until I meet my daily quota, I only allow myself to move forward. Once I've met the quota, I allow myself to go back and add things. (The happy coincidence is that it adds to my word count!) Things that don't fit, don't get deleted; they get lined out; after all, who's to say those words might not fit somewhere else?

Hey, Daniel, I pushed the button in the middle of page 108, too. I believe, I believe, I believe!

Joyce

linda

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 10:19:10 PM »

I am so enjoying these posts.  Y'all are inspiring us to try this next year.

And I know what you mean by your inner editor - I change the first chapter so much while trying to get it "just right," that I'm tired of the book before I get into the second chapter.  And if I'M tired of it, just think what the reader must be feeling.

Keep going NaNos!  We're backing you all the way!

Linda
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal