Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 19
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: News About My Day Job  (Read 11893 times)

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
News About My Day Job
« on: September 14, 2007, 12:25:30 AM »

New Year's is, of course, a day when we look forward to new beginnings, to resolutions and changes that will improve the course of our life.

So, though I'm not Jewish, it seems quite appropriate that it was on Rosh Hashana that I was sworn into a new law enforcement position and embarked on a new voyage in my police career.

I may have mentioned here that my grandfather, the first member of my family to enter the profession of law enforcement, was a railroad policeman.  On 12 September, I followed in his footsteps by joining the AMTRAK Police ("Protecting a Nation in Transit") as a uniformed officer.

AMTRAK's police force anticipates an unprecedented period of growth over the next few years, with consequent opportunities for advancement and professional growth. And I'm going to be part of it.

A few years ago, when I was going through an incredibly low point in my life, both professionally and personally, I happened upon the MWF site.  It quickly became a form of therapy at a time when I badly needed it.

Over the next few years, as my personal and professional fortunes slowly improved,  MWF and its members have been one of the sources of strength as I persevered though my dark night.   There were high points I could share, like my book getting published, my getting a Debut Dagger nomination, and my winning the Spur.  There were low points when I knew I could count on you for support, like my dad's passing.

For many reasons, this job that I started yesterday makes me feel vindicated.  You all helped me to keep on keeping on while I sought this vindication.

Many of you have thanked me for the help I've given you.  You've never known how much being able to give that help was a great help to me.  So now it gives me great pleasure to return the favor and thank you all.

Lee Lofland

• Expositor
    • www.leelofland.com
Re: News About My Day Job
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:35:47 AM »

Congratulations, Jim. I think you made a great move. In your line of work change is good for the soul. I wish you luck.
There are no perfect crimes, merely imperfect investigations.

www.leelofland.com

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 07:38:33 AM »

Congratulations on your job move, Jim, and may God bless and be with you as you continue to "serve and protect"!

Donna

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 10:44:31 AM »

Jim, I'm one of those people you helped through a very dark period of my life - my mother's passing - and I'll always be grateful. It is wonderful to see good things happening for you. I hope the new job is all you expect it to be and more. God Bless!

Lynette

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 10:54:56 AM »

Best wishes in your new position - hope you can share bits about the job with us, I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

I agree with you about the support of this group - you have certainly reached out and helped me  :D

You are in my thoughts,
Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

stevent

• Expositor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 10:45:31 PM »

Wow. Congratulations, Jim. I'm sure you'll serve Amtrak and the riding public well. And no doubt this new field will give you more fodder for story telling.

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »

Shanna Tova to you, Jim!

I'm so happy for you on your new job. A beautiful job for a beautiful person!

Penny

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:39:37 PM »

Congrats on the new job Jim! ;D

Peg H
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 05:00:34 PM »

Oh, Jim, you've been magnificent on MWF.  I have stood in awe of your expertise about the genre. So I think we have gained more than you.

But a new start, a new beginning is a wonderful thing. May it make you very happy.

And I recognize a new series in this occupation.  There must be a million tales and a never ending cast of characters just waiting for you, you lucky devil!

Ingrid

Angie

• Hack
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 06:31:35 PM »

Mega-congrats, Jim! Sounds like a fascinating new job opportunity with deep ties to your familial history. Very, very cool. Much happiness and success to you! Oh, and I've always benefited from your shared wisdom and experience. You've been so generous with your time and expertise - much appreciated. Glad to hear good things are happening for you!

Angie

Golden

• Expositor
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 12:59:28 AM »

Dearest Jim,

What grand news. It truly sounds like a job that will lend itself to a variety of new and exciting experiences. If anything, I can attest to the fact that I never seem to end up where I was headed, but undoubtedly arrive at the right place at the right time with the right people. I consider this board, as always, to be one of those wonderful excursions. As to your contribution to the forum, I would be remiss without offering you a shout-out as well. I do hope that the new position will not interfere with your occassional -- if not frequent -- visits to this site.  :D

Golden

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 04:46:41 PM »

Jim, belated congratulations! Do you mostly work in Chicago, or are you riding the rails these days?

I took my first Amtrak ride this August -- my DH and I took the Empire Builder from Wisconsin to Seattle and back, with a stop at Glacier National Park, to celebrate our 25th anniversary. It was GREAT!!!! (Both the train trip and the anniversary) We are now big Amtrak fans. Hope it's as good a place to work as it is to vacation on.

And what a perfect venue for a mystery series...

Kathy W.

Brenda B.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »

Jim, I'm so late in reading this that there I can't think of anything to say that hasn't already been said. I'm very happy for you and hope that this new position brings you much joy and fulfillment. You deserve it! ;D
Purchase the Alex Masters Mystery series consisting of: Dead Birds Don't Sing, JailBird, A Bird By Any Other Name, and SwanSong at writewordsinc.com or amazon.com
"Dead Birds..." and "Jailbird" are now available in print!

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 12:15:15 PM »

Many, many thanks for all the good wishes.  I've been enjoying the job quite a bit while working with a field training officer, and, yes, there is much material here for possible fictional use.  There has been one novel written about the AMTRAK Police, a self-published novel called Northeast Corridor.  I haven't read it, but I guess I'll have to pick it up now.

Kathy W., for the nonce, I'm working Chicago's Union Station (which, covering, as it does a half-dozen or so square blocks, with 200,000+ people traveling through it most days, is a pretty massive beat all by itself), with some mobile side patrols out to the Chicago maintenance yards owned by AMTRAK, but, as the department expands, I will be on trains making short runs.  Long run trains, when it's deemed necessary, are traveled on by AMTRAK officers holding the rank of "detective," which has a fairly specific meaning in this department.

Interestingly, aside from my family background in railroad policing, one of my all-time favorite cop novels was an Edgar-winner from 1950 called Nightmare in Manhattan, the first novel by Thomas Walsh, who'd been earning his living to that point writing procedural short stories for pulps like Black Mask and slicks like Saturday Evening PostNiM, in fact, was first serialized in the Post.  It's about a railroad detective trying to thwart a kidnapping plot centered in Grand Central Station (fictionalized, in this novel, into "Manhattan Depot," but obvious to anyone familiar with the famous NYC train terminal).

When the novel was filmed, with William Holden as the cop, the setting was changed from NYC to Chicago, and the title was changed to Union Station.

Now I'm walking in Bill Holden's shoes, as well as my grandfather's, and acting out one of my favorite cop novels.

Leon

• Scribbler
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 01:29:11 PM »

Jim,

I think you have a novel brewing that may very well set a new standard.

Leon

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal