Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 183
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: no rub-a-dub-dub for me  (Read 6318 times)

ella

• Expositor
no rub-a-dub-dub for me
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:43:31 AM »

Tucson AZ Temps went down to 21' last night. I did leave my kitchen sink dripping. Both outside hose bibs were covered. Both toilets and washing machine work. Both bathroom sinks work with good pressure, both hot and cold, same for the guest tub.  Tub in master bath has no water, hot or cold. It's bone dry.
Is it safe to run the other waters, or do I need to worry about a leak from a busted tub pipe?
What do I need to do? I guess that sounds pretty basic, but, I'd rather not call a plumber if I don't need to.  Help!

Ella

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: no rub-a-dub-dub for me
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 11:14:44 AM »

For what it's worth I'll give you my thoughts, but electricity is more my line.
With everything else working it sounds as if the frozen bathtub pipe is between where the water comes out and the hot and cold are mixed.  I cannot see any way that could cause a problem anywhere else in your water system.

As to whether you need a plumber or not depends on waiting for the pipe to thaw to see if it really burst or not.  If you don't have easy access to the tub's faucets you might have to call someone just to find out if it is ok or not.  That's not very good news.

Hopefully, this won't happen again, but I've never understood why they only talk about leaving "kitchen" faucets dripping.  They all should drip to keep the water going throughout the system.

Take a look at this and see if it helps -
http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-thaw-frozen-pipes.htm

Good luck,
Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 11:57:04 AM »

I've checked the outside faucets and both work. All inside (except that tub) faucets are dripping, and all else still works. I've opened cupboards to let the warmer in them,  and it's to go to 53 today. I don't use/can't find my hair dryer.  I do have a small space heater, but I don't know where to direct the heat.
That bathroom is actually sort of warm: when it's cold out, I close my bedroom door to help keep the heat in, so that room is not cold. That faucet is open in hopes that it will thaw.
Thanks for the link.
Ella

Jay Hartzler

• Scribbler
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:38:30 PM »

I pulled the following information from my company's website.  Unfortunately, they suggest calling a plumber if your pipes are frozen.  :(  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

http://www.statefarm.com/learning/loss_prevent/learning_lossprevention_frozpipes.asp
..."You just can't sing a depressing song when you're playing the banjo. You can't go, 'Oh Death and grief and sorrow and murder...'"

Steve Martin

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 01:32:01 PM »

Used a small space heater and held it close to the faucet and to the handle for a bit, a couple of times. Then went outside about 10 minutes. Dog barked. Came in a few minutes later to a strange roar--tub!
flowing freely! tonight and all future times, I will have ALL faucets dripping, not just the farthest one.
thanks for your support in this.
                Edited to say: Only the hot water is coming through. Will it help get the cold thawed if I run the hot water, or just continue with heat a few times?

Okay. The cold water is running now, too, from the faucet and the shower head. Again, thanks for your suggestions and support.Ella
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 02:01:51 PM by ella »

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 02:03:56 PM »

Terrific news Ella - - - Need a new title - - - Rub-a-dub-dub for me  ;D

Well done, another mystery solved!!!

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 42 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal