Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 166
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: O.J. Simpson Book not a Rumor  (Read 13385 times)

Debbie Matthews

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Deborah Matthews - Romance Author
O.J. Simpson Book not a Rumor
« on: November 15, 2006, 02:45:37 PM »

I read somewhere the OJ book was just a rumor, but alas, no.  He's also going to talk about it on Fox.  He's actually going to tell if he'd murdered Nicole and Ron, how he'd done it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,229504,00.html

Barbara Walters said today on The View she'd turned the interview down.  She has also read the book, but had signed a confidentiality statement, so couldn't talk about it.  One thing she did say the papers had reported was that someone was with him.

Some publishers have no ethics!

Debbie
Debbie
"Do or do not.  There is no try."-Yoda
---------------------
Deborah Matthews
winner of the 2002 National Reader's Choice Awards
http://deborahmatthews.net
http://shoutlife.com/deborahbriscoe

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
Re: O.J. Simpson Book not a Rumor
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 02:49:48 PM »

I sincerely hope that every penny of any money he makes on it goes to the families of the murdered.   I wonder about the ethics of anybody who offers the man airtime.  The whole thing sickens me.

Lee Lofland

• Expositor
    • www.leelofland.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 03:16:25 PM »

This is indeed one of the most tasteless things I've ever seen. And considering some of the things I've seen that says a lot.

The sad thing is that the general public will buy this book like it's the best thing in the world - like kids in a candy store. I guess that's not a good analogy anymore. I should say, like kids in a video game store. Or, like a congressman in a Boys and Girls Club.
There are no perfect crimes, merely imperfect investigations.

www.leelofland.com

Nellie

• Cub
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 03:30:57 PM »

I have to admit I'm torn.  It would be a fascinating read, but I don't want a  murderer to profit from what he did. I can imagine that him and his lawyer have already figured out how to keep the money.  I was laid off for part of the trial and really got immersed in it since I had nothing else to do.  I suppose enough details will leak out so I really don't have to buy it.  One of the tabloids already said Simpson describes the murder "hypothetically", and does say someone else was with him.
I know, I can wait and buy it second hand.  No profit for Simpson that way.
Nellie

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 06:35:54 PM »

I was discussing this with a cop friend today, and we touched on the double jeopardy aspect.

If he (hypothetically, of course  :-\ ) admits to having a second person there, he's admitting conspiracy. Could he then be charged with conspiracy to commit a crime he was previously found innocent of? I'd say yes, but I am not a lawyer.

Here's another AP article. Several publishers turned it down, and one attorney suggests he may be able to hide some of the money. Nicole's family has already lost one court decision about the book a couple of weeks ago.

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 07:28:06 PM »

I had just read an internet article about the book when I logged on to MWF. I saw that the the book was published by Regan Books, an inprint of Harper Collins, but they are refusing to say how much they paid Simpson. Maybe I shouldn't feel this way, but I hope they lose lots of money on the deal. I certainly don't intend to give them any of mine. And neither will I waste my time watching the FOX interview with him.

Lynette

Karen1

• Scribbler
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 07:51:20 PM »

I suppose OJ's children are all grown up now, but can you imagine the effect this is having on them?  How horrible to lose your mother and then have "good old dad" confess "hypothetically."

OJ Simpson won't get any of my hard-earned dollars, and I'll not indulge his ego by watching him on television.

Karen     

Debbie Matthews

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Deborah Matthews - Romance Author
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 08:42:24 PM »

>Could he then be charged with conspiracy to commit a crime he was previously found innocent
>of?

Jack McCoy does that sort of thing all the time.  I wish it were possible.

Debbie
Debbie
"Do or do not.  There is no try."-Yoda
---------------------
Deborah Matthews
winner of the 2002 National Reader's Choice Awards
http://deborahmatthews.net
http://shoutlife.com/deborahbriscoe

Lee Lofland

• Expositor
    • www.leelofland.com
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 09:59:16 PM »

He cannot be charged with conspiracy to committ a crime that he's already been found not guilty of committing. A general verdict of not guilty bars a subsequent prosecution for the original offense, the attempt to committ that offense, for being an accessory to the offense, and for conspiracy to committ the offense.

He'd have to be charged with committing an entirely different offense.

I don't believe he is confessing to the crime in his book and during his TV appearance. I think he's telling how he'd have committed the crime if indeed he was the killer.

Gee, I wonder how he knows...Guilty, Guilty, Guilty!

www.leelofland.com

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 10:49:38 PM »

Lee,

What if he were to admit in the interview that he was there, and had entered her house, to surprise her and kill her? I know he wouldn't do much time on a burglary charge, but could they do that?

What about offenses following the murder, such as tampering with evidence? Probably not, eh?

What saddens me the most is that I really used to like him, as a football player, and an actor, and here I'm trying really hard to put him in prison.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Lee Lofland

• Expositor
    • www.leelofland.com
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 11:11:50 PM »

I'm not sure what the statute of limitations are in California for offenses other than murder, but I'm sure they've all run their course and have expired. It's been over ten years, right?

My guess is that he's not going to admit to anything. This story is all going to be hypothetical.

www.leelofland.com

Nellie

• Cub
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 03:27:08 AM »

Too bad a prosecutor can't find some obscure law to get him with.  We can always hope :).
I wonder if someone ghost wrote Simpson's book?  Seems likely, though I suppose it's possible he did it himself.
I know what his next book should be.  It should be about how he's hypothetically looking for the real killers.
Nellie

krisneri

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 11:44:48 AM »

That sick #%$$ just can't stand not being the center of attention. I feel for his children. If they've been in denial up until this point, it's going to be hard to remain in that state. His daughter, judging by her own legal scraps, appears to be a troubled girl, so she probably has few illusions. I also feel sorry for the families of the victims. Those wounds are going to be reopened by this. But I hope that they can manage to tap whatever money he makes from this book, unlike his football pension. He shouldn't be able to profit from what he did.

The media and some publishers are such whores.

Kris

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 12:18:35 PM »

Bob,

In addition to Lee's point about the statute (which may or may not apply; it depends on how much time Simpson's spent in California; the statute stops running anytime an offender leaves the state, and Simpson lives in FLA precisely because his assets, specifically his home and his NFL pension, are protected there), the burglary (defined in California as entering a home or building with intent to commit a theft or felony) would be regarded as part of the lesser included offense, and covered by the original acquittal.

What surprises me is that the family that got the "wrongful death" judgment can't collect from the advance.  I read that a California judge will be rejecting the claim on "technical grounds."  Could someone with more knowledge of civil law than me explain what technical grounds would protect income deriving from the commission of a tort, when the judgment in favor of the plaintiffs has already been made?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:28:38 PM by JIM DOHERTY »

CarolG.

• Scribbler
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 03:34:28 PM »

What surprises me is that the family that got the "wrongful death" judgment can't collect from the advance.  I read that a California judge will be rejecting the claim on "technical grounds."  Could someone with more knowledge of civil law than me explain what technical grounds would protect income deriving from the commission of a tort, when the judgment in favor of the plaintiffs has already been made?

It surprises me too. If you can point me to where you read about it, I'll take a look. The only info I could find on the net from a quick search related to the Goldmans' attempt to take Simpson's publicity rights generally, rather than profits from this book specifically. (And the article didn't say how the court decided, or if it has decided, on that issue.) "Technical grounds" can be extraordinarily frustrating and, by definition, may have nothing to do with the equity of the situation... maybe they filed a piece of paper in the wrong court or something  ???
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal