Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 59
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Only in England!  (Read 1280 times)

Tony

• Scribbler
Only in England!
« on: May 02, 2008, 05:07:27 AM »

It is reported in the press here today that common sense has finally prevailed in the case of some chap who has had the possibility of a criminal conviction hanging over his head these last four years:

This fellow was reported by police for playing his music too loud. He was playing Riverdance by that Irish bloke who dances on one leg...

The Urchin refused to pay his £30.00 fine.

Lots of acidic letters were exchanged and eventually Bailiffs were sent to his home with a distress warrant to collect goods to the value of £500.00 which includes the accumulated expenses incurred by officials and bailiffs to recover the original sum.

"An Englishmans home is his Castle" and this chap refused to allow them access, eventually he was arrested by police to prevent a breach of the peace...

In court the Judge looked at the case and questioned why so much effort had been applied in the recovery of £30.00.  The Judge actually stated that he was going to apply some common sense.

After four years of hitherto legal wrangling and threats of criminal convictions The Judge joked that; whilst he was prepared to sentence the defendant to life imprisonment for inflicting Riverdance on the general population, he was however on reflection happy to throw the case out.

It is interesting to note that in this country at this time, if one parks ones car in the wrong place one can be hit with a £120.00 fine. Burglars and robbers are getting away with fines that "reflect their ability to pay” and often escaping imprisonment and  recovery of fines for playing music too loud  is pursued with an almost religious fervour.

Submitted for anecdotal interest.

Tony... :)

"A man may forget his triumphs
whilst his failures shape him"
Julius Caesar

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: Only in England!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »

Sigh - it's everywhere Tony.  Two months ago I got a call from a police department in another state looking for a guy they thought I might have some information on.  He was a student of mine in yet another state in the late 80's!  And, sitting in front of me taking his final was the last time I ever saw him.

To have found me after all these years and moves had to have used a ton of valuable people and monetary resources.

Though I do hope that whatever he did wasn't any worse than playing 'Riverdance' too loudly.

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

linda

• Ink Slinger
Re: Only in England!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 11:44:16 AM »

And if you question them on it, they would say they were doing it in the interest of 'maintaining peace.' 

We're allowed discretion when we do police work here.  And I might give a kid a ticket for loud music if he ignores me when I tell him to turn it down. 

However, some of their priorities are getting ridiculous.  Especially when I see kids that smash car windows and rip the stereo and DVD players out of someone's car.  And we can only hit them with a misdemeanor.  They get a slapped on the hand with a  couple days in the county jail and are released.  And they still have the money from the stereo and the DVD that they sold or exchanged for dope.

In the meantime, the vehicle's owner has a large bill for the repairs to his car, never mind trying to afford replacing the stereo and DVD.

Life is not always fair or right.

Linda
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal