Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 55
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: proud enough to bust a gusset!  (Read 5087 times)

ella

• Expositor
proud enough to bust a gusset!
« on: December 09, 2006, 01:33:22 PM »

Today we did a 6--yes SIX mile run with two other bikejorers in less than an hour, for a total of 18 miles for Dogs Across America, and we're going out again tomorrow.
Mira's standard is about 1.2 miles -and that's not even necessarily once a week, but we did get out yesterday for her usual about a 10 minute (1.2 mile)run.

Our trail was mostly hard dirt, with some sand, and crushed and regular gravel/stones. The trail was straight with a few small hills. We took several breaks for me. Though there were a few times Mira was winded, she recovered quickly and was ready to go before I was.
Temps in low 50's to start, and I used O2 for the first 3 miles and it ran out. So we went slower on the return.
Mira was So-o excited! I've never seen her that way, jumping, cavorting, carrying on!

I did take a spill, going downhill through sand, a quick left turn UP onto hard clay. The front wheel stopped, but me and bike didn't! It started to upend, but settled back beside me. Mira ran on to the fellow just ahead, then came back. Didn't hit my head, but was glad I had the helmet on.

Dog treats back at the van (starting point) was a hot dog each, and I have NEVER seen Mira INHALE food the way she did that dog! She DID leave the fingers!

What a great morning, AND we're going out again tomorrow.
FYI, we've more than doubled last year's DAA miles!
(double would have been 8 miles. Now we have 18, and tomorrow this time, maybe 36!)
Ella
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 07:46:49 PM by ella »

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
Re: proud enough to bust a gusset!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 05:26:39 PM »

Congrats!  Man, it's cold here.  Where are you running?

Ingrid

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 07:45:32 PM »

Tucson, Arizona. If you want to join us, we'll leave the starting point between 8:15 and 8:30 :)
We'd love to have you! Don't know how far we'll go this time, my bike seat sitting on muscles are tender  ;D !
Ella

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 02:52:57 AM »

Just to make sure I understand, Ella: Were you riding bikes while the dog ran beside you???

Penny (unsure of the terms mentioned)    :-\

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 10:14:41 AM »

Can't wait to hear how it went - applauding fingers want to know  :D

And, what sort of dog is your most excellent sport?

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 12:54:45 PM »

Thank you very much! It was fun, both days!
Penny, we ride bikes and the dogs are in front, pulling. (think dogsledding, but with a bike) I usually pedal, because Mira is not in good shape right now since we don't do a lot of this, and these were our first 4 mile trips. Usually she goes only a little more than a mile. When I need a break from pedalling, I can rest and just let her continue pulling. We pedal uphill, and where the terrain is difficult for them to pull--through sand, rocks, gravel, grasses, etc.

Now I must make a sad correction: it was not 6 miles after all, it was only 4 for two of us, me and Terry, and 5 miles for Stan. so, 13 miles total yesterday, and the same today, for _26_ miles for Dogs Across America for Arizona.
The dogs did as well today as yesterday, but I know Mira will be glad for a break.
I'm really grateful to have not only this sport, but DogsLovetoRun and SEMushers for support. The benefits to both Mira and myself are really incalcuable. She gets good exercise, gets to work with her 3 friends, increases her stamina and strength, thus overall health and I hope longevity, and the same for me.
I used the O2 of course. Since I quit frying food several weeks ago, breathing is easier  for me, and though I need the O2, I recover my breath faster and a bit easier.
Life is good. Thanks to Daphne and all the list members at DogsLovetoRun for getting us started, and Deb and the members of the sister group of SEMushers.
Ella
man 40s, bike, small chow
man, 56, bike, border collie
me, still feeling about 18 instead of over 60, bike, Belgian Sheepddog
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 01:07:50 PM by ella »

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 01:09:55 PM »

Here's one link:
http://www.nwlink.com/~brucec/bkjr.htm
He has a lot of good info there.
Ella

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 01:37:33 PM »

Thanks for the invitation, but since I have a dachshund who's 14 and 1/2, and in any case am more likely to be pulling a dog than the other way around, Maggie and I will pass.

Ingrid

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 01:43:20 PM »

Since I quit frying food several weeks ago, breathing is easier  for me, and though I need the O2, I recover my breath faster and a bit easier.
Ella - wow do you have a lot to be proud of - that was one heck of a major life style change.  I've had to make a number of them myself and know they are no piece of cake.  You are very inspiring   ::)

Great dog line up - currently I'm a courtesy aunt to Baby an American Pitt with an unmeasurable love quotion and boundless energy - I've passed on your link to her daddy who is an avid biker -  be a good thing to start around here.

Elena

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 05:12:17 PM »

You don't say where "here" is, I'm guessing not in Europe, cuz bikejoring and canicross are big sports there.
DogsLovetoRun and SEMushers are both yahoo groups:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SEMushers/
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DogsLovetoRun/?yguid=21793232
Pitts are among the best pullers and several people on the lists have one or more.
If he'd like to learn more about this, I'll supply more links.
FWIW, Mira trots about 4-5 miles an hour, (our 4 mile runs were about 50 minutes with breaks), but many dogs go a lot faster--8-10 or 12 mph, some sustain that for a while. Some dogs run over 20 mph, but I have no idea of how long they can keep that up, or the training and conditioning in that.

The far end of our run was at a spot where numerous mountain bikers go to keep in shape. We don't have a lot of hills here, and apparently this 300 acres of single track trails gives quite a workout. Both days, we 3 bikejorers had some of the spandex crowd laughing and cheering us on! It was a hoot!
Ella

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 05:17:35 PM »

....................................    :)   A tired dog is a happy dog!    :)     ................................

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 05:32:12 PM »

You don't say where "here" is, I'm guessing not in Europe - - -  We don't have a lot of hills here,

I'm in Wisconsin, and we have plenty of hills - enough to share if you can figure out a way of moving them   :D

Thank you for the web sites, I'll pass them on.  Talk about tired - you should see Baby pulling her dad on roller blades - then you should see the "official" stopping technique - the closest tree! 

Zounds I miss having a dog  :-\  Thanks for sharing yours.

Elena

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 11:01:07 PM »

heheheh!
stopping like that is, aa-ah--not fun!
Hope the boy's well protected!
I don't know if anybody's logged miles on skates for DAA, maybe your friend will next year?
Ella

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 04:54:36 PM »

....................................    :)   A tired dog is a happy dog!    :)     ................................
I've heard that about people, also, but I can assure everyone that a great deal depends on the circumstances, including, e.g., how one got tired, and lots more. I have no idea whether dogs' tiredness affects their happiness so directly that circumstances don't matter.
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 05:16:20 PM »

re Byron's comment:  Yes, I did a double take on this also. It is so easy to forget that dogs can't tell us when they are suffering. I have seen many roller bladers and bicylists with exhausted dogs.  It's one thing to exercise them, but they should be able to stop when they've had enough.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal