Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 51
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another on-line time consumer  (Read 1889 times)

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
Another on-line time consumer
« on: November 23, 2008, 08:30:05 AM »

We've mentioned blogs as a possible reason for people not being active here anymore.  I've discovered one more.  Facebook (or MySpace).   I set up a Facebook account only so I could see family photos, but have discovered I spend a lot of time there catching up with old friends and acquaintances.  sigh.  It's nice, but it's one more distraction from writing.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: Another on-line time consumer
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:50:25 AM »

I got invited to a similar website called Crimespace, followed by a derived invitation to Book Place.  Neither one takes up much of my time, however, because the contents aren't interesting enough, and Crimespace usually doesn't work at all. (That could possibly be because I gave up on making the "standard" browsers--Internet Explorer and Firefox--work for me after I mis-set something unknown and couldn't find out what, much less how to reset whatever it is: lots of websites act as if the "standard" browser people own them. Try converting to a non-standard browser such as Opera or Safari and if you're lucky they won't work with Facebook, and you'll save all that time, thus finishing the great american [mystery] novel in record time.)
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:48:14 PM »

Byron, how can you call my beloved Safari on my beloved Mac non-standard :'(

I bought it the day I retired celebrating the idea that I no longer had to 'swing on Bill's gate'  ::)

You are right though, I do run into sites that have not optimized for Safari. Most of them fix it when I point it out. Some apparently are so rich that they are willing to let potential business slip past their web sites. The car companies are really bad when it comes to Safari.
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »

Call it what you will--many a website refuses to recognize it.  But it works on most of the ones that matter to me so far.  I haven't been able to figure out how to print a selection from a page that I visited with Safari, but I don't doubt that there's really a way to do so: my other three browsers, even including Firefox and Internet Explorer will gladly do so (except where the page's owners have fixed it so it won't print), but not Safari.  Not so far, anyhow.  Maybe the fact that I have Safari on a PC instead of a Mac matters? Nevertheless, at the moment Safari is my default browser, "standard" or "non-standard"----it doesn't matter to me just so it works.
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal