Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 76
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192285 times)

Zara

• Ink Slinger
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2007, 12:13:42 AM »

Welcome back Chuck!
Zara

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2007, 12:17:01 AM »

Hi Chuck!  Welcome back.  ;D
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

Chuck

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2007, 12:36:44 AM »

Hello, Peg and Zara. It's good to be back. I figured MWF was gone. Glad it's still here and the old gang is still around.

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2007, 09:20:12 AM »

Chuck! I'm one of the old-timers who has missed you. It's good to have you back.

Kathy W.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2007, 09:30:05 AM »

Welcome back Chuck,
Glad you were able to fiind us again.  And, may your new computer give you all the worry free use you want  :D
Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Chuck

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2007, 11:37:05 AM »

It'll never, ever replace my old Royal typewriter. Sixty-seven years old and still working fine.   ::)

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2007, 12:07:24 PM »

I was hoping you were the Chuck with the Royal Typewriter.  Glad to know it and you are still going strong.  It's great to have you back!

Donna

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2007, 01:03:01 PM »

Welcome back, Chuck!

Penny

Chuck

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2007, 01:09:59 PM »

Yep, back and with a book published, although I think I might have goofed by going with PublishAmerica to do it. I was swayed by the fact that they're now getting some fairly well known names signing with them. I did learn that someone actually found a copy of my book on the shelves of Barnes and Noble in Midland Texas, for whatever that's worth. 

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2007, 09:39:06 AM »

A published book? How wonderful! Tell us about it, please!

And what's wrong about your publisher? Something to do with distribution???

Penny (who's clueless about American publishing matters.)

Chuck

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2007, 01:39:17 PM »

Not much to tell Penny. I had the book in ebook form for some time. When the contract expired, I took it back and adopted some of the suggestions I'd heard. The book is titled GOSCHE. I originally wrote it in two viewpoints, one from the main character Dante Gosche, and the other from the viewpoint of the detective hunting him, in alternating chapters. Got lots of praise for the Dante side and comments that the detective chapters slowed the book down.

So, I rewrote it beginning to end and discovered that it was, in my opinion, too short, just over 200 pages. I let it sit on my old computer for a couple of years and was going to just dump it and forget about it. One day my wife was on my computer while hers was being fixed and started reading it. I told her I thought it was way too short and I'd done as much as I could. She told me to give it a shot anyway.

I did some snooping around and came up with PublishAmerica, which has a LOT of bad press and some good reports, figured the book wasn't doing anything anyway so sent it to them, and they took it. After some editorial work back and forth, they were finally satisfied and it's been out since September. So far, no idea of the sales, but it is available on Amazon, in some Barnes and Noble, and Waldens book stores or can be ordered by them, and through the company of course (cheaper).

Two people who've bought it absolutely love it, which makes me happy, but they're friends and I'm not sure they'd say otherwise even if they hated it.

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2007, 02:15:03 PM »

Well, it certainly seems like you're on the right track, Chuck.

Good luck with it!

Penny

Pat Cortinez

• Cub
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2007, 01:41:33 PM »

Hello MWF Members,

For the last several months, I have been lurking because I have no experience writing fiction, because  I have had  nothing useful to contribute to the forum, and because I am intimidated. by your experience, expertise, and success.  I have learned so much from you that I feel compelled to introduce myself.

For most of my life ‘home’ was in various locations of eastern Washington state.  After twenty-five plus years of teaching—mostly history at the college level—I took early retirement in 2004.  I sold my home, gave my car to charity, and moved to Mexico.  The move was premeditated; in fact, much detailed planning and preparation went into the procedure.  Awaiting me in Mexico was an older home on two lots which I had purchased the previous summer.  Since moving to Jerez, Zacatecas, my time has been occupied with remodeling the old house, and constructing an addition and a garage.

Anticipating retirement, I had assumed that there would be lots of time for writing fiction.  Wrong!  Too many interruptions and distractions.  As an historian, I spent decades getting as close to the truth as possible, as close as the evidence would allow.  Now to write fiction I must create, fabricate, lie…this is a major reversal of thinking for me. 

My work-in-progress is a mystery set in San Marcos, a small fictional Mexican town with a sizeable foreign population.  The main character is a middle age widow  recently appointed the acting U.S. attaché.  She is responsible for maintaining amiable relations between the townsfolk and the expats, and for solving mysteries—why are gringos turning- up dead? 

Pat Cortinez

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2007, 04:32:07 PM »

Welcome, Pat!  I'm glad you decided to introduce yourself.  Please don't be intimidated.  Wade right in.  Everybody here was once a beginner and we all had a million questions.  Once in awhile somebody asks historical questions.  You'll know the answer to those, so don't worry.  Your time to contibute useful information is coming.  :D

Your story sounds interesting!  Hope to see you around here often.

Donna

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2007, 04:34:43 PM »

Wow Pat,
I am glad you introduced yourself - I knew that many people retired from the states to Mexico, but have never "met" one before.  Wouldn't mind one bit hearing about your moving adventures.

And, I'm delighted you are trying your hand at fiction.  As you so aptly said, it is a different world.  I found the learning curve between non-fiction and fiction to be both steep and exhilarating.

But, as to why gringos keep turning up dead - that's a hard one, however, I have every confidence that your attache will apply her skills of finding out the truth and all will be revealed.

Que te vayas bien.
Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal