Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 193750 times)

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2007, 01:55:13 PM »

Don't know Rucka's Kodiak series protagonist; I need to check him out. My WIP is actually based in my town here in Mississippi, instead of the New Orlean's base of Al Forte. And I do need to join PWA; it would be helpful.

I think you'd like the series.  He's a bodyguard working out of NYC.  The first book, Keeper, was a Shamus nominee.  Coincidentally, that also dealt with abortion politics, not unlike your first. 

Louisa Dixon have mutual acquaintances but have never actually met her; I'll have to deliberately cross paths with her.

I've only met her via e-mails.  Janet Rudolph, who owns, operates, and edits Mystery Readers Journal was doing an issue on Mysteries Set in the Deep South.  I got in contact with her and former Knox County Homicide Detective David Hunter about contributing short articles about how they turned their professional law enforcement experiences into fiction.

I'm actually in north Mississippi, an area relatively unaffected by Katrina. Our coastline communities, however, are still recovering (and receiving much less publicity than others).

To get into the news, it probably helps to have a totally dysfunctional state and local government that can't get their acts together and blame everything on DC.

Laura J

• Cub
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2007, 07:30:06 PM »

Hi, guys,

I guess it's been long enough, that while a lot of your names are still familiar to me, mine won't be to you.  LOL. 

I do write traditional mysteries (aka cozy), and I have a completed manuscript for which I'm looking for an agent.  I'm working on book two in the mean time, with books 3-6 roughly outlined, and another series in the making as well. 

I am a single mother of two boys, ages 11 and just shy of 13.  I live in Alabama, and I tell you this much, I do NOT envy you northern birds your snow right now.  It was warm and sunny today, over 70 degrees.  :)  (ducking so I won't get pelted with all the snowballs hehe)

I was out of the MWF loop for a while because of technical difficulties on my part for a time, then MWF had moved and I only just discovered that.  I look forward to getting to know you all again. 

Laura J

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2007, 08:26:01 PM »

Welcome back Laura,

Glad you were able to find us again  :D

Don't worry about ducking, the sunny temps forecasted for around 50 should turn our streets into flowing rivers - you're too late for snowballs of frustration.

Best wishes on your agent search,
Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2007, 02:05:14 AM »

Hi Laura,
Welcome back!

<Pelting you with snowballs> 

We had more snow today--light an fluffy and only enough to cover the ground.
Peg H  ;D
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

Glen

• Cub
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2007, 08:48:33 AM »

Welcome back, Laura, from a fellow writer next door (the state next door, anyway).
And good luck on your agent-seeking efforts. I'm in the same boat; I've got a work in progress (after having published two mystery novels with a small publisher). I'm working on getting my new work in front of an agent.

I'm sure many can relate to the sometimes excruciating process of marketing. I HATE the thought of having to push myself and my work on others, but with the publishing business being and actual BUSINESS, it is what's required, up to a point.

I'll share a minor successful step in that direction:

A friend of mine, who's on an arts council in her community, calls me.

"Why don't you send us a short story for our contest?" she says.
"I'm not really a short story writer, but... why not?" I say.
So, I write it and send it in.
It wins third place. Woohoooo....

But, I wasn't necessarily planning to drive three hours to go collect that third place check and certificate.
Except for the fact that the judge of the contest was a mystery novelist, who'd published with national publishers. Who had an AGENT.
So, I call and ask my friend, "What are the chances of me coming down early and having lunch with Miz Novelist/Judge before the ceremony?"
She worked it out. I went, lunched, chatted, laughed, was charming funny Glen and almost completely non-pushy.

But I did say this. "I just thought that, since you chose my story, you might not mind if I met with you, in hopes that my work-in-progress could rise above the slush pile with a national publisher. It's sorta in the 'life is too short' category'"

And she said, "You're a good writer. I wouldn't mind if you sent something to my agent and tell her I sent you."

Now, I don't know what will happen with this contact. But I do know this: If I hadn't written the story and sent it in, and called and invited myself to lunch with her, she probably wouldn't have pulled me aside and said, "OMG, you're fabulous.. here's my agent's card and cell phone and address!"

========
Glen Allison

Every passing moment is another chance to turn it all around.
(Vanilla Sky)

Laura J

• Cub
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2007, 12:48:37 PM »

Thanks, Elana!  And thank goodness your snow is melting.   No snowballs from you.  Although Peg has nailed me with one or two.  I'm able to duck most of them, however, so I'm holding my own so far.  Whew!!

Glen, congratulations on your short story getting you an entrance into an agent's office!  I can't wait to hear how it turns out.  Sadly I don't have any art council friends, and the authors I know personally are in different genres than mystery, or they are published as you are, with a small press without an agent.  But I keep plugging away at getting my name out there SOMEHOW!  LOL.  Thanks for the encouragement. 

Laura

Zara

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2007, 02:01:17 PM »

Welcome back Laura! Don't worry for the snowballs, cold is good for the complexion   ;)

And Glen congratulations on a good move. Keeping my fingers crossed... §§§§ (...and toes  ;D )

Zara

Zara

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2007, 07:41:01 PM »

No more snowballs Laura J.  ;D  We actually hit 79 degrees today!  My yard is now devoid of snow and has become it's usual spring swamp.  The dogs have tracked so much mud onto my kitchen floor I'm thinking of planting  Irish moss in the grout lines.  If you haven't figured it out yet, my idea of cleaning is sweeping the room with a glance.   ;)  <sigh> Sooner or later I will have to drag out the mop.

Peg H

Laura J

• Cub
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »

It's been around that for days here.  This weekend we'll have a cool snap and be in the sixties.  LOL. 

Laura

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2007, 03:28:07 PM »

No more snowballs Laura J.

I take that back.  :-\   With this snowstorm we're getting today we'll be digging out for days. -=pelts everyone with snow balls!=-
(Where is Dave with that snow shovel?) ???

Peg H

James

• Scribbler
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2007, 01:09:12 PM »

Hi. I'm James, and I live in Scotland.  I'm a full time travel writer that is trying to break into mystery fiction, as I've had it up to here with aircraft, trains, airport security and editors that never reply to proposals.

For a while, 'way back when, I wrote drama, and had a few plays produced, and I also nearly broke into TV screenwriting (I had a commission from the BBC to develop a  TV series that I suggested) but screwed up (it's a longer story than that - I'll tell you about it if you have a spare week or two).

Now I live by myself in a 17th century cottage in a small town in SW Scotland, having left Glasgow and its chattering and creative classes that frequent the trendy wine bars and coffee shops behind. My social life has improved, and within a dozen miles of where I live there must be about 20 full time writers scribbling away in various genres. We meet ups for chats and drinks, as there are some good pubs and eateries around here.

My favourite authors are RD Wingfield, Robert Goddard, William McIlvanney. Lawrence Block,  and - oh - there are so many.

And that's about me really.

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2007, 04:49:52 PM »

;D  Hi James,

Welcome!

Peg H

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »

Welcome James,

Delighted you found your way to The Forum.

Lovely environment you live in for mystery writing.  And perhaps all those transportation and security woes will bear fruit on the printed page  :D

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

James

• Scribbler
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »

Thanks everyone. Good to be here among like-minded writers.

Angie

• Hack
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2007, 08:14:03 PM »

Howdy to all the new folks - I keep forgetting to check this thread, so there are a few new names.  But welcome!  Better late than never, no?

Angie
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal