Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 184
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192336 times)

Kat

• Hack
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #285 on: June 02, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »

Thank you!

I googled for mystery writer message boards several times and never found you until I googled mystery writers forum. I wonder how many writers are out there and just can't find this board and if there's anything we can do to help spread the word to make it more active.

One of the boards for children's writers is set up like this but the owner has added members only sections (after 50 posts) that include: Agent response times, Publisher response times, and Magazine Response times. Those are not for chatting just listing submissions on such a date, request for partials or fulls, then final date of rejection or acceptance. It really helps to learn which ones respond, how long it takes, and in what form.

They also have a critique group section where you can sign up to join critique groups or start your own through yahoo, google, etc. That's how I found my children's writers group--they're tough but dead on about things that need changing.

I think more people would check in each night if these things were offered in a private section for members only.

Thanks again for the warm welcome--it meant a lot to me.

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #286 on: June 02, 2009, 01:01:04 PM »

Welcome Kat,

This is a helpful place and is always there when you have a question. I know you will enjoy being in this group.

Like most writers, I have those first manuscripts in my desk and can't believe I thought the writing was wonderful when I did it. I pulled one out a few years ago and liked the idea, but hated the writing. I rewrote it from beginning to end and it became DUO OF OPPOSITES, one of my personal favorite books. Maybe because it hung around so long. So wait a few years and take a second look at your first work. Probably not publishible in the its present form, but who knows what you may eventually do with it.

Lynette
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:04:32 PM by Lynette »

Kat

• Hack
« Reply #287 on: June 02, 2009, 04:44:13 PM »

Great Idea!

The basic story is good and the MC is memorable-- the writing is ... :-\. I might just use it in its present form as a too wordy synopsis.  ;D

elizabethp

• Cub
Hi from an oldie
« Reply #288 on: June 04, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »

I used to post year five--six years ago--learned a lot and loved the support. I was working on historical mystery novels. Put them away after a while when I got tired of the "getting published" game. I focused instead on consulting and business writing. I have articles printed regularly in business newspapers (including a credit in the Boston Globe) and I also write corporate communications for my main client right now.
My husband and I have written several screenplays together and are working on the great agent hunt. Ugh. Recently I pulled out my novels and thought I'd give them another spin. Had my first bad experience already. See pub. post.
We moved to the South from NE and are loving it so far.

Kat

• Hack
« Reply #289 on: June 04, 2009, 09:52:08 PM »

Glad to have you with us! I read the bad experience story and commented over there but just wanted to say welcome.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #290 on: June 05, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »

Glad to have you with us Kat. Best wishes with your current WIP  :D

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #291 on: June 05, 2009, 10:49:08 AM »

Welcome back, Lizzie! 

Kat

• Hack
« Reply #292 on: June 05, 2009, 10:50:06 AM »

Thank you, Elena! It's great to be a part of this board!

capanarius medievalist

• Cub
« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2009, 01:04:12 AM »

Greetings, I'm Sam, a medievalist making my first, tentative foray from the world of academia to the world of mystery writing.

My mystery reading list includes: Susanna Gregory, The Medieval Murderers, Margaret Frazer, Michael Jecks, Candace Robb, Bernard Knight, and CJ Sansom (just to name a few), though I am always on the lookout for new writers. (This may be heresy, but I also enjoy historical fiction and some fantasy.)

I've interests in the history, politics, theology, military, religion, monarchy, and society of England generally, and particularly from the Saxon invasions through the Restoration.

Though this ‘brave new world’ is intimidating, I’m taking the advice of joining a community/forum of writers and finally setting my ideas to paper.
socius criminis (a partner in crime)

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #294 on: June 15, 2009, 11:01:43 AM »

Welcome Sam, I'm looking forward to your posts. Mystery writing is great fun, but then I may be biased  :D
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #295 on: June 15, 2009, 11:26:12 AM »

Welcome to the group. We have all types of mystery writers here so your interest will fit in just fine. Jump in with your posts and you'll find MWF to be a friendly and helpful place.

Lynette

capanarius medievalist

• Cub
« Reply #296 on: June 15, 2009, 05:29:25 PM »

Many thanks, Elena and Lynette. :) I'm still getting the knack of navigating and posting, though I'm quite glad to discuss and to contribute.
socius criminis (a partner in crime)

Kat

• Hack
« Reply #297 on: June 15, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »

Welcome, so far I have found this to be a great place to hang out. Kat

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #298 on: June 16, 2009, 07:30:14 AM »

Welcome, Sam!  You'll find great information in the older posts here, and plenty of encouragement and support as you write your mystery.  Make yourself at home.  :)

Donna

mysterywriter73

• Cub
« Reply #299 on: June 20, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »

Yo all -

I'm Mary Ann from Tucson, Arizona. I belong to the Arizona Mystery Writers and to the Society of Southwestern Authors. I've been writing what I thought was a mystery, which mysteriously morphed into suspense, for about 4 years.  :o

It's only midway from being completed because a children's book distracted me (hoping to get that published soon), followed by a novella dealing with revenge in the southwest in 1875.

Maybe my "mystery" is to figure out when I'll finish my suspense novel. My background lies in the legal profession (this side of the bar).  I'm glad I found y'all.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal