Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 54
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192398 times)

Abbs

• Cub
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #315 on: February 14, 2010, 07:53:41 AM »

Hello people - I'm in Wales at the moment but have lived in London and Liverpool for large chunks of time. Was pointed here from Mark Billingham's site, btw. I'm impressed by the global spread of members here, and look forward to hearing diverse views.

I was a journalist and have some non-fiction books published, but I'm trying to finish off my first novel - getting to the end of the second draft but really struggling with the first chapter now that the rest is written. I'm sure you know what I mean - searching for the irresistible hook, the powerful first line... Also need to work out what sub-genre it's in. I see there's lots of advice and debate about this on the forum so will work my way through threads and try not to ask too many idiot questions. Is it just me, or does anyone else get a bit overwhelmed by the odds against finding an agent, let alone a publisher, let alone readers who buy unknown authors? Will be good to have a bolthole full of like-minded writers to chat to. Look forward to getting to know you all.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #316 on: February 14, 2010, 09:44:15 AM »

Hi Abbs,

And a big warm welcome. Glad you found us.

Congratulations on getting the first draft of your novel done - a huge accomplishment!

The only thing I know to do about the overwhelming odds is to just keep going, one step at a time. Lot's of thoughts here about every stage. And feel free to ask questions.

Elena   
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #317 on: February 14, 2010, 04:02:46 PM »

Hi Abbs, welcome to the forum!   ;D
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

NCwritergal

• Cub
« Reply #318 on: March 17, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »

Greetings.  I'm new to mystery/thriller/suspense writing, though I do have a couple of finished horror/drama screenplays I am trying to sell.  I've got into the genre with medical thrillers by Robin Cook, though at that time my main interest was horror.  I am now more into mystery/thriller novels than horror, and I have just started work on my very first thriller.  I enjoy books by such authors as Mary Higgins Clark, Joy Fielding, Jonathan Kellerman (whom I recently discovered via my local Edward McKay bookstore), Tess Gerritsen, Michael Connelly, among others, though I do still enjoy Dean Koontz and John Saul.  Ciao!

janbab44

• Cub
« Reply #319 on: April 07, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »

I'm Janet, a mystery writer.  I've had one book published, SQS MYstery #1: Shadows in the Night, available on-line at Barnes & Noble, Target, etc.  It was published by PublishAmerica in late 2008.  I'm currently working on a sequel.  I live in Poplarville, Mississippi, and work as a legal secretary in Picayune, Mississippi.  I have been married 46 years and getting ready to retire at the end of this year.

calggal

• Cub
« Reply #320 on: April 19, 2010, 09:31:06 PM »

Hi I'm calggal from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  I write short fiction, and I have an outline for my first mystery novel, but everytime I get it on the computer I get a virus and end up losing everything.  This has happend to me 3 times,  >:(so hopefully my new virus software holds up.  Right now I'm reading The Little Death by P.J. Parrish and next will be Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. :)

catwoman

• Cub
« Reply #321 on: April 21, 2010, 03:44:43 PM »

Hi Everyone!  I am a lifelong mystery reader and wannabe mystery writer.  Right now, I am reading 'Permed to Death' by Nancy Cohen.  I go back and forth between "serious" mysteries and "cozy" mysteries.  I am thinking of trying to write a cozy, though.  I just need a little motivation and a lot of inspiration!  ;D

mgerrard

• Cub
« Reply #322 on: April 25, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »

Thanks for the welcome, Bob. I'm Mike and live half the time in Arizona, half in England. I'm a travel writer for a living, but have just finished my first crime novel (writing one, that is, not reading one), and am on the long search for an agent. A friend recommended this forum to me, so I'm still trying to navigate around it.

Abby

• Cub
« Reply #323 on: May 17, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »

Hello,
My name is Abby. I've written one mystery and am now working on a new suspense mystery. I found this forum in hopes of learning and sharing. I've been writing for about twenty years, I started with short stories. Great to be here.

Abby ;)

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #324 on: May 17, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »

Welcome aboard, Abby:  I think you'll like this forum.  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here.  I like your attitude, too...learning and sharing.  That's why we are all here.  ;D

Old Bill

JMaschino

• Cub
« Reply #325 on: May 18, 2010, 09:51:25 PM »

Hello everyone.  My name is Jake, I live in a very small Maine town.  I am a disabled Gulf War vet with a lot of time on my hands.  I have written two mystery novels, collecting dozens of rejection slips on each, and am currently at work on number three.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #326 on: May 19, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »

Welcome, Jake.

Sorry to hear about your disability.  You have my utmost gratitude and respect for your service.  I hope you are coping well and do well with your writing.

This is a good forum to kick around ideas and get help from lots of experienced folks.  Just out of curiosity, were the rejection letters helpful?  Did any of them offer advice or just use a form letter?  How are you going to adapt mystery three based on what your reviews were on mysteries 1&2?

Old Bill

JMaschino

• Cub
« Reply #327 on: May 19, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »

Old Bill, the rejection letters were just your typical form letter, no advice nor any indication that the material I sent was even read.  Before beginning mystery novel #3, I reread dozens of novels from my favorite mystery writers taking detailed notes on how they crafted their work, red herrings, clues, the roller coaster ride of suspense, and their skill that kept me turning page after page until I had reached the end.  I then sat down and wrote a detailed outline hopefully using some of the elements I discovered from my heroes.  Mystery #3 may receive as many rejections as the first two, but it is better written and I hope any rejections will be accompanied with some advice.  I decided to join this forum with the hopes of improving my craft and meeting other writers.  Thanks for the kind words about my years serving in the Army.  As I tell anyone who asks, I was simply doing my job, and zigged when I should have zagged.

Jake

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #328 on: May 19, 2010, 05:27:02 PM »

Jake:

Sounds like you have a good plan in place to improve mystery #3.  Good luck.

As for agents...I think in these modern times a "thanks, no thanks" response shows little or no respect to budding, prospective, wanna-be writers.  I realize they are swamped with queries and manuscripts, but we jump through hoops to abide by their arbitrary submission rules, the least they could do is jot a hand note back even if it's only a "don't give up your day job just yet."  After all, that is their job, is it not?  Brutal honesty is apparently not one of their attributes.

Sorry, I could go on but that's only because of my mood today...better get back on my meds now.

Old Bill
Spec 5, Army Signal Corps

zahachta

• Cub
« Reply #329 on: May 21, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »

Hi I'm Nicole Dahl & I'm finally feeling ready to write. :) I'm a little shy, so I'll probably lurk around a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal