Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 144
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192369 times)

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2006, 05:24:48 PM »

Donna Parker, born a Missouri hillbilly, now living in Alabama.  Not related to Ingrid, which is too bad--from my point of view, anyway.  I've been married for going on 36 years and we have two adult sons.  I've been with MWF a long time, although I can't pinpoint the exact year.  I have three books published now--with very small presses, but published.  The last one was just released Sunday (Woohoo! ;D).  The first two are mysteries and the folks here deserve a good bit of the credit because they answered countless questions and let me look in on their publishing lives to gain inspiration.  Thanks, everybody! I'm so happy and grateful to Bob that we have this nice new home.

Hey, Donna!  Congrats on the books and much good luck!

Ingrid

Michele Viney

• Hack
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2006, 04:59:24 AM »

Hi All

I was just wondering if there was anyone from this side of The Pond - Ireland, UK. Everyone seems to be from USA, apart from Andy A, but Andy you moved to New Zealand and that's even further away! I'm really jealous of all you MWFer's who can meet up in reality!

Michele
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2006, 08:53:53 AM »

I like Ingrid's idea of having a separate thread for books we are reading and want to discuss.  Maybe we can call it 'bookmarks' or something like that.  It would be a good resource to 'check out' when we are wondering what to read next.

Susan

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2006, 12:13:09 PM »

Michele,

I'm several two or three generations removed from the Aulde Sod (depending on which grandparent you count back from), but I've still got a passel of cousins and great-aunts and such in both Ireland and England.

Plus, I'm in CWA.  So, though I'm not usually there physically, I've been over there before, and no doubt will be again.

JIM DOHERTY

Leon

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2006, 12:48:48 PM »

I think I was with MWF from almost the begining.

To decsribing myself as a writer ---
I won 3rd place in a JR. College contest.

If members familiar with my posts on MWF would like, feel free to offer your opinons about the value of my posts on MWF. Perhaps then I would be described more accurately than I could ever describe myself.

Best wishes to you and yours for a successful career.

Leon

CarolG.

• Scribbler
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2006, 05:29:37 PM »

I like Ingrid's idea of having a separate thread for books we are reading and want to discuss.  Maybe we can call it 'bookmarks' or something like that.  It would be a good resource to 'check out' when we are wondering what to read next.

I like that idea too! Maybe we could also use that forum for a reading group of sorts? (Like... decide on a book to read and then chat about it?)

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2006, 05:47:32 PM »

re reading group:  experience has shown that people don't all want to read the same book. I'd like to see people share: a) books they recommend; b) reactions to recent books by best selling mystery authors; c) discussions of literary devices in mysteries that either work well or don't work well; d) trends.

Ingrid

linda

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2006, 04:24:03 PM »

Hi,

"Linda1633," logging in to the new site.  I actually get to drop the '1633' here and become known as "Linda."  I like that. 

And I'm still trying to figure out everything on this site also. (I have NO idea what these buttons are for.) 

I've been a member of the MWF site for 3 years now.  Like Jim, I'm a police officer and have been for over 27 years now.  I work for a large Texas city and have been writing for my entire life.  Albeit, sporadically at times.   

Thanks to MWF I'm getting serious about my writing.  I'm working on a novel and writing an occasional short story.  Nothing published yet, but with the help you can find on the MWF site, how can I miss?

Linda

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2006, 06:53:12 PM »

27 years, Linda!

You sure didn't sound that old when we talked on the phone.

Jane B.

• Wordsmith
  • MWF Old-Timer
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2006, 10:55:21 AM »

I'm Jane B. (not to be confused with Jane Berman). I can't remember the other Jane with a different last initial who caused me to begin signing with the "B." back in 1998 when I first joined MWF, but I've always used that moniker here, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

I'm middle 50's, married to my college sweetheart for 30+ years, 3 grown kids, 1 granddaughter, 2 dogs. Over the years, I've started 4 mystery novels, finished 0. I help operate a family business (a baseball academy, of all things) in southern New Jersey, and babysit my 3-yr-old granddaughter a few days a week. I would have to say I'm not a serious writer, because I don't kill myself to find time to write when I'm busy, but I would seriously like to finish a novel before I shuffle off.

I discovered MWF soon after I first dialed up to the internet. I'm a tad reclusive, so I've never wanted to join a writing group in person, but I thought there must be other writers like me in the world who would enjoy the anonymous(-*ish*) association with colleagues that only the internet could provide. I was right. There are tons of them. I tried a few on for size (eh), but when I found MWF, I knew I was home.

Jane B.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 10:58:50 AM by Jane B. »

Charles King

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • The Mysterious Writ
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2006, 11:38:07 AM »

This might be a non-starter, but besides a Book Thread, maybe a Tv/Movie one as well? Has anyone noticed the explosion of crime related dramas hitting the screens these days: Smith, The Wire, etc. ... Reading highlights this year, for me: California Girl, and Kingdom Of Shadows. I wish I had more time to read for pleasure--Hmm? maybe if I watched fewer crime dramas-- Nah!

Charles  8)
A writer must teach himself that the basest of all things is to be afraid.

William Faulkner

linda

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2006, 12:28:05 PM »

Awww, Jim, thank you!  (If I knew which one of these smilies was blushing, I'd put it here.)

It's probably from hanging around all these young rookies who keep me young. 

I just can't bring myself to give up patrol completely yet, so I still get out on the street with the guys from time to time.   However, I have learned to point at fleeing 17 year old felons with 6 foot long legs and say "fetch" to the officers I'm with.   ;)  I usually catch up by the time they've made the initial tackle.

Thank you,

Linda

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »

Welcome. Linda!  Don't be a stranger.  We love our police officers.

And I have 4 karmas!  Thank you, thank you!  I blush!  (I was really teasing).

Nothing much new:  the big fat novel came back with a request for a few revisions. Fortunately it seems to please overall.  And it looks as though Kirkus will review BLACK ARROW next week.  I mention this because they didn't review my last book and I thought I had slipped into the outer darkness of book reviewing.  :)
And I have been told (by my agent) to do something with Amazon Shorts.  Hmm.

Ingrid

Karen1

• Scribbler
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2006, 09:45:13 AM »

I hope I'm posting correctly.  I'm  glad to hear (and see) the MWF voices I've come to love.  Moving isn't nearly as sad when you get to bring along the neighborhood!

Thanks, Bob.

Karen

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2006, 02:13:55 PM »

I'm Jane B. (not to be confused with Jane Berman). I can't remember the other Jane with a different last initial who caused me to begin signing with the "B." back in 1998 when I first joined MWF, but I've always used that moniker here, so I guess I'm stuck with it.

Jane B.

That'll be Jane Rubino, or something similar, I think.

Penny
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal