Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 27
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192990 times)

Jane B.

• Wordsmith
  • MWF Old-Timer
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2006, 01:46:08 PM »

::)

I haven't given up writing, and although it may be awhile before I post much or even feel like writing, this new incarnation of the forum has given me encouragement and the hope I'll be writing again soon.  I'm glad to see a lot of the old crew still at it and having success, and wish the newer members the best.

Anthony H. Stewart

Hey, Tony, welcome back! How horrid. I'll be this gang can keep your spirits up. You should stick around.

Jane B.

Jane B.

• Wordsmith
  • MWF Old-Timer
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2006, 01:52:07 PM »

I've figured out how to mark "all read", but when I come back I still have a hard time figuring out what I have and haven't read. I did read the post about clicking at the top to show unread posts since last visit. That's helpful. Does it only show the unread posts in the thread or just threads I haven't read? 

Brenda, I found if you just click on the forum (like Chat), it will bring up a list of threads and next to the number of messages is a button that says NEW. If you click on that, you get the messages posted in the thread since the last time you visited. This works better for me than clicking on "New messages since you last visited" on the welcome page, as that gives you a hodgepodge of messages in no particular order. And just ignore the bells and whistles. I do.

Jane B.

lschu

• Cub
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2006, 03:44:06 PM »

I am the author of DEAD AT THE DESK which was published by DryBones a couple of years ago. The publisher died and the company no longer exists. I've also published TO CATCH THE SNOWFLAKES: a memoir of a polio survivor, a teacher, an adoptive parent, a principal, and the faither of an addict...and WILLIE McGUIRE AND THE LAND OF THE PEOPLE, a young readers fantasy novel. Those two were published by PublishAmerica...and BTW I'm very pleased with PublishAmerica. I'm a retired high school principal...retired because of post polio syndrome...and an adjunct instructor at the local community college...and I love teaching there. I live in Council Bluffs, IA...across the river from Omaha, NE. I am on the local community theatre board, the library board, and the department of corrections board. I am married...to the same woman for over 40 years...and have two adult children...a daughter who teaches English in a Kansas City suburb and who spent this summer studying at Oxford University and is now working on her Ph.D....and a son who recently received two degrees from Mt. Marty College in Yankton, SD...and is about to be released from Yankton Federal Prison Camp. We are so proud of both those kids!

Jane B.

• Wordsmith
  • MWF Old-Timer
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2006, 03:56:02 PM »

Welcome! We like to know people's names here--we're different from the usual anonymous web forum. More like a support group. Can you at least make one up and sign your posts with it, so we can remember who we're talking to? Oh, and I don't know the answer to your publishing question, but I'm sure someone here will give you great advice. Hope you stick around--I think you'll like it.

Jane B.

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2006, 05:40:47 PM »

Welcome, Ischu.  You've found a very cool place to hang out.

Susan

lschu

• Cub
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2006, 10:13:18 PM »

My name is Larry. Really it's Lawrence...but only my mother has ever called me by that name.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2006, 11:09:29 PM »

Hi all,

It's been quite a few years since I've been active, so a big thanks to Bob for going so far back to notify people of the change.  In a nutshell, spent my first 30 years in Chicago, second 30 in Atlanta, and am now retired in Madison WI.  Last known profession college professor computer science, publications many except for fiction which I do basically to entertain myself.  Currently am working on a very adult alphabet book about my mother ala Edward Gorey.  Hard to explain more about my job history other than the last time I looked my complete resume is ten pages long.

Good to see so many familiar names and am looking forward to reading about everybody's adventures and sharing anything that might be useful.
Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2006, 06:59:26 AM »

Welcome back, Elena!

scotfiddle

• Cub
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2006, 02:45:11 PM »

Hey, 
I'm Karen from Hoover, Alabama.  Donna Parker told me about this site weeks ago and I'm just now getting the time to stop in and say hello.

I'm working on a amatuer detective story, tho some who have looked at it call it a cozy because it has a ghost.  The first few chapters went pretty quickly, but I've been stuck in the middle for a couple of months now and it's been getting harder to find the time and energy to write. 

Looks like there's a lot of encouragement and good advice on this site.  I'll try to check in more often!

Karen 

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2006, 03:01:05 PM »

Karen!  Cead mile failte!  Never mind.  That's about all I remember of that beautiful language, and I never have figured out how to type accents on this board.

Anyway, I saw the "scotfiddle" and had a feeling that might be you.  So glad you made it over!  You'll probably soon be as addicted to this place as the rest of us are. ;D  If you have any writing questions, ask away.  The amount of knowledge represented here is amazing.

donna

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2006, 01:20:47 PM »

Welcome, Karen!

This is a wonderful place to get unstuck in...

Penny

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2006, 02:16:16 PM »

Welcome, Karen! This is a great site for motivation.

And Elena, it's so good to see you back! Are you still immersed in your art?

Kathy W.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2006, 06:54:54 PM »

Hi Kathy,

It's good to be back, and to catch up on everyones doings.  Funny you asked about my art work - I just finished warping my tapestry loom.  It was a soothing thing to do while trying to think about getting a lap top - maybe I can weave with one hand and write with the other.  One stop chaos, tangle my words and my yarn - in one easy pass!

Hope all is well with you,
Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

scotfiddle

• Cub
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2006, 06:13:40 PM »

Hey Donna,

Tapadh leat! I don't remember much Gaelic either. I've been browsing around and it looks like a wonderful forum, thanks for telling me about it. 

This is probably a stupid question( and if the answer is elsewhere on the Forum, let me know and I'll go there), but what is the 'position' and 'karma' all about.  I noticed that I'm a 'cub' presumably because I've just joined.  Is 'karma' about how many books you have published?  That would be good karma!

Karen
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 06:25:29 PM by scotfiddle »

Golden

• Expositor
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2006, 09:13:13 PM »

Ingrid,

I clicked "smite" and then "applaud". I haven't a clue what it's for. Hope it didn't increase the "karma".
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal