Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 89
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192288 times)

MysteryAdmin

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Global Moderator
  • Cub
The Welcome Wagon Thread
« on: October 04, 2006, 05:48:43 PM »

Everyone (new and not-so-new) pop in here and say hello, and tell us something about yourself: who you are, where you are, what you've written, and what you're reading.

Also, if you're coming over from the Zott site, please send me a PM with your name there (if you're not using the same name). I'll copy your post count over from there. It's not really important in overall scheme of life, but those of you who have contributed there should have your stature commended in some way here.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 05:58:42 PM by MysteryAdmin »
--
Bob Mueller

CathyJ

• Hack
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 09:22:14 PM »

I'm Cathy in Missouri, I'm struggling with writing a cozy, and right now I'm reading The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters (also something I'm struggling with; if it were a library book, it would have gone back by now, but since I bought the hardcover, I'll probably finish it).

AndyA

• Scribbler
    • The Andersons in NZ
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 10:08:09 PM »

Hi I'm Andy from Wellington, New Zealand, signing up on the new 'ship' for a fresh voyage of discovery...(Lots of buttons to try!!..)

AndyA.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 01:00:15 AM by AndyA »

MysteryAdmin

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Global Moderator
  • Cub
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 10:59:13 PM »

Just thought I'd mention that Bob Mueller =  MysteryAdmin. I'm not sure which persona I'm going to use more often on the site. For now, if you need something administrative, go to MysteryAdmin.
--
Bob Mueller

Caro

• Wordsmith
    • Caro's Place
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:04:08 AM »

Here I come, climbing aboard the new ship, too. Bit foggy in ehre. Hope no-one changes names or anything confusing like that!

And hey, where's the spell check??

Caro
Drag Queen in the Court of Death
http://www.carosoles.com

MysteryAdmin

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Global Moderator
  • Cub
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 01:08:32 AM »

I should probably look in to the spell-check module. There is one available; just not installed.

Of course, if you're using FireFox, I recommend SpellBound.

If you're using IE, I recommend Firefox. :)

--
Bob Mueller

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 02:55:57 AM »

Hi, Bob,

Thanks again for taking this over.

I'm Jim Doherty.  I'm a policeman in a suburb north of Chicago.  Prior to that, I was an officer in a very obscure federal law enforcement agency.  Prior to that, I was an officer in an even more obscure federal law enforcement agency. Prior to that I worked my way through the latter part of college as a reserve cop in Berkeley, CA.  Prior to that, I worked my way through the early part of college as a civilian student aide for the UC Campus Police.

I've written a number of short stories, one collection of true crime articles called Just the Facts - True Tales of Cops & Criminals, a "work-for-hire" e-book for Barnes & Noble called Raymond Chandler - Master of American Noir (hey,Bob, this italicizing tool is neat!), and an unpublished novel called An Obscure Grave.  My website (actually it's not my website; my publisher just provides it for me) is here:

http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty

I'm a bit heavier at the moment, and, for the time being,  I don't have the mustache.

I've been on the old MWF site for about five years.  I'll be checking in at both places until the old site closes down for good.

Hey, Bob, where's "Police Procedures?"

JIM DOHERTY

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 01:36:03 PM by JIM DOHERTY »

MysteryAdmin

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Global Moderator
  • Cub
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 03:12:42 AM »

Hey, Bob, where's "Police Procedures?"

JIM DOHERTY

Here, under "Life and Death."

--
Bob Mueller

Jonathon

• Wordsmith
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 04:39:12 AM »

Hi, Jon here, from Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I have no problem getting ideas or coming up with character names, but I tend to lose interest around the middle of a book and start a new one.  Something I hope to conquer.

Michele Viney

• Hack
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 04:59:48 AM »

Hi Michele from Dublin here aka Nutmeg. I work in the film and television industry in production -  the nitty gritty bit not the glamorous bit. Was an Arts Journalist for eight years and I have finally bit the bullet (sorry awful pun!) and started to write a crime novel - at the moment it is leading me around by the nose so goodness knows where I will end up! Only recently joined MWF's old site so I really am a newbie. Many Many thanks to Bob for saving the site, after I only just found the perfect source of info and support I was glad that I did not have to lose it. It looks pretty cool too considering how new it is - I'm with Andy - lots of buttons to try ;D.
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre

Kathleen Taylor

• Wordsmith
  • Kathi
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 06:40:35 AM »

I'm Kathi (aka Kathleen Taylor). I joined MWF just about the day it was founded and am so glad that Bob is taking over. I hope we don't drive him crazy.

I sold my first magazine article in 1980, and have managed to stay published in one way or another since then. I'm not writing fiction at the moment, but I did write 6 mysteries (all OP now), and 1 mainstream novel (that I still hope will be published). In the last 5 years, I've written 2 knitting books and am on the downhill slide on the 3rd. I might go back to fiction someday, but at the moment, I'm very happy with the needles.

I'll be 54 very soon, have been married since my teens, have 2 grown sons and 3 amazing grandchildren (who will be very shocked when they grow up and read the books their Gramma wrote), and I live in South Dakota.

Kathi    ;D

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 07:29:40 AM »

Hi, I'm Kathy W. (not to be confused with Kathi or Cathy or Kathie Hills who will probably arrive soon). I joined the old MWF in 1998, shortly after I stumbled onto the internet, and don't know where I'd be without it. I've watched many online friends conceive stories, write, rewrite, place and win in contests, get agents, get published -- and hope to follow them.

As for me, I'm an ex-chemist, at-home mom for many years with a college freshman son, a middle-school daughter, and an attorney husband. I'm in my early fifties and have lived in Wisconsin all my life. My current WIP is a cozy mystery set in Wisconsin with a suburban mom amateur sleuth -- chosen to keep me from getting sidetracked doing research. I also completed a light romantic suspense which finaled in the Daphne du Maurier contest, and which  I sent around to agents for a year or so. but no luck.

A gazillion thanks, Bob, for this new site! I'm still poking around in the corners, but it looks great.

Kathy W.

ArlineChase

• Wordsmith
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 08:00:45 AM »

Hi,

I'm Arline Chase. Have been around the forum since 1998 or thereabouts. I have been a writer, writing teacher, and journalist for more than 25 years. When my publisher became ill, I became a publisher, too. Quite a challenge.  ;D  Folks who want to know more about my writing can visit my website at http://www.arlinechase.com . Folks interested in the publishing part can check out my ebooks site, http://www.ebooksonthe.net or my paper books siite http://www.cambridgebooks.us.

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 08:16:03 AM »

Hi, All

Dave the pharmacist here.  Like another MWF, I posted under testing.  I'll get the hang of this soon.

I have the first book of a series at a publisher and I'm hoping he'll be demented enough to buy it.  I'm also working on two stand-alones right now.

Dave

Debbie Matthews

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Deborah Matthews - Romance Author
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 08:17:46 AM »

I'm Debbie Matthews and have been around MWF since '99.  I'm published in historical romance.

Right now I'm reading "The Girl with a Pearl Earring".  I saw the movie.  Hey, I love Colin Firth!  But hated the movie's ending.  I hate movies that end leaving questions.

I'd been away from MWF a few days when I logged on and saw Lauri's note.  Talk about shocked!  Again, Bob, thanks for taking this on.
Debbie
"Do or do not.  There is no try."-Yoda
---------------------
Deborah Matthews
winner of the 2002 National Reader's Choice Awards
http://deborahmatthews.net
http://shoutlife.com/deborahbriscoe
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal