Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192299 times)

Q

• Cub
    • Mostly by Knight
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2008, 08:23:10 AM »

Good evening. Greetings all! I'm Peter Knight (behind the cryptic 'Q') and am currently in ...Aaargh! - Well, Argentina actually. I been a mystery fan as long as I can remember. As a writer I've worked for some obscure newspapers (my own by-line in one on armed conflict 'Legitima Defensa' Jorge Frank Ed. , Buenos Aires, for about six years); as well as fiddling with short stories and an ongoing novel, working title Tales of Chestamovarado. Last years NaNoWriMo I finished the 50 K words, The Danzig Daughters with a great beginning and a fine ending and about 49,000 words in between . In general, a long way to go :-\

So I'm glad to have found this board, get to know how it's really done and bring my tuppence  worth ($0.007 at the old vlaues ;D
Or whatever I can...

:)Q (aka Peter)

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2008, 03:29:37 PM »

Welcome, Peter.  It's been quiet here lately, but the archives are worth reading.   :D  Even when it's quiet, this is a supportive and helpful group, and if you have questions on any topic, somebody here almost always can and will answer them.

Donna

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2008, 04:06:08 PM »

Hi Peter!

Welcome to the forum.

;D Peg H
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

Q

• Cub
    • Mostly by Knight
« Reply #228 on: April 13, 2008, 04:31:36 PM »

;D
Thank you Donna and Peg. For being 'quiet' to two welcomes already!

I've been a member of the StoryCrafter forum where Jean Lauzier (I notice she is already here) aimed me in this direction and looking over the archives, there is indeed a lot of good stuff.

:) Q

PS I see Donna, that you've begun a web-log (I guess we just have to accept the word 'blog' someday) with  WordPress just about the same time as I did - an elegant layout and nice theme and your content is wonderful. I can't say the same alas, the setup is wrong and it's a bit aimless for now. 

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #229 on: April 14, 2008, 09:32:20 AM »

Welcome Q, glad Jean steered you in our direction.

Looking forward to your posts.  "Q" certainly puts me in the spirit of mysterious doings!

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #230 on: April 14, 2008, 02:05:13 PM »

Thank you for the kind words!  We'll look forward to reading yours when it's ready.  :)
Donna

Ryan

• Cub
« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »

Thanks, Peg and Elena,

Yes, just a short break from the diss, Elena. I'm drafting the conclusion now...almost there.

I'm getting a PhD in Technical Communication and Rhetoric, which roughly translates to a degree in researching professional communication standards. My dissertation is a quantitative study – it explores the effects of an instructional mode that explicates a genre's formal features compared to an instructional mode that does not emphasize form (the norm in introductory tech writing classes).

I also do a lot of consulting work. Right now, I'm in year three of an editing contract with the Texas Army National Guard. This May, I start a job with a Health Sciences Center, editing and teaching seminars on grant writing.

Looking forward to reading more of the MWF archives. It's been quiet here lately.

Okay...back to the diss.

-Ryan

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2008, 04:16:39 PM »

Oh, dear.  I didn't read back far enough yesterday.  A belated welcome to Ricky and Kimsmith, and welcome back, Ryan.    We're glad to have all of you!

seanachi

• Cub
    • A Field of Paper Flowers
« Reply #233 on: May 19, 2008, 02:07:43 PM »

I'm Kathleen in Mississippi.  I'm an as-yet-unpublished romantic suspense writer.  I read widely across several genres--some of my latest reads: Maddy Hunter's Top O' The Mournin', Karen Marie Moning's Darkfever, Katie MacAlister's Playing With Fire, Nora Roberts' The Hollow, Lee Child's Running Blind, and I'm presently working on Marcia Talley's Sing It To Her Bones, Stephen White's The Program, and Riddley Pearson's Cut and Run. My current WIP centers around the witness protection program.
T.E. Lawrence:  All people dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recess of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are the dangerous people, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #234 on: May 19, 2008, 02:50:10 PM »

Love your sign-in name, Kathleen.  It's what we all are or want to be.  In light of that, cead mile failte!  (I can't make the necessary accents on those words, but welcome, anyway.)  Somebody here is sure to have an answer to your question.  This place is a vast store of knowledge.  We're glad to have you.

All the best with your WIP!
Donna

Kelly K.

• Cub
« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2008, 07:07:21 PM »

Hi.  I'm Kelly.  I was a member of MWF way back when, on the Zott board.  Life interferred with my writing, and I've had a hard time getting back to it, but I've joined a newly-formed writers group locally, and after today's meeting I feel enthusiastic about writing again, and that feels good.  I've seen some names I recognize from before, which is nice :)  I had to do a little looking to find you all again, but I'm glad I did.

I'm not published as a mystery writer, but hopefully that's not a permanent condition.  I got some good feedback on my chapter one today, which gave me some ideas I want to work on.   The work-in-progress is a mystery-romance.  Even though it's been two or three years since I've worked on it, I still like what I've done and planned so far, so I take that as a good sign.

I'm looking forward to catching up with things on this forum.

-- Kelly

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2008, 08:43:39 PM »

Welcome back, Kelly.  It's slow around here.  Maybe you can help pep us up.   :)

Kelly K.

• Cub
« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »

Thanks, Donna.

I did read Constancy's Waltz before and enjoyed it very much (my mother being from the Missouri Ozarks and my having spent much of my childhood there).  I'm sorry the second is out of print, but am looking forward to reading the third one.  ;-)

-- Kelly

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #238 on: June 15, 2008, 07:25:52 AM »

Kelly, great to see you back and writing! And yes, we definitely need some more energy around here.

Kathy W.

Kelly K.

• Cub
« Reply #239 on: June 15, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »

Thanks, Kathy W.

When I first logged on yesterday, I was a little overwhelmed by the new look of the site (which I do like and am already getting used to  :)) and the number of threads (after two or three years, they were all new).  Once I paid closer attention, I did notice that a lot of them were kind of old. 

I don't know about pep or energy, but right now, at least, i've got a lot of enthusiasm.  It is great to be back.

-- Kelly
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal