Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 60
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192400 times)

cambric

• Cub
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #270 on: April 11, 2009, 10:05:19 AM »

Hello,

My name is Bob, I'm 43 yrs old, father of 3 and I live in Michigan.

I've been in love with writing for 25+ years, though it's taken me a long time to actually understand 'how' to write well.  I am working on my first full mystery novel; I've written two unbelievably horrible books...at the time, I thought they were decent, actually quite good...then I went to college and took up writing and reread my stories and was horrified at the pathetic grammar, 'telling' instead of 'showing', etc...

Live and learn!  I've read a lot of advice from other authors on this site and am impressed.  I've been working on this mystery novel since last August or so, and thanks to some great advice on this site, I've changed it up a bit and gotten 5 redone chapters.

I hope to keep learning and finishing this book by the end of this year.

Bob

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #271 on: April 11, 2009, 01:21:01 PM »

Welcome, Dee!  I don't think we've had a... well, I started to say a comic mystery writer, but maybe we have had a few of those.  Let me say a writer of mystery comics.   ;D  Good to meet you, too.  Hope you will enjoy the site.  Lots of good mystery writing info in the various threads.

Donna

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #272 on: April 11, 2009, 01:27:29 PM »

Welcome, Bob!  It's great that this forum has been helpful to you.  We have some wise and talented people here.  We used to be more active, but there's still a lot of good advice posted.

All the best on your work-in-progress!

Donna

meunier

• Cub
« Reply #273 on: May 12, 2009, 08:16:53 PM »

Hi,

I'm Randall Meunier.  I just published my first book and I'm working on the second.  My first, "The Pepperell Connection" is set in guess where?  Pepperell Mass.   The book took five years off and on to complete.  There were many times I didn't think I'd finish it.   I've only just begun my second and I don't know if finishing the first inspired me but I'm covering a lot more territory in a shorter time frame.   I just joined the site and it looks like a great place to gather ideas and keep the interest fresh.  My web site is www.randallmeunier.com.  Visit and drop me a line.

mysterygirl

• Cub
« Reply #274 on: May 21, 2009, 10:04:02 PM »

Greetings - I just joined the forum.  I am an avid reader of mysteries and have thought about writing for a long time.  I do write as part of my job (lawyer) but that style of writing tends to wither creativity.  I hope that by joining forum I will become inspired to do more than just think about possible story lines! :)

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #275 on: May 22, 2009, 12:12:13 PM »

Greetings - I just joined the forum.  I am an avid reader of mysteries and have thought about writing for a long time.  I do write as part of my job (lawyer) but that style of writing tends to wither creativity.  I hope that by joining forum I will become inspired to do more than just think about possible story lines! :)
Ah - a lawyer. You'll come in handy for folks, I'm sure. Welcome! What's your specialty?
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #276 on: May 22, 2009, 01:32:53 PM »

Welcome to the forum. If any group can inspire you to wirte, MWF can.

Lynette

mysterygirl

• Cub
« Reply #277 on: May 22, 2009, 09:33:58 PM »

I work for the Department of Homeland Security.

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #278 on: May 23, 2009, 09:18:18 AM »

MG,

Re your comment below:

I work for the Department of Homeland Security.

Ah!  A fed.  I used to work for an agency that is now part of DHS. 

Welcome aboard.

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #279 on: May 23, 2009, 10:25:38 AM »

Welcome!  We're glad to have you with us.  There are lots of good posts for inspiration, even if not too many of them are recent.   :)  Check out the "Priceless Advice" section, for instance.

Donna

TheDeeMan

• Hack
    • The Continentals
« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2009, 04:37:25 AM »

Welcome, Dee!  I don't think we've had a... well, I started to say a comic mystery writer, but maybe we have had a few of those.  Let me say a writer of mystery comics.   ;D  Good to meet you, too.  Hope you will enjoy the site.  Lots of good mystery writing info in the various threads.

Donna

Yeah Donna, it is a different sort of pathway into the enre, but not unique. There are uite a few mystery/detective webcomics out there. One of my favorites is Tim Broderick's "Odd Jobs". If you're interested you can find it here:

Odd Jobs
www.webcomicsnation.com/timbroderick/oddjobsswcn/series.php

And of course my own comic "The Continentals" starts this summer. So be on the lookout for that too. :)

Dee
THE CONTINENTALS. Murder. Mystery. Intrigue. Adventure
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/continentals/series.php

TheDeeMan

• Hack
    • The Continentals
« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2009, 04:56:15 AM »

Sorry I gave the wrong url to Odd Jobs. Here's the right one:

Odd Jobs
www.webcomicsnation.com/timbroderick/oddjobswcn/series.php

Dee
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 04:57:46 AM by TheDeeMan »
THE CONTINENTALS. Murder. Mystery. Intrigue. Adventure
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/continentals/series.php

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2009, 02:53:21 PM »

Welcome Dee. Good to have a different type mystery writer here. We learn from everyone.

Lynette

Kat

• Hack
« Reply #283 on: June 02, 2009, 01:31:49 AM »

Hi, everyone, I just joined tonight because this community looks like it really cares for its members and I hope to not only learn a lot but to contribute as well. I've just begun planning a mystery/suspense novel and hope to get a lot of information from these boards. I've not written for "grownups" in the past five years.

I've been writing mostly for children and have completed two middle grade mystery novels. The latest one is "resting" for a few months after being critiqued by a great group of writers during the last year. Hopefully after a final edit it will be ready for submission rounds. The first one, well, it was a "first" children's novel and is collecting dust in the back of the file cabinet.

My very first completed novel was a grownup murder mystery and I loved writing it. I knew it was perfect and the world was waiting for it so I entered it in the St. Martin's Press contest.  :-[Oh, how naive and innocent a newbie I was back then! My cheeks flame every time I pull it out and read a chapter or two.

Hopefully, this one will be a lot better. With your help I know it will be!

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #284 on: June 02, 2009, 08:32:23 AM »

Welcome, Kat!  The forum isn't as active as it once was, but it's still a great place.  There's plenty of helpful information already on here, and if you have any questions, just ask.  Somebody will try to answer them. 
:)

All of us were newbies once, and we probably all still have those first manuscripts that make us blush now.  I call mine "Writing 101, Writing 201", etc.  Maybe they'll never be publishable, but they taught me a lot about how to write--and how not to write.

I love kids' mysteries.  Sometimes I would rather read books written for kids than those written for "adults".  ;D

Hope you will feel at home here.  All the best with your work!

Donna
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal