Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 61
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192391 times)

Angie

• Hack
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2006, 11:20:59 PM »

First - a big thanks to Bob for keeping this board going.  Very, very much appreciated.  I can't remember when I first went to MWF as a lurker (several years ago), but I've been hanging around quite a bit since early this year.  Definitely one of the best places for mystery writers around.     

Last December I quit my day job to write full time.  I'm working on two novels right now.  One is a humorous cozy, the other is a much grittier YA story.  I live in Prescott, AZ, am married, and have 2 dogs and a turtle.  I got my BA in Art & Design, and then promptly went into behavioral health (go figure).  Anyway, I worked for several years with people who have developmental disabilities and then spent several more years working with kids and families on behavioral/mental health issues.  I'm also a voice actress for Coyote Radio Theater and I have a blog thingie over at http://lazyartistslounge.blogspot.com.

It's so great to be here!

Angie

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2006, 12:34:04 PM »

I'm here, too, Thanks to Dave. Though I do (did) pop into MWF a few times over the last 2 years or so, I rarely posted.

Finished the first story but may have to go back and add blood guts and gore. Started another and work on it sporadically. Have the rough draft for about 10 chapters and don't know where to go from there.

Busy with a few other things, including dog sports (our version[slow]) of canicross and bikejoring, both started to get both of us exercise, and some training. I have 2 adult daughters and a few days ago got the word to retire.

I'm also grateful to Bob for carrying this on, and maybe I'll be around more.
Ella

Okay, what's the Karma stuff? I don't have ANY? That COULD be good, couldn't it?

Brenda B.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2006, 05:17:47 PM »

I want to know about the karma thing too. I can't keep up with this place these days. I don't have time at work, don't make time at home. I don't have time to figure out all the bells and whistles.  And what about that thing that says "smite"? What happens if you click on that? I'm afraid to for fear of offending someone. It sounds awful. The opposite seems to be "applaud." And then there are the things like "hack" and "expositor" by people's names and stars.... I thought the stars were related to the titles, but I've got five stars and I'm a word smith but someone else with 5 stars is an expositor. Someone want to translate all this for me?

I've figured out how to mark "all read", but when I come back I still have a hard time figuring out what I have and haven't read. I did read the post about clicking at the top to show unread posts since last visit. That's helpful. Does it only show the unread posts in the thread or just threads I haven't read? 

What's an avatar? I thought it was a comic creature on one of those Japanese cartoon shows my son watches sometimes.

Like I said in a post, at the old site I guess, I don't handle change well and this place is overwhelming me. I'm sure in time I'll adjust, I just need to make more time to come in and keep up. Somehow.

But thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing it Bob. I would be devastated if I couldn't come in here and wander around like a lost soul and see names and read posts from my writer friends.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 05:19:58 PM by brendab »
Purchase the Alex Masters Mystery series consisting of: Dead Birds Don't Sing, JailBird, A Bird By Any Other Name, and SwanSong at writewordsinc.com or amazon.com
"Dead Birds..." and "Jailbird" are now available in print!

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2006, 02:30:23 AM »

Hi everyone,

I'm beginning to get the hang of this place. Thanks for doing it, Bob.

I've been registered with MWF since early 2000 -- was a frequent reader for several months before that. I stumbled onto the site shortly after I first subscribed to the internet in 1998. I felt very shy about joining groups at first, but I'm glad I finally did join this one.

I live in North Carolina with a big fluffy cat named Jefferson. I have a  daughter, a nice son-in-law and two grandchildren (a boy 10 and a girl 4) who live about ten miles away. I  have been writing for many years. Mostly non-fiction for magazines with a few short stories thown in. I had 3 children's books published several years ago.  I turned to novel writing in 1999 and my first mystery was published in 2003. Since then I've had three non-fiction and a romantic suspense novels published. My next mystery is scheduled to be published in 2007. I work part-time for my son-in-law at his building company to help pay the bills.

MYF has been a part of my life for a long time and I'm truly grateful that we have been given a way to stay together. Thanks again, Bob.

Lynette

Vivian

• Wordsmith
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2006, 09:28:45 PM »

A gigantic thank-you to Kathy W. who found my husband's e-mail and got in touch with me! My name is Vivian Chern Shnaidman and I joined the original MWF probably the day it started, back in 1997. My first novel was published on Sept. 4, 2001, and everyone knows what happened a week later. I gradually drifted away from the MWF and writing for pleasure in general - agent-less, publisher-less, and contract-less, I made it through the next five years writing reports for my "day job." If I could bind them all up I'd probably fill a room. (And listen to this: One day someone was yelling at me and accused me of writing reports that "read like novels.")

Maybe an hour after my most recent fit about how I had the chance to be a real writer and I threw it away, I received Kathy's e-mail. I take this as an omen. Ironically, I tried to sign on to the Zott site a few times in the last few weeks and could not get on, even as a guest, and I thought that the MWF was over. And it's not! It's here, with so many familiar names and voices that I literally had to wipe my eyes to keep reading through the posts.

So I think I'm ready to start over. I think I'm ready to look for a new agent, try a new publisher, and maybe even a new protagonist. My book, strangely enough, is still in print (because they couldn't sell all those copies since they never sent them to the bookstores!) I would like to say that I have become a different person in the last few years, but I haven't - I'm just older, with older kids, more responsibilities, and a bit more equity in my house (thank God!) I still speak my mind and get beaten up (metaphorically speaking) over it every day; I still say what I mean and mean what I say. I'm still married to the same husband (15 years) have the same three kids (anyone remember Anonymous Pregnant Squirrels?) who are all taller now. Nobody is in preschool, nobody is in diapers, and my husband got a Ph.D. while I was away from here. I still work with the sex offenders, and I've added DYFS (division of Youth and Family Services) to my plate, with the hope that by next summer I can leave my job and be in full-time private forensic practice. What's amazing is that when I had babies I had time to write! Now they all can bathe and dress themselves, and my big son can even cook a limited repertoire, and now I barely have time to even think about writing. Oh, and Kathi! I am finally knitting something with the intention of felting it on purpose!

So thanks for having me back! I will try to be good - and feel free to send your psychiatry and criminally insane questions my way.

Love,
Vivian

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2006, 08:38:25 AM »

Vivian, I am so glad the stars aligned, and you're back on MWF! It's great to "hear" your voice again.

And for anyone new in the last 5 years or so -- Vivian's a great resource when it comes to general medical questions, as well as forensic psychology.

Kathy W.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2006, 01:41:37 PM »

Welcome back, Vivian.  I never had much of a chance to get to know you.  You sound a lot like me, and I've made my mistakes, too.  So good to have you back.  Congratulations to the Ph.D. in the family and best of luck with the writing plans.

Ingrid

Brenda B.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2006, 01:45:24 PM »

Ahhh, I feel so much better knowing Vivian is alive and well! ;D And coming back to us!!! :D :D :D ;D ;D

Welcome back Vivian, you were missed.
Purchase the Alex Masters Mystery series consisting of: Dead Birds Don't Sing, JailBird, A Bird By Any Other Name, and SwanSong at writewordsinc.com or amazon.com
"Dead Birds..." and "Jailbird" are now available in print!

Janet Koch

• Expositor
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2006, 03:56:51 PM »

Hi, Vivian -- sounds like you left MWF about the time I signed on. And it sounds like you've been living a full life without our help. Glad to have you back, though.

Good luck with getting back into writing!

Janet

Pomorzany

• Hack
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2006, 04:08:15 PM »

Welcome, all!

It's heartwarming to read everyone's stories. Beginning to feel like a community again.

Jane Berman

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2006, 12:24:31 PM »

Not having any "criminally insane questions," I'll just welcome you back to the fold.  Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

TONYh

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2006, 11:52:22 PM »

::)

The last thing I published was a short story on one of Arlene Chase's contests a few years ago (MOONCHILD).  I started writing in the early nineties, and discovered this place not too long after it started.  I posted often for a while, then financial disaster and personal problems struck. 

I'm just now recovering from prostate cancer, and the past six months have been pretty horrid.

I haven't given up writing, and although it may be awhile before I post much or even feel like writing, this new incarnation of the forum has given me encouragement and the hope I'll be writing again soon.  I'm glad to see a lot of the old crew still at it and having success, and wish the newer members the best.

Anthony H. Stewart

P.S.
It took me a while to post after I joined again, it's hard to sit more than a short period  with a catheter attached,

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2006, 05:07:28 PM »

Welcome back, Anthony. I'm sorry to hear the past years have been tough.
I hope things improve and that you recover soon.

Penny

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2006, 08:03:52 AM »

Welcome back, Anthony! Sorry to hear you've had such a tough time -- hang in there, and do hang around here, too, as much as your health permits.

Take care,

Kathy W.

Jane B.

• Wordsmith
  • MWF Old-Timer
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2006, 01:43:46 PM »

So thanks for having me back! I will try to be good - and feel free to send your psychiatry and criminally insane questions my way.

Love,
Vivian

Whew, took a bit to figure out how to shorten the quote! Hey, Vivian! Welcome back. It's great to have the criminally insane and other assorted perverts represented again! :D I'm not here all the time, anymore, but I check in sporadically. And I recently had a quick visit from The Muse, so maybe I'll be coming more often.

Jane B.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal