Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 170
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192316 times)

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #330 on: May 22, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »

Hi, Nicole,

Lurk all you want but no reason to be shy here.  Lots of friendly writers (published and unpublished) with lots of life experience to share.

What type of writiing are you interested in?

Old Bill

Colourful.Daze

• Cub
« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2010, 12:01:11 PM »

Hello! Just joined and will also lurk a bit until I get my bearings, this seems, already, to be a wonderful site. I barely had my password typed in before I got a warm welcome :)
Cheers
D.
I am interested in writing mystery & urban fantasy.

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #332 on: June 04, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »

Hey D:

Welcome...may I ask what an urban fantasy would be?  Oh, wait, would that be you wake one morning to a sunny day in a big city and your spouse has breakfast ready...while eating breakfast, you read the lotto numbers in the paper and realize you are the only winner, and your boss calls to tell you the board of directors has just promoted you to CEO...your freeloading son tells you he found a new job AND a place to live...for the first time in 5 years the dog hasn't had an accident on the kitchen floor...the garbage men actually got ALL the garbage INTO their truck AND replaced the lids on the cans...and there are no DPW crews jackhammering anywhere in your neighborhood?  (Okay...I know the garbage part kicks it up to a miracle, but am I close?)

Good luck with your writing.  ;D

Old Bill

TRU

• Cub
« Reply #333 on: July 21, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »

My name is Matthew. As far as writing goes I am a songwriter, however, I have ideas for young-adult mysteries and I thought this might be a nice place to come to "grease the wheels" and get my thoughts flowing.

Widget

• Cub
  • I live in rural Suffolk, East Anglia
« Reply #334 on: August 01, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »

I am Widget, I live with my mother, in a fourteenth century house in rural Suffolk, East Anglia[anybody been to the county in good ol'merry England? I am doing a wb course and also trying to set myself up in a business venture as a research assistant, freelance.  Yes, I like to keep busy.   I enjoy reading, creative writing obviously, listening to music, classic and light.  We have three cats, a Burmese called Lucy, a Bengal called Mystery and half Bengal called Puschkinia, shortened to Pushy or Pushkins.   :D
Fiona Johnston

Mystery Mom

• Cub
« Reply #335 on: August 02, 2010, 01:28:56 AM »

Hi, I'm Mystery Mom. I worked as a journalist for about five years before becoming a blog-at-home mom. Blogging is fun, but because I'm not the sales-y type, it doesn't exactly pay the bills. Of course I realize that mystery writing doesn't pay the bills, and will in fact probably create bills, but I don't have to leave the house to do it, and it seems a bit more ethical than pimping out my kids' privacy for affiliate commissions.  :P  (No offense to the other mom bloggers out there. I just hate you for your success, that's all!)  Anyway, I've always wanted to write mysteries and I might as well do it while I have the chance to stay at home.

I'm writing what I hope will be the first in a sort of rom-com mystery series. I spent my childhood reading Poe, Doyle and Christie along with a lot of Jane Austen and Louisa May Alcott (it might surprise you to know that the latter also wrote a whole whack of thrillers under a pseudonym). What I'm trying to do is write a really well-crafted mystery novel that also deals with the comical love life (or lack thereof) of a headstrong, contrary female protagonist. I'll admit that while I think this form of book would likely appeal to a fair-size demographic (chick-lit fans who enjoy a good mystery), I'm really just writing something I'd like to read! I've gotten most of the book outlined, although I'm still working out a few twists in my head and some of the characters need more fleshing out, and I've written about 6,000 words so far (though I'm sure they'll all change!).

I am never caught up on my reading, as I have three very young kids. I'm currently reading "Finger-Lickin' Fifteen" by good ol' Janet E., along with "The Greatest Show on Earth" by Richard Dawkins, a few random parenting books, and I am now on my third year of trying not to throw "Eat Pray Love" across the room.
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.  -- Anais Nin

ashleybsmith

• Cub
    • ASHLEY BARNETT SMITH
« Reply #336 on: August 04, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »

Hi everyone. I'm Ashley Barnett Smith and I'm a mystery novel writer. i have published two books at Lulu.com. My most recent one is titled "THE COLUMNIST'S BLOG" which my publisher gave a  very positive remark. Lulu said it is a "remarkable book." You are welcome to visit my website at: 

http://sites.google.com/site/ashleybarnettsmith/
 or the product site:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-columnists-blog/11773393

I am delighted to join you and hopefully follow your blogs everyday.

Sweetbriar

• Cub
« Reply #337 on: August 14, 2010, 03:06:14 PM »

Hi everyone!  I'm Sweetbriar.  I found Mystery Writers' Forum just yesterday.  Thought I would lurk for awhile and then decided to just jump in.  I'm unpublished and love all types of fiction....mysteries are my favorites....but I'll read the backs of cereal boxes if nothing else is around! 

I work at a radio station as Traffic Manager and would love to use it as a background for a mystery series.  That's actually what I'm working on now.

I read all kinds of mysteries and suspense, but my two favorite authors are Agatha Christie and Mary Higgins Clark.

I'll probably look around a bit before beginning to post, but you never know.

See you around the boards!

Sweetbriar

coffeelover

• Cub
« Reply #338 on: August 14, 2010, 05:33:59 PM »

Hi, I'm Susan. As you can tell by my handle I love coffee, been drinking this elixir since age five. I've always loved to write, mostly children's fantasy but love to read and watch mysteries. Originally from CA, now living in AZ in the boondocks.

Never been published and always had a hard time going past chapter five in a story unless others gave me feedback. I finally read a short book on fictional writing "Guide to Fiction Writing, Phyllis A. Whitney" which since then I can't stop writing and my organization has fell into place. I admit I am the worst speller in the world, thank god for spell check and Webster's Dictionary.

I'm very much loved as my husband has allowed me to follow my heart and pursue my happiness without having to work. I'm hoping my writing and passions (gardening, home steading, psychic abilities, history) fall together which one day maybe they will start to pay some bills.

I'm excited to be here and working on my first mystery

Coffee Lover

timberline

• Cub
    • Allotropic Lucubrations
« Reply #339 on: August 16, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »

Thanks for the welcome, Bob.  I tripped over this site purely by accident.  I'm a writer who keeps getting drawn back to mysteries.  “Chain of Events,” a Det. Mike Mullally story, was published by Over My Dead Body! July 24, 2010, at http://www.overmydeadbody.com/giersbch.htm.  An earlier Mike Mullally story appeared in Big Pulp, and I’m expanding a piece on him into a novella as we speak. And two pieces with Jimmy Huang, Hong Kong detective, appeared in the now-defunct Mouth Full of Bullets.
   My fiction has appeared in Bewildering Stories,  Big Pulp, Every Day Fiction, Everyday Weirdness, Lunch Hour Stories, Mouth Full of Bullets, Mystery Authors, OG Short Fiction, Northwoods Journal, Paradigm Journal, Short Fiction World, Southern Fried Weirdness, and Written Word.  A comic novel in two volumes of short stories, Cruising the Green of Second Avenue, has been published by Wild Child (www.wildchildpublishing.com). Oh, and there were three decades of corporate communications experience prior to getting some fun out of writing.
Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Wild Child Publishing,  *Link Removed* . More good stuff at  *Link Removed* .

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #340 on: August 16, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »

Welcome, Walt.

Read and enjoyed your "Chain of Events".  Nice writing, good short story...well paced.

This is a nice forum with lots of good experienced people willing to help others.  I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Good luck with your Mullaly novella.

Old Bill

Criminal_Writer

• Cub
  • Routinely Entering the Minds of the Worst
« Reply #341 on: August 27, 2010, 08:15:09 PM »

Hey guys. I'm from Massachusetts, and I'm looking to enter the world of criminal fiction for the first time. Haven't published a book so far, although I've written for a newspaper as a sports writer. Looking forward to taking part in the discussion on mystery writing.

Emperor007

• Cub
    • Mystery In Lace
« Reply #342 on: October 21, 2010, 03:25:36 AM »

I am so glad to be here and I thank you for your acceptance.   I am a published author and screen writer.   I have a website that is for reader and writers of woman sleuths and other adventuresses.  I tried to help others with links for developing story lines and such or providing excerpts for readers  of both my upcoming books, as well as, others.  I think I have given as much information about my motives for being here and about myself that should be expected on an introduction from a new member.  Thank you.

fleamailman

• Cub
« Reply #343 on: October 24, 2010, 05:59:19 PM »

"...hi..." said the goblin, friendly as ever, continuing "...really nothing much to say about me I suppose, married, two children, etc., but then it gets more complicated doesn't it, I mean I could go on explaining yet more external details here, which you would then rightly dismiss as merely superficial, demeaning, and cheap, whereas who I really am , who I am inside that is, is something I can't even begin to explain then, other than by saying that it merely none of those external superficialities again, for how else can one explain it now..."

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:11:42 PM by fleamailman »

Sandy

• Cub
« Reply #344 on: October 26, 2010, 11:50:28 PM »

Greetings and Multitudinous Felicitations  :)

I'm Sandra - username Ratsach. I've been writing Tolkien based fanfiction for about 8 years. Two years ago I decided to branch out into totally original writing. My first published short story will be out Nov. 1st.

I want to write a cozy mystery, as that is what has been my favorite type of story for most of my life. I am, however, having trouble getting started. I'm hoping hanging out with other mystery readers and writers will help me to channel my story. ;)

I'm in my 50s with a wonderful husband, two grown children, three grand kids and two cats. Hubby and I like Bluegrass music. He plays five-string banjo and I play at being a fiddler.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal