Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 116
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192292 times)

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #345 on: October 28, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »

Welcome, Sandra:

You sound very talented...I like music but all I can play is the radio (old joke from Old Bill). ::)

Lots of good people here willing to help.  Good luck with your break into the cozy world.

Congrates on the publishing of your short...just curious-where was the SS published?

Old Bill

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #346 on: October 31, 2010, 02:44:31 AM »

Welcome to all the new members. I've been away for a while, but I enjoyed reading all your posts. You'll like it here. Jump in and make yourself at home.

Lynette

lpayeur

• Cub
« Reply #347 on: November 01, 2010, 02:38:14 PM »

Hello, all! New to the forum, I've just been poking around! I've wanted to be a writer since I learned how to read and write! I think I may have been the only 4th grader reading V. C. Andrews! Needless to say my vocabulary also outgrew my peers! I love to read a good horror or thriller, Stephen King is always at the top of my reading list. With four kids, however, it hasn't been easy to read or write! So, as my passion to write has grown immensely, my ability to sleep has dipped to 3 or 4 hours.

Samantha Fury

• Cub
Hello, I'm really new here. Samantha
« Reply #348 on: November 23, 2010, 03:18:43 PM »

HI!  I'm Jacks Girl over at Christian Writers, here I am Samantha or Sam.

I write Mystery Drama Romance.  I love this place already.  I'm always needing some info on police or detectives.  Can't wait to get into the fray of things. 

I have self published one book, sold 70 so far.  My fan base is growing and I'm working on my second book.  I will post links to my web site when I find out if this is allowed.  I thank you all for welcmoing me into your home. 

Please excuse any bad speeling until I learn how to spell check on this site.. LOL!!

my novel is no Amanzon Street Justice Charlie's Angel

SvensKenR

• Cub
« Reply #349 on: November 28, 2010, 12:45:41 PM »

Hi, Bob, I'm Ken, in southeastern PA, (Philadelphia suburbs).

I was a Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie fan in childhood and was told as a child I should be a writer. Well, as John Steinbeck (I believe) put it, you should write because you have something to say, and that can be very hard to define.

I am currently working off and on upon a short story that originated from reading that "Ellery Queen" welcomes new writers, and from working in the mortgage industry for a number of years. It is also influenced by my B.A. in Russian and general interest in Russian culture. I am wondering if Jewish readers will object to an attempt to create Jewish protagonists when I'm not Jewish - but Zane Grey was not a cowboy, either. Part of the reason for that choice was the setting of the story: Philadelphia's "Little Kiev" corridor.

I also had a strong interest in sci-fi in my younger years and tried to write some of that, but after becoming a Christian I found that most sci-fi necessarily ignores any prospect of Christ returning - something that makes it very difficult to project ahead by centuries. Not to mention that as a genre it more often flouts conservative morality than not. A flavor which some of its most famous founders, most notably Asimov, imparted to it.

My literary influences include the classic Russian authors, one or two modern ones, (especially Solzhenitsyn), Winston Churchill, C.S. Forester, Heinlein, A.E. Van Vogt, and many others.

One reason I am trying to start with a short story is that economy of space and time is mandatory, and I constantly have to watch the tendency to create a new character as a source of dialogue every time the story changes direction. (FYI for readers: even Leo Tolstoy, the epitome of long-winded Russian authors - "War & Peace", "Anna Karenina", etc. - was able to write short stories. One of them, "Notes of a Madman," had a lot to do with my eventually becoming a Christian.) So maybe I can do it too.

Hawk

• Cub
« Reply #350 on: December 08, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »

Hello All

Just popping my head in to say thank you for having me - though that may not prove agreeable once you start reading my work!

I mainly write fantasy -which in my story is a mystery/thriller in a fantasy setting - does that make sense?

I do have another work - put it away some years ago for a reason I can no longer remember. The original title was "Black is not always White" - it may be changed later.

The story centers around how five men, in five different locations, could have been killed by the same attacker when all the deaths happened on the same day, at the same time - with onlookers describing exactly the same the same person as the killer.

Adding to the mystery is the fact that ballistics have proved that the gun used to kill the five men was used in every one of the deaths.

Anyone want to make a guess how?

It is possible, I can assure you!

Looking forward to reading your WIP asap.

Cheers

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #351 on: December 09, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »

Welcome Hawk:

Sounds like you have an interesting story going.  Good luck with it.  Not too many people post WIPs unless they have a specific problem or need a review of a certain part...but don't let that stop you if you'd like to post something.  There is a special critique section of the forum that is only available to members after sign in...bottom of forum page...where most post their stuff for critique.

I'll take a guess at the ballistics:  If someone handloaded a once-fired projectile into a new casing and refired that bullet in a gun without rifling, it could conceivably keep the rifling marks on the projectile to seem to have been fired by a different gun.  Hmmm...I'll have to try that sometime.  Problem is unless a gunsmith made the barrel specially for that, there are few if any smoothbore guns around.

Again...good luck,

Old Bill

twbwrites

• Cub
« Reply #352 on: December 20, 2010, 04:22:43 AM »

Hello all,

My name is Tom and I'm in central Texas. Working on my finishing my first short story after many, many stops and starts. I am currently trying to finish John Dickson Carr and Carter Dickson series, have had a hard time finding them all in paperback (OOP).

I'm an old-fashioned mystery fan - Christie, Queen, and Carr are definitely my influences. The more impossible (and far-fetched) the crime, the better!!!

Thanks,

TWB

sinister

• Cub
    • Sinister
« Reply #353 on: December 27, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »

Greetings.  My name is Ethan and I'm in sunny Portland, Oregon. 

I'm working on a sci-fi noir-ish (kind of) murder mystery that I originally wrote as part of National Novel Writing Month in 2009.  I've also got two other half-written novels that I'm working on, and I also write short stories and poetry. 

As far as mystery writing is concerned, I am a complete novice.  My first draft of this novel is ...not very good, but it was fun to write.  So I'm doing research, making notes, and trying to hammer out a coherent plot with realistic and interesting characters.

My exposure to mystery fiction is limited to a little bit of Agatha Christie, a fair chunk of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and a smattering of noir (well, Humphrey Bogart.)

:-)

mandacity

• Cub
« Reply #354 on: January 05, 2011, 09:50:58 AM »

Hi,
Just introduced myself on Bob's site?  I'm a little confused - not an uncommon or particularly distressful state for me.   How many different sites are on this forum?  Anyway I'm a cozy writer.  Never seem to finish what I write.  Have three mysteries started and all kinds of scribblings tossed here and there.  Hope this site can keep me motivated.  Live in Minnesota.  Am very cold.

Mandacity

the_anonymous_echo

• Cub
« Reply #355 on: January 18, 2011, 02:37:42 AM »

Greetings. I'm Jonah, grad student and aspiring writer--I think. Truthfully I''ve only recently been rolling around the idea of making stories of my own. I had to take a few creative writing courses as an undergrad and I was told that I seem to have an aptitude for it. Before that I'd really only written a little poetry and lyrics for the band I was in. But I've always been an avid reader and mystery is easily my favorite. Now that I'm done trying to be a rock star and I'm focusing on my masters I can't seem to throw this idea I have of a hardboiled P.I. His character and the world around him is taking shape whether I like it or not--but I think I like it. So here I am at the beginning of this new avenue in my life and I figured it would be nice to interact with some like-minded souls. From what I've read in the posts so far this seems like a relaxed, supportive group of nice folks who are genuinely passionate about literature. Hope I can contribute. Anyway...howdy!

shanteper

• Cub
« Reply #356 on: February 05, 2011, 09:28:40 PM »

Hello, I'm Shannon and I love to read and write mysteries. I'm a kindergarten teacher by day, so I've usually had my fill of happy faces and rays of sunshine by the time I get home and am ready for a nice bloody dead body or two.
I have sold two mysteries for middle grade children to a small press. The first should come out early this spring. The crimes have gotten little more serious in each book, and I realized I was no longer content with vandalism and arson, and wanted to write a murder, so I've moved on to adult fiction. Granted, my first attempt is a cozy. Baby steps.
My favorite modern mystery authors are Tana French, Elizabeth George, and Reginald Hill, but Agatha Christie will always be my hero. I live in Florida, but love British mysteries.
I'm excited about meeting other mystery addicts like myself!

Stetson

• Cub
« Reply #357 on: February 08, 2011, 12:21:23 PM »

Hi guys, I'm Frank and I'from Italy.

I always loved mysteries and started writing about crime when I was 12. Now I write detective stories set in the U.S. and my stories are much better... or at least I hope so.

My favourite authors are Raymond Chandler, Robert Crais and John Grisham. But, in my opinion, the best is James Ellroy.

Hope to see you around,

Stetson.

scattolina

• Cub
« Reply #358 on: February 25, 2011, 11:30:01 AM »

Hello from Cary on beautiful Whidbey Island in Washington State:) I am writing a mystery/thriller featuring a serial killer set here on Whidbey Island. I took early retirement from teaching to finally get serious about my writing. I belong to a novel writing group here. Whidbey has been described by Seattle newspapers as "The World's Largest Artist Colony."

I owned a mystery bookstore for four years  in California and am a life-long mystery reader. I calculated at one point (while I owned my bookstore)  that I'd read more than twelve thousand. I continue to read several a week.

In order to jumpstart my creativity, I recently enrolled in an on-line novel writing class and have joined Sisters in Crime. I also decided to get more in touch with the mystery-writing community.

Regards,
Cary

vtcs

• Cub
« Reply #359 on: February 27, 2011, 08:40:05 PM »

Hi,
My name is Vivian Chern Shnaidman and I was one of the early members of the original MWF, way back in 1997. My first (and so far only) novel was published in 2001 - exactly one week before 9/11. I got dumped and sad and I basically fell off the writing wagon. In my "day job" I'm a forensic psychiatrist and I've been focusing on my regular work and my family for the past ten years or so. My goal for this year is to either find a real agent and editor, or to self-publish my two additional books on Amazon and/or B&N.com. I say that I'm too busy, but I was almost as busy when I wrote the books to begin with - I know I'm just afraid to fail again.
So I'm back here - I think some of the old crowd is still here - I was so emotional reading through the old posts and seeing the familiar names! It's going to take me a while to get the hang of this format, so I apologize in advance for screwing up!
If anyone is interested in my one existing novel it's called HOMICIDAL INTENT and it was published as a paperback original by Dell in 2001. By Vivian Chern (Didn't use the Shnaidman for that - long story - but I may use it now - what do you guys think?)
Regards to all,
Vivian
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal