Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 65
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Welcome Wagon Thread  (Read 192297 times)

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: The Welcome Wagon Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 27, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »

Welcome Back, Vivian.

Good to have you with us again.

Dave

MarciaPost

• Cub
« Reply #361 on: March 01, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »

Hi, I'm passing through and beginning to realize just now what an interesting place this is.  I'm currently on the west coast and looking forward to the next Mystery Writers conference at Book Passages in Marin.

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #362 on: March 01, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »

Vivian!

Re your message below:

If anyone is interested in my one existing novel it's called HOMICIDAL INTENT and it was published as a paperback original by Dell in 2001. By Vivian Chern (Didn't use the Shnaidman for that - long story - but I may use it now - what do you guys think?)

Welcome back!  

I was looking forward to getting Homicidal Intent autographed by you at the 2001 Bouchercon in DC, but you were a no-show (though, to be fair, so were about a third of the registrants).

Since you've left, I've left my old job and gotten a new one with the AMTRAK Police (I'm already a sergeant), I've had my first book published (a collection of true crime articles called Just the Facts), I've won a Spur Award from the Western Writers of America (Best Short Non-Fiction for one of the chapters in JTF), and my first novel (still-unpublished), was a finalist in the CWA's Debut Dagger competition.  And I'm now the police technical advisor for the Dick Tracy comic strip, and (in April) will start doing their "Crime Stopper Textbook" feature for the Sunday strip.

And that's just me.  Think how much catching up you have to do!

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #363 on: March 03, 2011, 08:49:02 AM »

Vivian!  So good to see you here again.  I often wonder about all those great people who were so much a part of the forum "back in the old days".   All the best with getting back into your writing!

ambermg

• Cub
    • Amber Unpublished
« Reply #364 on: March 24, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »

Hi, I'm Amber. I'm about halfway through my suspense novel. I've written several other novels in other genres before I decided to try my hand at a mystery/suspense. I'm excited because I feel like I've finally found my genre. The first five pages of this ms and the synopsis won first place in the Winter WMX Grabber competition judged by Tom Colgan of Penguin Books. So now I'm just trying to finish it and make it the best I can. That's why I'm here.....

I just finished reading, "Sing you Home," by Jodi Picoult (love her).

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Amber

*Link Removed*

Lillian

• Cub
« Reply #365 on: March 29, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »

Hi

I'm Lillian and I hail from South Australia. I write romantic comedies and romantic suspense. My first romantic suspense novel is due for publication with Siren BookStrand in June. I seem to have cracked the e-publishing market but I would dearly love to step up to the big leagues and get an agent and a NY publisher.  I have a lot to learn and a long way to go.

Thanks for letting me join I am looking forward to meeting you all.

Best wishes
Lillian

Eyre

• Cub
  • Writing my 1st novel
« Reply #366 on: April 05, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »

Hi Everyone!

Well, I am probably well out of my element here, but I had a wild hair today and thought up what I think is a great novel plot. Long story short, I got the idea from reading the latest chapter of a "Castle" fan fiction story today and within 3 minutes I went from "how the author could have added a twist" to "OMG! I think I just laid out a brand new novel!".

Now, I have to:
  • Create brand new characters
  • Figure out the WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHY, and HOW
  • Map out the chapters
  • And then write 2 novels. Yes, 2. That's part of the plot *wiggles eyebrows*

Only problem is, while I have read my fair share of murder mysteries, I'm deep deep 'green' when it comes to writing them.  My Dad is a retired police officer (not homicide detective), so I can gleen some technical stuffs from him. Otherwise, I foresee myself doing a LOT of research!

Just a warning, I will not be posting often here (at least in the beginning) because I will be reading a lot of posts here, doing at least the first 3 of my above to-do list, and do my 'day-job' (small business owner - build and host websites and SEO services ... number of employees = ME!).

May I ask - how do you all ask questions and yet provide enough background of your story without actually giving away your story (that could potentially be plagiarized)? Not that I am being paranoid about that aspect. But I do want to know how much I should detail when asking questions in the future.

Any other tips/tricks for a budding murder mystery writer? Anything I need to do at the very beginning of the process so as to avoid headaches later on?

And how the heck do you create new characters when all you have in your head are previously created characters (from books and TV shows)?

Thank you for providing this forum and I hope to learn much from you all!

~ Barbara Eyre ~

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #367 on: April 06, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »

Welcome, Barb.  I think a lot of your questions will be answered just by searching this forum and finding out how things are done.  There is a lot of talent here.  I am an unpublished writer with several works in progress (WIPs).  Remember we all started from scratch.  I've never given a thought about plagiarism on this site given the quality of the people I have interacted with.  But if you are concerned, be aware that the 'Critique Area' is only visible to signed in members if you need to keep something sorta private.  Also many members are available for critiques via a personal message or email.  Mostly, you can ask a question in a generic way and get some great feedback.

Now that you have an idea, the rest of the story will come out of your mind.  (My wife says I'm out of my mind a lot.) ::)  So just let yourself go wild and create characters you think will be interesting.  By the time you are well into the story, you might not even recognize your original idea it will have changed so much.

So, good luck and good research.

Old Bill

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #368 on: April 23, 2011, 12:05:21 AM »

Hi and welcome to all the people who have joined MWF in the past few months. After being a member for years, I was locked out for some reason, but I'm back in again.

A special hello to Vivian Chern. Great to see you back. And to those of you who haven't read it, I have a copy of HOMICIDAL INTENT. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Hope you will write more, Vivian.

Lynette

ty treadwell

• Cub
« Reply #369 on: May 14, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »

Hi everyone,

After browsing the site for a while, I've finally found time to join in the conversations.  I've been writing mystery and suspense stories for many years and have just put together a collection of both published and unpublished tales called Down a Crooked Road, by Ty Treadwell.  I'm looking forward to comparing notes on both the short story market and the book market for mysteries right now.

http://www.tytreadwell.com

Jed Power

• Cub
« Reply #370 on: May 19, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jed Power.  Years ago, after becoming discouraged with the endless rounds my crime novels made to publishers & agents, I put them aside in disgust.  Now the bug has bitten again and I've dusted off all 5 and am doing re-writes (1 needs almost nothing; most a lot).  I also have had a few short stories published.
     I collect vintage Noir/Hardboiled paperbacks which in part includes a near complete collection of Dan Marlowe who was my Dad's best friend. 
     Hope to have some fun & pick up on all the changes that have come about since I dropped my pen.  Thanks.  Jed

Frederick Williams

• Cub
« Reply #371 on: May 31, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »

Hello All,

Many thanks for having me as a new member. I hope I can cope!!!

I mainly write fantasy, but, I have had this idea for a mystery novel floating around in my head for ages and can't shake it off.

My best to all.

Rowan

• Cub
« Reply #372 on: June 12, 2011, 09:43:56 PM »

Hello! I am Rowan and I am a young writer with delusions of grandeur.

Right now I am working on a cozy and plodding my way through some of the greats. I am fairly sure that the contents of my bookcase makes my roommates nervous. My latest purchase, The Invention of Murder by Judith Flanders.

I guess I joined for some help working my way through the various intricacies of my stories.

Kiiti.
"In my opinion, a girl is entitled to attempt desperate measures to get her man."

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #373 on: June 19, 2011, 11:18:17 PM »

I think I'm going to go ahead and close this thread out. I'm running a mod that sends out a "Welcome" post to every new member, so having two threads to say hi in is probably redundant.

New folks, feel free to introduce yourselves in your Welcome post. Anyone who's wanting to see what's going on with others is welcome to start a chatting thread.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 47 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal