Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where Is Everyone?  (Read 2231 times)

stevent

• Expositor
Re: Where Is Everyone?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 03:06:35 PM »

I'm officially in the doldrums. Was asked for a major rewrite on a book, but I've never really done that before. I'd rather write a new book...

Otherwise, I have about thirty other writing projects waiting for me to get some energy. Depressed that my best book so far has gotten pretty close to zero in terms of reviews (even after I collected a dozen very nice blurbs). I have the sneaking suspicion that this is what the end of a writing career feels like. Oh well.

New story up at http://www.shredofevidence.com. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Janet Koch

• Expositor
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 04:50:08 PM »

Steve, I wish I had time to read your story right now. I'll come back later and take a look -- I'm sure it's wonderful. Your writing always is. And please don't give in to despair! You're much too talented.

Lee, hope your dog is doing better. So sad when you can't help your little friends.

I've been busy busy busy. Trying to do the final edits on a thriller. Writing township meeting reports for the local newspaper. Writing reviews. Doing manuscript critiques for friends. And, oh yeah, the day job. Can't forget that.

Janet

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »

Lynette, you're doing much better than I am.  I'm not promoting any more.  If people aren't interested, too damn bad. They won't get any more Akitada novels.

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 01:26:03 PM »

Well, I'm back after a great train trip to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, taking my son back to college the day after we got back, putting together a 13th birthday  party and celebration for my daughter (no decorations. No singing of Happy Birthday allowed. Black flowers on cake. "Hanging out at the mall" as a party activity. Ack, teen years!) getting aforesaid daughter back up to speed in school, going to my DH's 40th high school reunion -- but finally I'm back.

I've been looking at my WIP rewrite for 2 days, and have no clue what I was doing when I paused in August. Or what to do next.

Meanwhile it's a cool bright gorgeous September day, just like it was on a Tuesday 6 years ago, which I keep thinking about...

Kathy W.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 02:02:04 PM »

Steven, I fall in and out of the doldrums.  I'm working on a new one (nothing Japanese) and will have to do a rewrite on a monster of a novel next. Since it has been rejected by about 10 editors already, I see little reward in that.

As for you:  I read THE CONCRETE MAZE and told you what a wonderful book it is.  The reviewing business is drying up for me also.  I'm used to getting reviews from all 4 big ones: PW, Kirkus, Book List, and Library Journal.  I got only one this time (2 last time). I doubt any papers will pick up ISLAND OF EXILES, except the ever faithful JAPAN TIMES, and ASIAN REPORTER.  The fact that we don't have hc has much to do with the reviewing problem.  And at this point, the quality of the book has nothing to do with it.  Most reviewers have not caught on that many outstanding books are published pb because the market is so tight and they sell better. Supposed to, anyway.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

* Calendar
July 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal