Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 96
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: who wrote "it's a dirty job,but..."  (Read 3682 times)

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
who wrote "it's a dirty job,but..."
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:54:44 AM »

I thought I remembered first encountering the widely used expression (or a variant pretty close to it), "It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it," in a noir detective story from, probably the thirties. However, I haven't been able to remember what I was reading at the time, unless maybe The Maltese Falcon, which doesn't seem to be the right guess after all. My first encounter needn't have been with the originator of the expression anyway, but at the time I thought it was.  It's a book title by somebody named Moore, but he clearly came along much later.  Was any regular noir reader sufficiently struck by the expression to remember where it was used?  I thought maybe it occurred somewhere near "through these mean streets," etc.---and maybe it's one of those things (there are getting to be more and more of them) that I look right  past without seeing.
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: who wrote "it's a dirty job,but..."
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:32:19 AM »

Byron,
It strikes me as the sort of thing Alexander the Great would have said. Many many times, as he pillaged his way east.  He was big on justification. Or maybe it was the foot troops following Hannibal's elephants.  But, it definitely was not "Dirty Harry".

Sorry, that's what happens when my mind gets tickled and it's raining again.

Good luck,
Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Charles King

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • The Mysterious Writ
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:11:29 PM »

Hi Bryon,
I didn’t have time to browse through all the entries. I’ll leave the legwork for you, but I didn’t see a noir title on my brief glance at the following link. There was one from 1899, 1901, and a novel from 1916 listed, so I’m guessing the phrase is much older than the golden days of noir. Still about 700 hits popped up and your specific book might be there.

Too, for everyone else … I do historical research online often, and the greatest tool I’ve found in ten+ years is Google Books.

CKing   8)

http://books.google.com/books?as_q=&num=50&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=it%27s+a+dirty+job&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_brr=0&as_pt=ALLTYPES&lr=&as_vt=&as_auth=&as_pub=&as_sub=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&as_isbn=&as_issn=

A writer must teach himself that the basest of all things is to be afraid.

William Faulkner

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »

Didn't lead me to the book I could be fooling myself about in the first place, but I hadn't known about Google Books before this.  So naturally I immediately searched for my own three.  Only one of them is listed, and as publisher they listed not the actual publisher, but the POD printer ---which just happens to have been purchased by Amazon.   The other two didn't show up at all, even though the printer is the same for all three.

I had already googled "It's a dirty job, but somebody" already, and got lots of irrelevant references, but that wasn't via Google Books---just plain Google.  None of the ones I checked on then was actually early, and the list you implied is pretty long, so that I don't blame you at all for not pursuing them all.  I think maybe I won't either.  Your argument that the expression must really go way back seems sound, but if it's in Bartlett, I missed it.

Thanks for the information!

Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal