Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 103
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3-Day Novel?  (Read 9667 times)

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
3-Day Novel?
« on: July 18, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »

Most of us have probably heard of NaNoWriMo. I know a few have even participated.

Has anyone heard of the 3-Day Novel Contest?
Can you produce a masterwork of fiction in three short days? The 3-Day Novel Contest is your chance to find out. For more than 30 years, hundreds of writers have stepped up to the challenge every Labour Day weekend, fuelled by nothing but adrenaline and the desire for spontaneous literary nirvana. It’s a thrill, a grind, a 72-hour kick in the pants and an awesome creative experience. How many crazed plotlines, coffee-stained pages, pangs of doubt and moments of genius will next year’s contest bring forth? And what will you think up under pressure?
I didn't see exact mention of the prizes on the website, but apparently first prize is publication, at least according to the Facebook blurb I saw.

Probably not for me, at least not this year. But there it is for others.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: 3-Day Novel?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »

This is a terrific concept, and it makes me so glad that I'm safely retired and can just enjoy the idea without feeling compelled to try it  :D

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:25:56 PM »

50,000 words in a month!  Are they kidding! 

Two of the books I've written were done in less than a month - and they were each 75,000 word, at least.  Of course I was only work two ro three hours a day, but I was writing every day.  I found I blocked at fifteen pages - regardless of how long or short a time it took me to write them, once I got fifteen pages written, my brain would shut down and refuse to work any more. 

I haven't had that much freedom to write for almost three years now.  I wonder if I could do it again ...

As for writing a novel in three days, I'm afraid I'd fail on that ... forty-five pages a novel does not make.

Matthew S.

ps:  for those interested, the two novels were HIERARCHY OF TERROR and QUANTUM LEAP: DOUBLE DILEMMA (which was picked up by the editor but never published)

ambermg

• Cub
    • Amber Unpublished
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:45:35 PM »

I participated in this last labor day weekend. It was an amazing experience. Clearly I didn't win but I learned a lot about my writing process and was proud of myself for producing a novel in three days....
Amber

*Link Removed*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal