Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 172
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titles & Stars  (Read 25776 times)

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Titles & Stars
« on: October 17, 2006, 12:39:41 PM »

One of the things the forum does is count your posts, based on a couple of settings I can change.(posts in the Test Forum don't count, for example).

The original levels were very bland (Newbie, Jr. Member, up to "Hero member). I decided to liven that part up a bit, and grabbed some synonyms from http://www.thesaurus.com. So now we have

Cub
Scribbler
Hack
Ink Slinger
Expositor
Ink-Stained Wretch
Wordsmith

At each level you can add a graphic to the user. I left that at 1-5 stars, so once you hit 5 stars, only your title changes.

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Janet Koch

• Expositor
Re: Titles & Stars
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 04:08:52 PM »

Huh. You know, at first I didn't care, but the more I look at my "cub" status, the more it bothers me. (Okay, not really, but...well...you know.)

I'm willing to bet I didn't use the same name to log on here as I did on the original MWF. My log on there is automatic due to the sad fact that I have the memory of a flea. Is there a way to add my 'credits' to this site without too much pain on your part? And it seems to me I had two log in names there for some reason....

Thanks, Bob!

Janet Koch AKA JanetK AKA JanetRK AKA JanetRKoch and who knows what else I might have used
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 11:58:43 AM by Janet Koch »

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 04:43:10 PM »

Is there a way to add my 'credits' to this site without too much pain on your part? And it seems to me I had two log in names there for some reason....
Done! (and painlessly, too, except for this hangnail. :D )

It looks as though I'll only be able to do that until the end of the month. I talked to Lauri, and there doesn't seem to be a way to dump out the membership list from the old site, so if an "original" member signs up after the end of October, I'll just have to come up with an arbitrary number.

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

penny

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 05:04:51 PM »

While we're on the subject of these new additions, I'm surprised at myself when I find myself bothered by the Karma thing. Like a popularity/unpopularity test. So, OK, I'm past the age, and I'll keep doing my thing regardless blah, blah, blah, but still...

Penny :-\

Brenda B.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 09:49:52 AM »

What is this Karma thing? And what happens if you click on applause or smite? Thanks for explaining the titles and stars Bob.
Purchase the Alex Masters Mystery series consisting of: Dead Birds Don't Sing, JailBird, A Bird By Any Other Name, and SwanSong at writewordsinc.com or amazon.com
"Dead Birds..." and "Jailbird" are now available in print!

Janet Koch

• Expositor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 11:59:40 AM »

Thanks, Bob. I feel much better now (in a childish sort of way).

Janet

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 10:50:37 AM »

I'm willing to bet I didn't use the same name to log on here as I did on the original MWF. My log on there is automatic due to the sad fact that I have the memory of a flea. Is there a way to add my 'credits' to this site without too much pain on your part? And it seems to me I had two log in names there for some reason....

Thanks, Bob!

Me, too. I had to register at MWF (Zott) at least 3 times, and each time used some form of Ella--ella5, ella 5, ella...
It bothers me, too--I'd much rather be an ink-stained wretch or more--it sort of indicates I'm hard at work, writing words, crumpling paper, tearing hair...
An expositor seems to stand, high and mighty, at the podium, uuh, expositing or something.
(or is that de-positing?)
Can you also find all MY parts and at least sling some ink on me?
Thanks.
(the new and improved version of) Ella(5)

Pomorzany

• Hack
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 12:11:43 PM »

Duh!  The Old Lady (which is how i refer to myself in my high school classes) is utterly lost when it comes to these star things.
Like Penny, there's something about them that throws me back to elementary school when I had the feeling I didn't quite make the grade.

Teacher, how can I get more stars?

Jane Berman

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 12:40:46 PM »

Hey, Ella, our Benevolent Dictator is one of us (an Expositor), so you can't say we aren't in pretty good company. ;D

ella

• Expositor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 04:07:14 PM »

heheheh!

Janet Koch

• Expositor
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 04:20:44 PM »

Looky at all of Ella's stars!  :)

Janet

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 07:53:44 PM »

Hey, Bob.  Do I get to be an Ink Slinger at 250 posts?  I'm tired of being a Hack and hope I'm almost "promoted."

Susan

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 08:53:14 PM »

Yup. 250, then 500, then 1000.

--
Bob

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »

Teacher, how can I get more stars?

I came to your post a bit late, but my automatic reflex was to pump your Karma up by one unit (easily done), and if I do that every few hours for a while, that may not produce stars, but it should make you feel good, which is what the stars are for, also, except they seem to reflect activity on your part, not appreciation by others. (Every few hours is too often, so don't expect my Karma-pumping alone to do the trick---just feel good about whatever you get [except for smitings, which are pretty rare here].)
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal