Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 236
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YA mystery  (Read 8464 times)

Kelly K.

• Cub
YA mystery
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:35:05 PM »

I guess it was last summer I started a young-adult mystery (I'm determined to finish one this summer, rather than starting something new!).  It is a who-dunit with clues and red herrings -- I'm happy with that. 

What I am concerned about are the murders -- all off-scene and gore-less (I guess that's not a word, but it should be).  They are murders of high school students, and the killer is a high school student. 

I'm definitely writing the book, but I'm wondering -- assuming it does finally end up being good enough to publish -- would the fact that the students and the killer are teenagers be a problem?  As I said, I'm writing it anyway, because I'm enjoying it, but I am kind of wondering.  I think about as graphic as I get in my details is something like one student saying to another, "There was a knife stuck in her back." 

Kat

• Hack
Re: YA mystery
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:32:57 PM »

Young Adult is open to almost anything so there might not be any problem. One of the sites that might help you is www.verlakay.com. It is a forum for children's writers who write in all genres. The members over there will definitely be able to help you answer questions about young adult trends, do's and don'ts, and so on. Go to forums and links then to the  "message board" to find the discussion area like this.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:41:11 PM by Kat »

Lance Charnes

• Ink Slinger
    • Wombat Group
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 10:39:09 PM »

Read Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games books, then decide whether your story is too violent. They feature teenagers killing other teenagers for the entertainment of a corrupt, decadent ruling class. The books are brilliant.

Remember that Harry Potter has a lengthy body count and multiple, very vivid on-stage murders.

Kids are tougher than their parents.
DOHA 12
On Kindle and Nook
Paperback: Amazon | B&N

Twitter | Facebook

wonderactivist

• Scribbler
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:50:28 AM »

I agree with Lance.  There seem to be just about no rules with the YA fiction and a huge market.  I work part-time at a bookshop and yA just keeps growing and taking over more endcap and display space.  The most popular that I see with the bookstore is anything to do with vampires, but you also might want to take a look at Patterson's YA series, Maximum Ride. 

Warm regards,

Lucie

Kelly K.

• Cub
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »

Thanks all  :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 41 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal