Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 231
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOVIES: Robert Downey, Jr as Sherlock Holmes--The Horror!  (Read 17880 times)

wonderactivist

• Scribbler
Re: MOVIES: Robert Downey, Jr as Sherlock Holmes--The Horror!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 02:57:23 PM »

Huge AC Doyle fan here, and I agree, the movie surprised me - I LOVED it - the grit and the fight scenes were completely on the mark! 

Not much to add to what's already been said except that we have the original Strand illustrations and Jude Law is a dead ringer for Watson.   I adored Jeremy Brett, but his one flaw I felt was his portrayal of Holmes was too clean.  If Hollywood needed to spice up Holmes for a new generation, I'd much rather they tinker with Irene Adler than Sherlock!   

Lucie

linda

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 03:18:20 PM »

It has obviously been a long, long time since I've reread my Holmes collections.  I should have realized that Jim and the rest would be able to keep me straight on the accuracy of the movie.

My purpose was to move these posts back into the forefront so that others would also enjoy the movie, and apparently that has been done.  I'm glad that the rest of you liked it also.

Linda

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 08:08:14 PM »

Byron,

Re your question below:

Wasn't [Nero] Wolfe born in Montenegro?  Unless I'm mistaken about this, Baring-Gould has some explaining to do--though travelers do often give birth in striking places.

As I recall, Mr. Baring-Gould suggests that Wolfe was the issue of a liaison that occurred between Holmes and Miss Adler during the "long absence" when the famed sleuth, believed by the public at large to have been killed by Moriarty at Reichenbach Falls, was traveling incognito all over the world.

The contact may even have taken place in Montenegro.

This is all from memory, but if you're really interested, Baring-Gould's explanation can be found in his scholarly "biography" of Holmes, Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street.   He also suggests Holmes's parentage of Wolfe in his scholarly biography of Wolfe, Nero Wolfe of West 35th Street.
Is there anything in the description of either partner to the proposed liaison that would genetically account for Wolfe's rather robust poundage?  (Actually, I have quite a bit of trouble pretending  Wolfe, Holmes, Adler and Goodwin are real people, so I'm grateful to you and others for making the topic bright and interesting beyond where I'm willing to plod.) By the way, it's fun to go to Google Earth and seek out Wolfe's 35th St. address.  Damp, I suspect.

Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 11:05:26 AM »

Byron,

Re your question below:

Is there anything in the description of either partner to the proposed liaison that would genetically account for Wolfe's rather robust poundage? 

I believe Baring-Gould speculated that it might have been a recessive gene in Holmes that also mainfested itself in Homes's brother Mycroft.

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:54 PM »

Re my comment to Linda below:

First of all, Holmes was handy with his dukes, and was something of an athlete.  Recall the barroom punch-up he had with the villain in "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches." 

Actually, the barroom boxing match was in "The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist," not "Copper Beeches."

I guess I got them confused because in both cases Holmes's client was a pretty young nanny.

Alice

• Cub
    • Alice McCrory, Realtor
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »

Haven't been here in a very long time and what do I find?  A topic that simply doesn't come up in any part of my daily life.  Reminds me why I lurked around here so much. 

And now I'll have to go see the movie.

Alice
Alice

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 09:52:11 PM »

I went to see the movie today.  EXCELLENT!  It has the true flavor of  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's writing and not the sanitized Hollywood versions.
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 11:37:07 AM »

In the 31 December issue of National Review, apparently to coincide with the release of this movie, Theodore Dalrymple wrote a really fine article, titled "The Enternal Detective," about the enduring appeal of Holmes, and about the innate decency of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

You can find it on National Review's website here:

http://nrd.nationalreview.com/article/?q=MWRlMGYwN2I0YjdkZDY1MWM5ODk1NjJmYzM0YTc2ZTU=

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »

Thanks, Jim. It's a very fine article.
Byronjavascript:void(0);
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

TheDeeMan

• Hack
    • The Continentals
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 04:34:24 AM »

Loved the movie. HATED RDJ as Holmes.

Dee
THE CONTINENTALS. Murder. Mystery. Intrigue. Adventure
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/continentals/series.php

linda

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 04:40:42 PM »

I loved Downey as Sherlock Holmes.  Fortunately, people don't always agree on what's the best thing, or person, for the job.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal