Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 231
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Sidney Sheldon  (Read 10832 times)

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
RIP Sidney Sheldon
« on: January 30, 2007, 11:31:14 PM »

Sidney Sheldon, who won awards in three careers - Broadway theater, movies and television - then at age 50 turned to writing best-selling novels about stalwart women who triumph in a hostile world of ruthless men, has died, of complications from pneumonia. He was 89.

I knew he had written a boatload of books, but I had no idea how productive he really was.

He managed to win a Tony, an Oscar and an Emmy.  :o Wow. And to dictate all of his work, then 12-15 rewrites?  :o

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
Re: RIP Sidney Sheldon
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »

Bob,

Re your comment below:

He managed to win a Tony, an Oscar and an Emmy.  :o Wow. And to dictate all of his work, then 12-15 rewrites? 

He also got an Edgar nomination for his first, and arguably best, novel, The Naked Face.  Lost to Lawrence Anderson's The Anderson Tapes.  The first novel category was unusually strong that year.  Tony Hillerman's first Navajo police novel, The Blessing Way, was also a finalist.

Funny thing.  Katy and I had just seen a movie on TCM, Dream Wife, a romantic comedy with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, for which Sheldon wrote the script.  Odd how topical all the stuff about Middle East oil seemed 50 years later.

Chase

• Scribbler
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 02:13:23 PM »

Sidney Sheldon will be missed.  I first saw him as the dastardly villain who threatened Montana's own Myrna Loy in The Thin Man series.  He played such a splendid thug.  Behind the scenes, he had the courage to direct and produce Bill Cosby's early ventures.  Cosby's Sidney Sheldon imitations were hilarious.  I also liked Sheldon's books, even though I "heard" the narration in his twisted gangster voice.

Chase

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 02:19:48 PM »

Chase,

I think you're probably thinking of Sheldon Leonard, who was typed as gangsters and tough cops during his acting career, and is probably best remembered as Nick the Barkeep in It's a Wonderful Life.  He was the producer of I Spy, for which Cos won three Emmys for "Best Dramatic Actor in a Series" for his portrayal of American counter-intelligence agent Alexander "Scotty" Scott.  I believe he also may have produced Cosby's first foray into sitcom, The Bill Cosby Show, in which he played a high school gym teacher.

I'm not sure Sidney Sheldon ever acted.  I think all his movie/TV work was on the other side of the camera.

Chase

• Scribbler
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 03:52:41 PM »

Jim,

You're right.  I've confused the two . . . have for a long time.  Thanks for setting them straight in what's left of my mind.

Still can't find the Easter eggs I hid for myself last Saturday.

Chase

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 05:31:02 PM »

Isn't Sidney Sheldon the one who wrote the filthy books?  Sorry, I only know him by repute.

Ingrid (feeling superior to Sheldon)  :)

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 06:29:40 PM »

I thought he was the guy who created I DREAM OF JEANNIE and HART TO HART, and then started writing the Big Novels of his day - a competitor to that guy who did THE CARPETBAGGERS, Harold Robbins.

Matthew S.

ps:  I always enjoyed Hart to Hart when it was on the air (especially Max), but watched one the other day and felt a sad 'ho-hum' feeling inside.  I still liked it but it was the 'wow' experienced it had been a few decades ago.  Sometimes I think growing up sucks.  ms
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal