Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 48
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emerson Sues NBC  (Read 13001 times)

Debbie Matthews

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Deborah Matthews - Romance Author
Emerson Sues NBC
« on: October 05, 2006, 08:13:10 AM »

We're always taking about using/not using products in our books.  Seems Emerson is suing NBC for the use of their garbage disposal in a show.  The young super heroine stuck her hand down it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20061005/en_tv_eo/20169;_ylt=AqJzWkaAlDQ.KunX.3eg0rRxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-
Debbie
"Do or do not.  There is no try."-Yoda
---------------------
Deborah Matthews
winner of the 2002 National Reader's Choice Awards
http://deborahmatthews.net
http://shoutlife.com/deborahbriscoe

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Re: Emerson Sues NBC
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »

We're always taking about using/not using products in our books.  Seems Emerson is suing NBC for the use of their garbage disposal in a show.  The young super heroine stuck her hand down it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20061005/en_tv_eo/20169;_ylt=AqJzWkaAlDQ.KunX.3eg0rRxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-
On the one hand (oh - pardon THAT pun), I understand what Emerson is doing. At the very basic level, all they're doing is protecting their intellectual property.

But when you start examining their claim, it falls apart.
The lawsuit further stated that the scene "casts the disposer in an unsavory light, irreparably tarnishing the product" by suggesting that the appliance "will cause debilitating and severe injuries, including the loss of fingers, in the event consumers were to accidentally insert their hand into one."
I'm willing to be that their appliance will indeed cause "debilitating and severe injuries, including the loss of fingers" if you were to accidentally or deliberately stick your fingers into it. So all NBC did was to show their product working properly, although it's being misused.

Would Chrysler have a claim if they didn't like the way a PT Cruiser was (mis)used in a show? What about Glock?

And aside from anything else, I wonder how many of the 14-odd million viewers even cared what brand disposer it was?  :D
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

CarolG.

• Scribbler
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 06:06:36 PM »

:o ick ick ick!

I live in constant terror that I'm going to accidentally stick my hand into the disposal while it's on. That's probably my grandmother's fault -- when I was a kid she always made me stand back two feet before she'd turn on the disposal, like it wasn't going to jump out of the sink and grab my hand or something. Of course it would cause debilitating and severe injuries. (Wouldn't it?  ???)

I think that Emerson should consider bringing back the models that wouldn't start up unless you put the cover on and lined up the magnets...

Kathleen Taylor

• Wordsmith
  • Kathi
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »

No matter what Emerson says, a machine that can chop carrots into bits will also injure a hand- bones may be tougher than carrots, but skin isn't.

I saw the show (which I love, btw), and I didn't notice the brand at all.

Kathi

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 05:32:03 PM »

I was about to say: how do viewers know what disposal it is?  Was there a close-up of the brand name?  Maybe Emerson have caused their own problem by announcing to the world that it is their disposal that chewed off a hand in a movie.

linda

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 04:58:58 PM »

Instead of suing for showing their product in an "unsavory light" why didn't Emerson sue for the fact that the show used their disposal to show a person using their disposal in an incorrect manner?

Then they could still sue them to stop showing the disposal and bring to light that this shouldn't happen if you used it correctly.

Oops...sorry.  I was thinking logically and I forgot that we're talking about lawyers.

Linda
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 41 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal