Life and Death > Medical Moments

Drinking rubbing alcohol

(1/2) > >>

Brenda B.:
What happens when someone drinks rubbing alcohol? How much will make them sick enough to be sent to the hospital?

Thanks!

Ingrid:
I have a distinct memory of a form of rubbing alcolhol that was withdrawn from the market because people drank it instead of liquor. I assume the current stuff (which I don't like as well for first aid purposes) either tastes nasty or is harmless. Sorry, I'd rather not try it.

Ingrid

AndyA:
I arrested on old guy once in Northern Ireland.. He was out of his brains drinking melted shoe polish. Just did a quick 'Google' on the subject and note that it's not that rare!!   :o

Andy

Lee Lofland:
To add a few to Andy's list:

Sterno
after shave lotion
cough syrup
mouthwash
vanilla extract (and other extracts)

FYI - these items are also forbidden in prison and jails

AndyA:
Yes Lee, the cough syrup rings a bell. On attending break-in's to Pharmacies it was the cough medicine what was targeted, Apparently if you can keep about 7 bottles of 'Venos' or other cough medicine down, then that would take the edge off of the 'druggies' 'need'.

Sniffing the butane gas is also a problem. Just the other day a kid was killed here in NZ. They were in a car sniffing gas from a camping bottle.. One of them decided to light a cigarette.. Up went the car.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version