Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 39
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nationality differences in dental work  (Read 11634 times)

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: Nationality differences in dental work
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 12:51:50 PM »

Just had another possibility come to mind:

He could be a German prisoner--some high-ranking officer or brilliant tactician who's been kidnapped--in the British plane or visa-versa.

Dave

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »

Re new scenario:  there should still be a way of tracking that plane. If the Germans hoped to put a spy (or a counteragent, or an escaping Nazi general) into Great Britain (risky business when the British were shooting at German planes), there would be records (and possibly witnesses) in Germany.  Hmm.  Who was flying the plane?  Only one body?  Actually there was a senior German officer who flew into Great Britain and asked for asylum. A famous affair, but I can't recall the circumstances now.

Ingrid

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 03:43:33 PM »

I think one of my favorite parts was where one person (perhaps Montagu) spent hours rubbing the ID cards and documents on his pants, everywhere he went, to give the illusion those documents were all much older than they really were.

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Lance Charnes

• Ink Slinger
    • Wombat Group
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 08:15:19 PM »

Ingrid --

There are two other skeletons in the aircraft, the pilot and copilot, dressed in standard Luftwaffe flight gear. They're not as interesting initially because they're "expected," but eventually someone will get the bright idea to examine them as well.

I haven't yet decided whether the "general" is really British or German. I'm leaning British, and this whole thing ends up being a big hairball of a wartime Special Operations Executive op that went haywire. I'm still trying to figure out if all this works before I spend a lot of time developing it further.

A lot rests on whether there's a way to tell where the skeletons came from, beyond simply looking at what they're wearing. As The Man Who Never Was points out, clothes can be deceiving. If not, there's not a lot of detection that can profitably go on to work out the mystery. If Luftwaffe records fail to mention the flight, it's not proof that the flight wasn't launched by the Germans. Besides, I don't want to spend a lot of pages on people reading in archives (I just did that in SWIFTSURE, so I probably have to lay off that for a while).

Rudolf Hess flew himself to Scotland in 1941 in an attempt to negotiate peace with Britain. It didn't work.
DOHA 12
On Kindle and Nook
Paperback: Amazon | B&N

Twitter | Facebook
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 47 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal