Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 76
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scoline  (Read 12654 times)

Lance Charnes

• Ink Slinger
    • Wombat Group
Scoline
« on: March 19, 2010, 01:22:23 AM »

Aka succinylcholine, a fast-acting muscle relaxer used in emergency rooms. Kicks in in ~1 minute, burns off within ~5 minutes. Great way to disable someone in order to kill them in an inventive way.

The question? I've been able to find out most everything about this drug except mode of administration. Is it intravenous, intramuscular or subcutaneous? Or all of the above? I've found clinical tests using it intravenously, but also read of a murder case in which a massive overdose was delivered as a shot in the butt. (Ouch!) Everyone's newest favorite dead Hamas terrorist, Mahmoud Mabhouh, was supposedly put down by the Mossad via a shot of ScolineTM in the thigh and/or behind the ear, implying intramuscular and/or subcutaneous administration.

Help! Is there a homicidal doctor (or Mossad agent) in the house?
DOHA 12
On Kindle and Nook
Paperback: Amazon | B&N

Twitter | Facebook

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Re: Scoline
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 01:29:13 AM »

Looks like IV.

It's typically used to stop breathing to allow intubation.

Good info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suxamethonium_chloride including a couple of murder cases.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:33:33 AM by Bob Mueller »
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Lance Charnes

• Ink Slinger
    • Wombat Group
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:02:22 AM »

Well, that's what I thought, too, until I read about the Coppolino case, which involved the shot in the butt.

I'm wondering if the standard usage is intravenous, but it can work in other modes, too. If it's administered via intramuscular injection, does it take longer to act? Does it stay in the system longer? I need to know how long the bad guys have to keep the soon-to-victim alive before the drug passes out of his/her system.
DOHA 12
On Kindle and Nook
Paperback: Amazon | B&N

Twitter | Facebook

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:10:36 AM »

Hi, Lance

Go to rxlist.com and type in Succinylcholine (or Anectine--a brand name).  You'll learn more about the drug than you'd care to.

It can be given Intramuscular if necessary, in which case onset of action is 2 to 3 minutes instead of the 1 minute for IV administration.

It is an ultra short acting neuromuscular depolarizing agent.  The onset of action after IV admin is 1 minute, duration of action about 2 minutes, and recovery in about  to 6 minutes.  The only way your bad guys can keep your victim hanging on that way is by shooting him/her up every couple minutes.  A better (but more involved and less practical) way to control him/her would be to incapacitate him/her with a shot then start an IV with a dose just high enough to keep him/her alive but immobile.  I think to pull that off, you'd have to have one of the bad guys be a doctor or someone else familiar with the drug.

Hope this helps

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal